Repair of Bicycle Light

JulienR

Greetings all

I have a Bontrager light that got damaged by rain
Anyone in the Gauteng region that can assist and try to repair the light?

I am hoping its a simple fix (damaged cabling, new battery)...but if more complex, i will toss the light and buy a new one but wanted to try first

Let me know if anyone can help or if you know of someone that can assist.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

There’s a place in Cydonia Road, Germiston that repairs batteries and the connections. I’ll try find the number and see if they can assist.

For some reason, this didn’t post and was available when trying to respond:

Framptons Battery Centre
+27 11 825 7274

118 Cydonia Road
Gauteng
South Africa

An alternative is Workcloud, aka Alphacell Batteries.
They’re my primary battery supplier for work, and I know they do some electronic work too.

ask for Garron
+27 83 325 0777

1 hour ago, JulienR said:

Thanks, both were closed today - will try in the week!

Could be due to the long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems April fooled me too yesterday with my bontrager also just stopped working... 

Been prefect for some time... Took it apart and no visible damage... 

Please let me know if you come right.. 

Edited by kid

• 2 months later...

@JulienR what ended up happening with the repair? 
Looking for a rear light for my MTB - was directed to look at a Bontrager Flare RT.

What model do (did) you have? 

Before you have the light repaired, just check with your local shop - Bontrager lights have a lifetime warranty on them. They should be swapped out, no questions asked if there is an issue such as water ingress etc.

@JRN89, I have 2 of their front lights and they are fantastic - would highly recommend. I know a lot of people with the rear lights and they all seem happy. The lights are also really bright, which makes you very visible out on the road.

@Schnavel thanks for the info, votes of confidence are always well received - which front light do you have? I’d probably just look at getting one at the same time as the rear. 

I have Bontrager flare rear and front ion lights. Both are excellent. My only problem is that I find the mount system too weak and too finicky for the front light. If they used a GoPro type mount the ion would be a world beater. Not an issue on the rear light which is obviously much lighter.

Have relegated the ion to backup light status after it fell off at speed for the second time in favour of the Garmin front light.

Of course testament to the build quality that it survived that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, JRN89 said:

@Schnavel thanks for the info, votes of confidence are always well received - which front light do you have? I’d probably just look at getting one at the same time as the rear. 

I have the Ion Pro.

As @Mamil mentioned, the OEM mount isn't great. If you buy the small Blendr mount, you can mount it onto the underside of your computer mount as you would a GoPro (assuming your mount has this option available). I have a K-Edge mount with my Garmin and the GoPro mount underneath. It works very well.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Schnavel said:

Before you have the light repaired, just check with your local shop - Bontrager lights have a lifetime warranty on them.

More info on this please – can't find anything on any of their websites coming close to a lifetime warranty? 😑