MTB on indoor trainer

Erika Potgieter

Hi fellow bike fans!

I recently started to zoom in on MTB'ing - coming from the background of triathlonning.  I acquired myself a brand new 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7 last year in August.  After getting my bike, I also bought a Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer. 

Note to the reader - I am a mom (one is 5, the other one just over 1), married to a farmer (so basically a single mom from 07h00 - 18h00), working 80k's from home, hence a lot of travelling and mom'ing involved in my life ;-)!  Therefore, my indoor trainer setup as opposed to taking my bike outside frequently, is my current way of life starting at 04h30 in the morning.

I visited a bike shop in my area today and overheard a client talking about the negative influences of his bike (being a carbon Cabal road bike).  His bike's frame cracked horribly, giving way when he puts out some heavy watts.  Now I know that there is a MASSIVE difference between a carbon MTB and road bike frame, but the conversation was interesting between the bike mechanic and the client talking about the negative influences of trainers on bikes.  I am worried about my current lifestyle being on the trainer with my awesome MTB almost everyday, hence possibly "shortening" my MTB's "lifespan"?  I cannot get to cycling currently in any other way.  Rarely do rides outside, but luckily I am doing something ;-).  What would your take be on this?

Edited by Erika Potgieter

Hi Erika, I really dont think you need to worry about shortening your bikes life.  I also have a carbon full-sus MTB and use it on my trainer (Elite Suito) a lot and I see no issues.

Riding off-road with your MTB would put a lot more force/stress (and wear & tare) on it than having it on a trainer.

I understand the concern from a road bike point of view (maybe), but even a carbon MTB is strong and you should not have any issues on the trainer, just make sure you mount and secure it properly on the trainer.

Groete & Sterkte

Thank you Theo!  Makes perfectly sense!  I will chase down those century rides outside once again in the future when kiddos are a bit older.  For me personally, I equipped myself with the best bike I could afford, so will be riding it for a long while, that's why it should last me a long while too hahahahahaha.

Have a lekker long weekend 😉

Edited by Erika Potgieter

The only place I could imagine where that roadie cracked his frame on the trainer would have been where the frame fixed to the trainer and it wasn't fixed / fitted properly. Other than that I doubt that there's massive forces at play. I mean the only parts which are taking a beating on a trainer is: 

Drivetrain i.e. Chain, shifter (to a lesser extent), shifter cable, crank, BB, chain ring, cassette. And or the rear wheel if you have a wheel mount. 

I have been using my 26er on the trainer since 2013 and I get way more kays out of the stuff than outdoors

I’ve done about 10k Km on my trainer with a carbon framed (road) bike. Mostly threshold and above, so your (OP) MTB will be okay.

Hi Erika, the only strain on the bike on an IDT (IMO) is the BB and chain/cassette.

I have battled to get smooth gear changing on an Elite Direto. Sometimes I get caught out in the wrong gear at the beginning of a hill climb and changing up can be quite noisy (under strain - 11 speed)( maybe 12 speed is better under strain). I even changed from a used SRAM cassette to a new Shimano cassette but there was no change. Even my LBS couldn't help here.

I find riding hills much easier in real life but it feels a lot tougher on my IDT. It is correctly set up and properly calibrated (the separate crank power meter is pretty spot on with the trainers built in power meter). What I do feel takes the strain on the hills is the BB so if you're hill climbing a lot might need a bit of grease more regularly. 

Do check your rear QR is tight as a loose one could give you a squeak. 

Lastly...find the right software that you enjoy coz IDT'ing can get boring if you're not enthused to ride!

Agree IDT is extremely boring for me, I limit it as far as possible to winter days when it is very cold outside.  So much nicer to ride outside.

But if you have to juggle kids & life it sadly becomes the best option available ...

Hi Erika, Road Bikes are soft. Such concern is not for MTB, which are used to the real world, no long converations at the cradle of human kind, unececessary advice, and fighting over the bill at seattle coffee. 

The above comments after 'soft' in no way imply this is what road bikers do. 

Or do they? 

Either way, enjoy the wahoo!