Buying my first bike (fairly heavy guy)

Hans01

Hi all , I am looking to buy my first bike but need some guidance.  I used to do a bit kf weightlifting  but being outdoors is just more appealing as I get older. I.am 120kg 186cm and want a bike that will be good for trails and the odd 94.7. 

Please advise I am complete newbie.

Hannes Ludik.

Its so hard to suggest a particular bike.

Suggest a Large, aluminium or steel bike. Depending on the style of riding you want to do, a hardtail might suit you but a Full suspension is more comfortable & usually easier to ride over harder terrain (but a lot more expensive to purchase & maintain).

Most new riders start with a hardtail then upgrade or trade-in for a dual suss if they are hooked.

Prices are high and stock (new) is low at the moment. Suggest you shop around. Go into a couple of bike shops and learn something about what they have to offer you keeping in mind that they will prefer to sell you stock that they are holding. This might mean that are trying to sell you a bike that is not 100% for you, so be aware. Good luck...

8 hours ago, Hans01 said:

Hi all , I am looking to buy my first bike but need some guidance.  I used to do a bit kf weightlifting  but being outdoors is just more appealing as I get older. I.am 120kg 186cm and want a bike that will be good for trails and the odd 94.7. 

Please advise I am complete newbie.

Hannes Ludik.

Morning Hannes, 

Welcome to the Hub and I hope you'll stick around as this is a great sport and platform. Here's my opinion on your current situation: 

• At 1.86m (hopefully not 1.86cm as then we would have a problem :oops:). But anyhow, I would go for an XL frame and not a L. The reason for this: You're quite a big guy so a L frame will feel cramped and you won't feel very comfortable, especially if you're looking to do the odd 94.7. 
  • Depending on what you're looking to spend it will be quite difficult to get a high quality bike at an affordable price. Now before the pitch forks come out: Being 120kg means that most or almost all entry level wheels will have a weight limit and this will lead to a crap ton of maintenance issues. 
  • Yes, I agree that a dual sus will be ideal but also bear in mind that a dual will be more expensive. 
  • Based on the fact that you would like to do the odd 94.7 I would suggest a hard tail mountain bike which you can fit with slicks when the race rolls around. But then again, this is just my opinion, good luck.

7 hours ago, Hans01 said:

Thanks for the tips . I will most probably ask heaps of questions here.

Great platform 

You're welcome to and you're also welcome to send me a PM if you want to ask a whole lot more 👍

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Morning Hannes, 

Welcome to the Hub and I hope you'll stick around as this is a great sport and platform. Here's my opinion on your current situation: 

• At 1.86m (hopefully not 1.86cm as then we would have a problem :oops:). But anyhow, I would go for an XL frame and not a L. The reason for this: You're quite a big guy so a L frame will feel cramped and you won't feel very comfortable, especially if you're looking to do the odd 94.7. 
  • Depending on what you're looking to spend it will be quite difficult to get a high quality bike at an affordable price. Now before the pitch forks come out: Being 120kg means that most or almost all entry level wheels will have a weight limit and this will lead to a crap ton of maintenance issues. 
  • Yes, I agree that a dual sus will be ideal but also bear in mind that a dual will be more expensive. 
  • Based on the fact that you would like to do the odd 94.7 I would suggest a hard tail mountain bike which you can fit with slicks when the race rolls around. But then again, this is just my opinion, good luck.

I used to weigh 125kg (thankfully not any more) I've riden cheap XT, Kore, Novatec and at present Alex 25mm rims. I ride pretty hard and the odd .75m high jumps. I've snapped the odd spoke due to IMHO uneven tensions. (my hubs and spoked are 5 years old and 16000km) I've never had an issue with weight limits. If you can find a well priced carbon dual suspension buy it. If you want to trade up or increase the spec of your bike later as in better drive train, wheels or suspension it will be too expensive to make sense. Rather buy to your maximum now. If you don't like cycling at a later date, and buy smart, you will get your money back when you sell. Good luck.

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Morning Hannes, 

Sorry to disagree here, but I am 1.86 and nave been a large all my life. An XL (especially for a beginner) is going to make the reach way to far and place too much weight on the wrists. That however is just my opinion. I am currently also exactly 110kg as per my scale this morning. 

I would also recommend riser bars or a higher stem to lift the positing a bit initially. 
For the rest I agree.

Sure thing, I agree with you TDFN, you can easily ride a L, my statement was all about the approach (many ways to skin a cat and all that malarkey). I would rather go with an XL frame and put a riser bar and a shorter stem than go with a L frame and stay with a longer stem or the standard 80-90mm the bike comes out with. 

Based on the below you fall right on the limit and yes, I know this is just a guide 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-15YIUKTaG_M/U8p8Dps478I/AAAAAAAABO8/ALuweePTeC4/s1600/bike-sizes-adult.png

Just to add..  I'm 1.82 and ride a L. Could squeeze onto a M but prefer the additional scope offered by the L. XL would be too big and as a positive, L is more common and easier to find. Try to buy privately either here or Gumtree/Facebook but if the latter try to have a mate second guess. Avoid used bike dealers etc if you want to pay good market value. The oke selling his bike here when he traded up is generally not looking for a 30% + margin on top.

Edited by love2fly

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

Just to add..  I'm 1.82 and ride a L. Could squeeze onto a M but prefer the additional scope offered by the L. XL would be too big and as a positive, L is more common and easier to find. Try to buy privately either here or Gumtree/Facebook but if the latter try to have a mate second guess. Avoid used bike dealers etc if you want to pay good market value. The oke selling his bike here when he traded up is generally not looking for a 30% + margin on top.

Only problem is the ever increasing number of re-sellers on the Hub ....

Very difficult for a newby to know what is a deal and what is a rip off ...

EDIT ... Post questions when looking at secondhand bikes.  Some experienced members that will guide you through this maize

Edited by ChrisF

Check the seller's other ads. If he has 50 other ads = dealer. Having said that, I've met one or two " dealers" eking out a living from home with low overheads who buy smartly and offer good pricing. 

Thanks Guys I will go shopping and post a few options in here.

Great platform. 

I am 1.94 and 132kg, a good hardtail is a very good starter bike and is more than capable to handle everything you throw at it. If you are looking for a dual suspension I suggest getting one with a better rear shock as the entry level shocks cannot handle us heavy guys(my opinion). 

I weigh around 120kg most of the year at 1.87m. Currently ride a large Momsen STR (steel) with 120mm fork and wheels built by my lbs with my weight in mind. No failure despite some abuse over the last 2 years. Top top. Big rotors. Rims with eyelets,32h and double butted spokes. 

8 hours ago, V18 said:

I weigh around 120kg most of the year at 1.87m. Currently ride a large Momsen STR (steel) with 120mm fork and wheels built by my lbs with my weight in mind. No failure despite some abuse over the last 2 years. Top top. Big rotors. Rims with eyelets,32h and double butted spokes. 

*bubble butted* ...

So my experience buying a bike was a little different. Had no idea what I was getting myself into, and was buying a bike so I could ride with my kids. Decided to get a cheap dual sus, cross country bike which stood me in good stead for a year, while i learnt all the nuances of this sport, and what type of riding I preferred, and trust me, there's lots to learn. Then traded up for something that suited my riding style, and made sure it was the best I could afford. Couldn't be happier now, and can upgrade parts if the itch needs scratching.

But that year riding a bike opened my eyes to this amazing sport, and showed me that there are different tools for the job, and i'm grateful to have had that learning experience to find the bike I wanted. Size wise i'm 1.86 too, and riding an XL, which is absolutely perfect, and doesn't feel stretched at all