Shimano Alfine 11 Speed

peetwindhoek

8 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

https://road.cc/content/review/27971-shimano-alfine-11-hub-and-shifter

This looks like something I would want to put on my commuter when the current drivetrain is kaput. Other than the weight penalty, I cannot see the drawbacks of this compared to a cassette/derailleur setup. 

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Shimano's internal hub? 

Having used the 8 speed version and a Rohloff 14 speed, I can say the following;

For a bike that stays mostly on the ground, these are amazing. 

Tensioners suck, so buy a Rapide Ebb. 

The weight in the rear wheel feels weird when you jump or ride technical terrain. On a tourer/commuter I would say that an IGH is THE answer.

Make sure you get the initial gearing right. 

Lastly, enjoy!

On 4/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, peetwindhoek said:

https://road.cc/content/review/27971-shimano-alfine-11-hub-and-shifter

This looks like something I would want to put on my commuter when the current drivetrain is kaput. Other than the weight penalty, I cannot see the drawbacks of this compared to a cassette/derailleur setup. 

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Shimano's internal hub? 

Yes, I use to own a Cube bike with the Alfine hub. It also came with a carbon belt drive. Absolutely zero issues. Amazingly smooth and the belt drive was something made in heaven (coming from a normal chain).

I bought it in the Netherlands, sold it to a local mate here in W/Cape and sometimes sees it in Stellenbosch being use by its current owner. Its going on four years and the current owner confirmed my view above. 

I might also add the bike was fitted with Alfine disc brakes and levers - also excellent in use with zero issues. 

I will recommend 100%

Note: the maintenance (oil change) requirements are something to keep in mind. Easy and infrequent job, most difficult is getting hold of the required oil grade in SA.

• 1 year later...

As a lightweight crosscountry rider, I’m wondering why this has not been explored on a mountainbike. With a decent chainring ratio for the skinny riders with lower torque it would be great to see..even on a full suspension. Suspecting some frame restriction as it requires horiontal drop out…?