Bringing a Bike from UK

Da Vinci

Hi All…

I have the potential opportunity to get a bike from my SIL in the UK when she upgrades. At a “friends and family” discount plus being something I will struggle to get here it’s almost too good an opportunity to miss… 

What is going to make the most sense/ be the most cost effective way to get it into the country? I may be traveling to UK in July to spend time with them. But also need ideas Incase I’m not.

Also any advise in terms of warrantee etc. it is a “big name” brand with representation here but how well will do SA shops support overseas counterparts.

Appreciate the Hubvine Knowledge coming my way… 😊

I think you need to make quite a ‘fuss’ taking an old, Hypermarket special ‘out’ with you, in a travel box, as part of your travel allowance, OBVIOUSLY for riding in the glorious UK sunshine during your holiday there…

then you bring the ‘Hypermarket special’ BACK with you, in same bike box; but “golly gosh - I must have packed the wrong bike”, but Mum’s the word coming through customs…

I would never do this; but would LOVE you to try it!
cheers

chris

On 4/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, Zebra said:

then you bring the ‘Hypermarket special’ BACK with you, in same bike box; but “golly gosh 

New bike (same colour), duplicate its serial number onto Hyper bike. Could work?

just organise a second hand bike bag in the UK -put bike in it -contact your airline tell them you bringing bike as luggage to make sure they dont charge extra -arrive with bike get bags off turnstyle march thru green lane - its a used bike its yours -you dont have to take one out to bring one back nobody will give a sh#t seriously you guys need to travel more ..🙄

I left without a bike, also brought a bike back as part of checkin luggage from the UK in a bike bag, waltz straight through customs with nothing to declare. It was purchased new but when I returned back to SA, it was about 6 months old. I think I just got lucky that day, it was round about Cycle Tour time so seeing bike bags/boxes was pretty common with just about every incoming flight. 

Edited by milky4130

I brought a bike back from the UK about 3 years ago. Qatar Airlines allowed u to take sporting goods including a bicycle. I just got a box from a bike shop there, boxed it up and brought it back. I'm planning on doing the same in July again. It's quite simple.