GPS tracker tag for stolen bike

Stephan

are there screenshots and pics available, or is this another seesense mockup? - asking for myself - also have money with seesense waiting for a unit (the only product that seems to work is bikefinder....and theynow have a SA agency I see)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is your opinion on this choice of tech experts?

Recent Seesense update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seesense/seesense-air/posts/3807579

We trust this message finds you well. In our last update, we were very excited about the potential of a cellular solution being able to meet our needs. We were focused on working to enhance the final design to make it more discrete and difficult to remove.

Despite high hopes, our testing of this solution did not yield the performance we expected, particularly concerning standby time and the need for infrequent charging. With these factors in mind, we've made the tough decision to put this option aside. While this is a very disappointing end to this option, new technology options are now available.

As you may recall, our initial plans to utilise NB-IoT technology were put on hold when the anticipated network coverage from mobile operators failed to materialise. This impasse has been largely due to a chicken-and-egg scenario that has persisted across numerous countries over the past five years. Device manufacturers are seeking comprehensive network coverage to justify the use of such networks, while network providers require substantial orders to expand their networks.

This stalemate has stifled the growth and adoption of NB-IoT technology, limiting the options available for device manufacturers like us. As cyclists ourselves, we understand the importance of reliable network coverage for a bike tracker, and we have been keeping a close eye on any developments in this area. While the network providers have yet to step up, the integrated circuit manufacturers have.

Fortunately, these recent improvements in hardware solutions have paved the way for promising alternatives. These innovative technologies compensate for the lack of network coverage by allowing devices to connect to multiple networks seamlessly. This means that even if one network's coverage is insufficient, the device can switch to another network to maintain its transmitting capabilities.

Currently, our attention is directed towards two promising alternatives for the Knowhere bike tracker:

Option A - Dual SIM NB-IoT/LTE-M solution: This has proven effective in another sector and utilises a dual SIM approach, enhancing the technology used in our original implementation. While this option implies a higher cost on our end, it promises a superior solution for you. It's the most compact option and potentially the best; however, perfect coverage may still be elusive in some regions due to the reliance on telecom companies' network expansions as both NB-IoT and LTE-M are newer technologies. We have several devices undergoing field testing and we look forward to sharing results of this testing with you.

Option B - NB-IoT module with regular cellular fallback: This option offers a balanced blend of coverage and compactness, giving a reliable tracking experience. While it provides the broadest coverage today, we must consider that some developed countries are already phasing out or plan to terminate their older fallback networks by 2026, including Switzerland, Australia, and the United States, with others like the United Kingdom and Japan following suit. While we expect NB-IoT coverage to improve as older networks retire, this isn't guaranteed, hence our cautious approach.

In the face of changing technologies and unexpected challenges, we remain steadfast in our commitment to you, our valued backers. We are fully dedicated to exploring every option possible in order to provide you with  a discreet, efficient, and reliable bike tracker. As we proceed with the testing of Options A and B, we promise to keep you updated on our progress. Your patience and support have been invaluable to us, and we look forward to delivering a product that not only meets but exceeds your expectations.

Happy pedalling,

Team See.Sense

Edited by Blahblah
url added

Here is an screenshot of the interaction between myself and the tracking device earlier today.

image.png.f308039c2340528b25483d0658c1a60e.png

When I click on the link with the location tag it takes me to the location on my mobile device to show where the bicycle is located.

25 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

have you tried retrieving a bike for real?

Getting an electronic pin point is one part of the solution.

Was is Morne or Robert that traced his stolen bike via a private investigator .... police was not interested in going into the area to go and collect it ....

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Was is Morne or Robert that traced his stolen bike via a private investigator .... police was not interested in going into the area to go and collect it ....

This  !!! 

There was a local case of housebreaking a few days ago and the person could track their missing MacBook to a location in a local informal settlement, the local police station had no interest in going to fetch it !

12 hours ago, Blahblah said:

have you tried retrieving a bike for real?

Ammunition is expensive and lawyers are even more expensive. Make sure it is insured and claim...

On 5/15/2023 at 6:47 AM, 3bodotbike said:

The device weighs 77gram. Should not make a big difference to the bike weight.

I would take double the weight of the device for a bigger battery that gives a month long standby time.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, ChrisF said:

That was a deal between BMW's insurance and a tracker company.

Seemed good, until the fine print became clear ... and the units failed one after the other, not just mine, most riders in the club had the same issue.

I will have a CLOSE look at the fine print before ever taking a tracker as part of an inaurance deal.

1. This unit has a battery charge of 15 hours ...

2.  MOST thefts are from home.

3. Must you charge this battery DAILY ??

The concept of a tracker is good.  But dont sell me something that needs constant charging, AND that gathers data the insurer can use to repudiate a claim ....

when exactly was your BMW motorbike deal? GPS tracker concept is 20+ years old now, the technology has got a lot more robust and compact and RELIABLE (and should be oh so much cheaper if only built to scale)

49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I would take double the weight of the device for a bigger battery that gives a month long standby time.

curiosity begs: how would you go about getting your own back, would you go yrself, or send someone to reclaim bike? 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

when exactly was your BMW motorbike deal? GPS tracker concept is 20+ years old now, the technology has got a lot more robust and compact and RELIABLE (and should be oh so much cheaper if only built to scale)

My experience with these date about 10 to 15 years back.

YES, it really should be more robust and reliable now ... 

The lesson I learnt back then was to CHECK the fine print !!  Absolutely stay well clear of anything that ADDS additional responsibility to you as the insured party.

41 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

...............Absolutely stay well clear of anything that ADDS additional responsibility to you as the insured party.

Agreed 100%. 

At the rate they're stealing bikes in Skelmbosch, it seems like a good place to do testing. 

Keep us posted on progress.

9 hours ago, Meentb said:

https://snik.bike

followed these guys on insta for a while. Lots of r&d went into it. I remember it being quite pricey, but still worth a look. 

after a news24 article on them, we got as far as being added to their newsletter - they (still) have no product