GPS tracker tag for stolen bike

Stephan

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

tell you what. pop your apple air tag into a closed shipping container on the back of a truck and let me know how well you can track it.

why i have insurance.

if they want it they will take it. doesn't mean i want it back.

thought i would share.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

why i have insurance.

thought i would share.

Agreed... what are you going to do when the tracker shows your bike is in the middle of Alex or Khayalitsha? Go in and claim it back? Hmmm... I'd rather make the insurance claim.

1 hour ago, Spy007 said:

why i have insurance.

thought i would share.

This. 

Risk my life riding my bike already, definitely not going to risk it trying to claim back a stolen bike. The police also will not do **** about it even if you give them the location. Only solution is some private security firm that could go fetch it for you. But at what cost?

2 hours ago, Titleist said:

Exactly this. An airtag is only as good as the amount of iPhones in it's vicinity. Whoever wants to use it, go for it, but don't expect a foolproof solution. All you have to lose is a bike and an airtag.

i have 2 air tags one for wallet one for cell

okay for finding wallet etc. when you know its in house

but if i leave wallet in car it will tell me address where was last seen

but useless beyond 100 ms

model works in usa or uk where lots of iPhone lots of tags

not good is RSA

6 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

This. 

Risk my life riding my bike already, definitely not going to risk it trying to claim back a stolen bike. The police also will not do **** about it even if you give them the location. Only solution is some private security firm that could go fetch it for you. But at what cost?

the only reason I could think of for a tracking device is to get to the heart of the syndicates doing this. But we all know the chances of that happening are slim.

4 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

i have 2 air tags one for wallet one for cell

okay for finding wallet etc. when you know its in house

but if i leave wallet in car it will tell me address where was last seen

but useless beyond 100 ms

model works in usa or uk where lots of iPhone lots of tags

not good is RSA

Does yours ever randomly beep at you? Can't figure this one out. 

On 4/20/2022 at 4:37 AM, CraigN said:

Has anyone tried or looked into Apple AirTags? For R600 it might be worth a try. You can watch a few videos on YouTube it was designed to recover items like keys etc. but can be a decent solution for a bike. 

(only works for iPhone users)

I have one under the saddle on two of my bikes, also on my horse trailer, for this purpose. The biggest risk is the anti-stalking features which will alert someone who has been close to a tag for a while, but I'm hoping that, by the time this happens, I have a location to look in. 

I am also awaiting a couple of the See.Sense GPS units, which I bought through their kickstarter in 2019 for 2020 delivery. However, they seem to be having endless issues with getting the tech and the battery life right, so I'm not holding out much hope for them. 

21 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Does yours ever randomly beep at you? Can't figure this one out. 

Normally if it beeps at you, it is an anti-stalking thing. If the AirTag is registered to someone other than you, but is in your vicinity a lot, then it will warn you via notification and beeping to prevent being able to stick one into someone's bag or car etc to track them. This feature works on non apple phones as well as far as I understand 

49 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Normally if it beeps at you, it is an anti-stalking thing. If the AirTag is registered to someone other than you, but is in your vicinity a lot, then it will warn you via notification and beeping to prevent being able to stick one into someone's bag or car etc to track them. This feature works on non apple phones as well as far as I understand 

Makes sense why the dog was beeping at the pet sitters. 

12 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Makes sense why the dog was beeping at the pet sitters. 

😂 

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Howzit hubbers.

I want to weigh in on this topic...

We have developed an on-demand bicycle tracker that communicates with you via WhatsApp. We are in various talks with different strategic partners to offer value adds (insurance, asset recovery, etc). In short, what our product does is alert you when your bicycle moves. You then have to respond to the Whatsapp message if you are aware of the movement or not. If you respond no - the device kicks to on-demand tracking and you can request the location of the bicycle with very accurate coordinates. At present, the device offers 10 days of standby time (ie when your bike is standing at home and not moving) and up to 15 hours of life tracking time.

We are in the final user testing phase and hope to hit the market before the summer of 2023. Is anyone keen on joining the test pool? Ideally, you would be Stellenbosch based.

Edited by 3bodotbike