Spur MTB School Series

JJDT

What happened to these events? I saw recently that Cyclelab is hosting the schools MTB events and that there is a entry fee attached to these events now. It is not that I do have any interest in this event anymore but more of a curious question. I remember when my son did the schools series it was aimed at mass participation, where every rider earned a point for the school. I saw some bikes that were not actually suited for this type of events (Makro...Game bikes)and also some bikes that were at end of life but these kids wanted to ride and also enjoyed the day.

The Spur series also had some negative rules in the sense that Home School Riders could not participate, but I feel that the new series with entry fees are going to exclude many more kids who simply can not afford the entry fees.

Unfortunately Spur have stopped all their sponsorship. CycleLab has now taken up the opportunity to start the series again in Gauteng. Hopefully this can grow into something big again.

In regards to the entry fees it comes down to cost. Any cycling event has to comply to a minimum safety standard for example Safety officer/file, medics, commissaires etc. Then you need registration/timing team, medals, drinks etc. So all of this adds up. Cash sponsors is the only way to get cost down and they are very rare these days. 

Just some clarification in regards with home schoolers, School event is for schools not individual riders. At the end of the day a winning school is crowned. That being said home schoolers can join a school team if that school agrees to it and they contribute to those school's points. 

Just my 2 cents 

This whole thing is now very confusing because it seems as if there are duplicates now because there was one on the 27th of May at Hazeldean Valley Trails, so I am not sure how that one fits intothe cyclelab one.image.png.cc7492b6a56400fd1285777590b3c819.png

Hazeldean school series.JPG

46 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Unfortunately Spur have stopped all their sponsorship. CycleLab has now taken up the opportunity to start the series again in Gauteng. Hopefully this can grow into something big again.

In regards to the entry fees it comes down to cost. Any cycling event has to comply to a minimum safety standard for example Safety officer/file, medics, commissaires etc. Then you need registration/timing team, medals, drinks etc. So all of this adds up. Cash sponsors is the only way to get cost down and they are very rare these days. 

Just some clarification in regards with home schoolers, School event is for schools not individual riders. At the end of the day a winning school is crowned. That being said home schoolers can join a school team if that school agrees to it and they contribute to those school's points. 

Just my 2 cents 

Thanks for the clarification. Just on a side thought I know that timing, medics, safety officer etc. costs money. I presume that these costs were all part of the sponsorship of Spur or were these costs "donated" by the timing company/individuals?

Like I mentioned in my post I do have no interest in this event anymore but just comparing these events from face value.

4 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Thanks for the clarification. Just on a side thought I know that timing, medics, safety officer etc. costs money. I presume that these costs were all part of the sponsorship of Spur or were these costs "donated" by the timing company/individuals?

Like I mentioned in my post I do have no interest in this event anymore but just comparing these events from face value.

As I understand Spur could pay for most of the expenses. That is why entry fees were so low. They even paid for flights for schools to get to the final.  It would be great if a sponsor like that can come onboard again.

41 minutes ago, DanMan said:

I think https://schoolscyclingsa.co.za/ will be the best source to clarify this. 

Down in the Colony it is run by "School Cycling Western Cape", a division of CSA.

These are the SAME people that did the events when SPUR was the primary sponsor.  Let's not forget the contributions of ANATOMIC and other sponsors that assisted for many years.

YES, costs have gone up.  Our school affiliation fee, for a small school, trippled in price.  Entry costs are now R100 per rider ... not expensive, but more than double what it was.

1 hour ago, DanMan said:

I will never judge a longterm sponsor for choosing to step back from something they've supported. what they should do is try and facilitate some sort of handover - even if just from a saving face viewpoint. Now it appears they just left the kids without a series now but are still happy to host birthday parties for lekka RRRR.

there is a HUGE opportunity for someone to jump into this void properly. i heard through a birdy that there are plans in place, but wait and see.

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I will never judge a longterm sponsor for choosing to step back from something they've supported. what they should do is try and facilitate some sort of handover - even if just from a saving face viewpoint. Now it appears they just left the kids without a series now but are still happy to host birthday parties for lekka RRRR.

there is a HUGE opportunity for someone to jump into this void properly. i heard through a birdy that there are plans in place, but wait and see.

SPUR stepped back late in 2020 already.  With all the correct correspondence to the organisers, and distributed to the team managers.  SPUR certainly did all they reasonably could to get the message out.  RESPECT to them !!!

2021 the various schools cycling divisions of CSA in each area did their own thing.

It was tough seeing Annalize and her team arrange event after event to have it canceled 72 hours before the event by yet another covid wave ....

2022 has been kinder to the organisers, with yet another race held tomorrow (my WA is ticking over faster than a jackpot machine on payday with all the teams questions and answers)

As for the next main sponsor .... lots of rumours over the last 18 months .... holding thumbs

PS - I DO however have a naughty streak .... and often make a point of wearing my SPUR SCHOOLS CYCLING top when going to the SPUR.  And YES, I make a point of spending my money with those that supported our kids sports, and will continue to do so .... with any luck the economy turns and SPUR decides to come back ..... then again, financial news talks of the parent company unbundeling .... not sure what the future holds for them

Edited by ChrisF

On the subject of entry fees, the only fees that we as parents paid is when the school was in the top 10 and kids were then chosen to participate in the national finals. This was way back in 2016. A lot may have changed between then and now.

• 11 months later...

My daughters (7 and 11) did their first schools race in Southey Vines in Somerset West this past weekend. It was intimidating for them but they pushed through and both completed their races. 

Unfortunately, my 7yr old didn't enjoy the race as she was on a singlespeed so the climbs hurt her legs 😞 so we'll be moving her over to big sister's Titan 9r and get her sister a 26 or 29inch hardtail. 

To say I enjoyed the outing is an understatement 😄 

image.png.945b512cfd062e80c6bd7f3d565e4cae.png

Bit of exposure for the sponsors ....

SPUR officially withdrew mid 2020.  GOOD to see they are again associated with "Schools cycling Southern Cape".  Let's hope they make a comeback to the full series.

A new sponsor to the series is CYCLE LAB.  THANKS guys.  They are more involved up country, and they are also the sponsor for the national finals for the high schools.  In the Western Cape they assist with a workshop stand at the events.

Myriad Events .... uhm jaaaa .... Michelle did a MUCH better job of these events in 2018 and 2019.  For a paid events organiser Myriad Events needs to get their act together.

Edited by ChrisF

I'm guessing this is the place to find info on this in da Koloni

https://westerncapeschoolscycling.co.za/events/category/dicipline/mtb/

did the SA orienteering champs a few weeks back in Wellington, the deal was that i would take my son to mtb at rhebokskloof i the afternoon. rocked up there and there was a massive event on.  Seems like that is WP XCO, which caters down to nippers.

i guess you'd rather start with the schools one first?

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I'm guessing this is the place to find info on this in da Koloni

https://westerncapeschoolscycling.co.za/events/category/dicipline/mtb/

did the SA orienteering champs a few weeks back in Wellington, the deal was that i would take my son to mtb at rhebokskloof i the afternoon. rocked up there and there was a massive event on.  Seems like that is WP XCO, which caters down to nippers.

i guess you'd rather start with the schools one first?

Let's just say that one did not go down well on the WA group .....

The "actual series" is still the 4 events.  SEEMS (but certainly not clear) that only these 4 will add up to the annual points for each school ....

But they now piggy back onto various other events.  Some clearly advertised for high school kids, some open to both primary and high school kids.

The idea of more exposure and more events for kids is good .... the execution and communication (or lack thereof) results in LOTS of questions on the WA group.  

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Bit exposure for the sponsors ....

SPUR officially withdrew mid 2020.  GOOD to see they are again associated with "Schools cycling Southern Cape".  Let's hope they make a comeback to the full series.

A new sponsor to the series is CYCLE LAB.  THANKS guys. 

Thanks for pointing this out, we should probably rename this thread to just MTB Schools Series - but I don't own the post and wanted to keep it in the thread 🙂