Is this dangerous?

BrettS

Chances are the 2.4 is too wide for your frame. It may look long a good fit when the bike is standing, but the tyre moves and changes shape as you corner, hit bumps, etc. so the wear was happening not only in the mud, but also under normal riding.

The tyre will rub against the stay and wear it down, but it will reach a point where the wear in the frame is enough to not have any further (significant) wear and it should stabilise. Unless the tyre is significantly too big for the frame in which case the wear will happen until the stays integrity is compromised and it may fail

Same applies to carbon. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BrettS said:

Hey all, looking for some advice and/or to find out if this is common? 

I assume the damage was caused by mud and stones that were caked to my tyres. It was really bad at Buffels on Saturday. 

Removed my rear wheel today to give it a thorough clean and noticed the raw aluminum. 

Any idea what can be done? 

20220522_172152.jpg

20220522_172202.jpg

If the classifieds section is anything to go by, your bike still looks basically brand new.

1 hour ago, BrettS said:

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. 

Going to get a narrower rear tyre.
I have gloss black rustoleum at home so will give that a bash. Next will be nail polish.

Any idea what would have happened if it was carbon?

The carbon just wears through, will send a pic now 

1 hour ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Chances are the 2.4 is too wide for your frame. It may look long a good fit when the bike is standing, but the tyre moves and changes shape as you corner, hit bumps, etc. so the wear was happening not only in the mud, but also under normal riding.

The tyre will rub against the stay and wear it down, but it will reach a point where the wear in the frame is enough to not have any further (significant) wear and it should stabilise. Unless the tyre is significantly too big for the frame in which case the wear will happen until the stays integrity is compromised and it may fail

Same applies to carbon. 

The bike comes specked with 2.4 tyres from Scott, so I don't think that is the case.
I have done about 800km with the bike through mostly Northern farms mud with the 2 sets of 2.4 tyres (the original Schwalbe and new Maxxis) there has never been any wear on the chainstays.

The mud we rode through at Buffels was like clay (pictures below) my tyres looked exactly like the gents in the photo, sidewalls are caked in the mud, you can see in the other pic stones are picked up and stay within the mud and I think this was like sandpaper on the frame.

ca97bdbb-54a1-4117-b870-3231d8122a08.jpg

e27c36c4-4106-4de5-bb23-7a51b4202d76.jpg

1 hour ago, mikkelz said:

If the classifieds section is anything to go by, your bike still looks basically brand new.

Thanks for the lols! Listing it as 'brand new' right now!

47 minutes ago, AkwA said:

The carbon just wears through, will send a pic now 

That was caused by tyre rub? 
You just have to keep tabs on it to make sure it doesn't crack or get progressively worse? 

Yea, tyre rub, hasn’t really gotten worse in the last 300-400km and it almost got to that point in 2 rides, so should be as bad as it will get

2 hours ago, BrettS said:

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. 

Going to get a narrower rear tyre.
I have gloss black rustoleum at home so will give that a bash. Next will be nail polish.

Any idea what would have happened if it was carbon?

I wouldn't get narrower tyres, that only happened because of that clay mud packing up on your tyres, you could have had skinny gravel tyres on and the same would have happened

13 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I wouldn't get narrower tyres, that only happened because of that clay mud packing up on your tyres, you could have had skinny gravel tyres on and the same would have happened

Without having ridden the trails before how would you know what to expect or how to plan the ride?
For instance, the next one is Legends MX, I have never ridden there, (1st prize would obviously be to go and ride it) but it's difficult to be prepared for ever changing conditions? 
Does one just go into it with whatever setup you have and whatever happens, happens? 

Side note: I'm a serious race noob, this was only my 2nd race. I always try and push myself but this race seriously deflated me. 

7 minutes ago, BrettS said:

Without having ridden the trails before how would you know what to expect or how to plan the ride?
For instance, the next one is Legends MX, I have never ridden there, (1st prize would obviously be to go and ride it) but it's difficult to be prepared for ever changing conditions? 
Does one just go into it with whatever setup you have and whatever happens, happens? 

Side note: I'm a serious race noob, this was only my 2nd race. I always try and push myself but this race seriously deflated me. 

As you say, conditions are always changing, Buffels is just extremely muddy after rain, and it is that thick clay mud, which is why I haven't ridden there in ages.

But best you can do is just try do some "research" on the events before hand, I have never ridden a bicycle around the area of Legends, but as far as I recall from dirt biking days, it is not really muddy in that area, more sandy type dirt, maybe start a thread (look for a thread) a week or 2 before the event and ask questions to people who have done the event before, or ridden the terrain to find out what can be expected...

Riding in mud is about the worst thing you can do for a bike. As you said, it acts like sandpaper/grinding paste.

I did an 18h event around 2001/2 in Hillcrest and it rained almost constantly for 18 hours.

I won my category but had to use my R500 prize money to replace a rim that had worn through.

This is one reason doing events is silly..... You pay, the weather is rubbish, you feel obligated to go and then you wreck stuff and pay thousands of ZAR on new bearings and and and

If you don't enter events, you just don't ride in gunk and your stuff lasts forever. 

Events.... pffft.

They just cost money in so many ways.

21 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

As you say, conditions are always changing, Buffels is just extremely muddy after rain, and it is that thick clay mud, which is why I haven't ridden there in ages.

But best you can do is just try do some "research" on the events before hand, I have never ridden a bicycle around the area of Legends, but as far as I recall from dirt biking days, it is not really muddy in that area, more sandy type dirt, maybe start a thread (look for a thread) a week or 2 before the event and ask questions to people who have done the event before, or ridden the terrain to find out what can be expected...

Thanks for that Chad, I had tried to revitalise a thread from last year - 

Nobody seemed to bite :lol: - I watched some videos on YT but they were all completed in the damn sunshine!  

2 minutes ago, BrettS said:

Thanks for that Chad, I had tried to revitalise a thread from last year - 

Nobody seemed to bite :lol: - I watched some videos on YT but they were all completed in the damn sunshine!  

Ah, ya, sometimes that happens 🤣

14 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Riding in mud is about the worst thing you can do for a bike. As you said, it acts like sandpaper/grinding paste.

I did an 18h event around 2001/2 in Hillcrest and it rained almost constantly for 18 hours.

I won my category but had to use my R500 prize money to replace a rim that had worn through.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

This is one reason doing events is silly..... You pay, the weather is rubbish, you feel obligated to go and then you wreck stuff and pay thousands of ZAR on new bearings and and and

If you don't enter events, you just don't ride in gunk and your stuff lasts forever. 

Events.... pffft.

They just cost money in so many ways.

Starting to really get your point of views.
Definitely feel obligated to go.
Suck it up and get the medal but end up paying in the long run. 

The only good thing I could take away from doing events and having to go - you get to ride places you ordinarily wouldn't.