Darryl Pentz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The K&K people aspire to because .....N1NO....the mind boggles

He does garner the same type of support base as Lewis Hamilton. But before him it was Christoph Sauser, with every yuppie buying an Epic to look like Susi. 

16 hours ago, Darryl Pentz said:

You guys didn't help giving all the L frame RS Team bikes to the racing team! 😠 Just saying. 😬

Oh for the love of all things dirty and fun, please don't buy the wrong size bike. Even if the shop says they "can make it work." 

It's like falling in love with a girl that isn't single, and then marrying her ugly and obnoxious sister because the trust fund is strong. 

Does the Hanger still give you a bike fitting by Spook Groenewald if you buy from them? Actually, even if they don't, it's a good idea to go to someone like him to get your bike fit done wgen buying a new bike that is so much different to your current bike. 

Edited by PhilipV

18 hours ago, Darryl Pentz said:

You guys didn't help giving all the L frame RS Team bikes to the racing team! 😠 Just saying. 😬

It's tough to be popular! 

Seriously though, apart from the team bikes (which half of the team had to wait for a second shipment!), bikes were all pre-sold before they reached SA soil. That's because, well, they are great bikes 😎, and, like everyone else we're still battling supply issues. At least China is slowly opening up again.

More great things to come. 👊

On 5/31/2022 at 11:48 AM, dave303e said:

As with anything, each has individual needs and wants.

For me 2 bottles is literally the reason I sold my previous Scott for a Titan Cypher Carbon Pro. We adventure race so if you have a 200km bike leg where you are not sure there will be any safe water to drink along the way and your pack already weighs 10kg. You need those 2 bottles or you going to be an extra 3-5kg on your back.

Regarding the Titan. I can say it is as well finished as the Scott. I did a 20km loop when I got the bike on Wed last week just to check my initial setup. Then I raced Amohela on the weekend, my only things to change on the bike, are tyre pressure and shock pressure, maybe esi grips. So really I am super happy. Going to carbon rims is something you can feel, there is a certain stiffness there that translates well. Day 1 was really quite tech and I was super happy with the geometry and even on the 100mm version I didn't need any more travel. Living in GP there really is no need for more than 100mm up front for my usage. Again personal usage.

My advise as well is to do the rather effing boring excel spreadsheet comparison. List all parts on the bike- fork, shock, drivetrain, wheels etc. Find replacement costs and put them there for comparison of value. Then list pro and con for each- is it the right component for you, is it the right level of performance etc etc. Once you have done that it will be an easy decision to add up. You will also find it is hard to beat the Titan when you look at it this way. Then again I am far to logical for the average person. If you want an excel template pm me.

How does one less bottle on the bike that weighs less than 1kg for cage, bottle and contents translate into 3-5 kg on your back? 

3 minutes ago, Oodles said:

How does one less bottle on the bike that weighs less than 1kg for cage, bottle and contents translate into 3-5 kg on your back? 

When it comes to riding the camelbak effect is a real thing. If you have 2 bottles on the bike and a handful of tools/bars in your pocket you pack carefully due to space limitations. As soon as you have a camelbak with lots of space you will guaranteed pack things you would not have carried if you only had pockets. Like a car boot on a holiday- 10 people on holiday in a Corsa and the boot will be full. 2 people in a minivan and you will no doubt take a whole bunch of extra unnecessary stuff for just in case and have a full boot.

I challenge most that ride with a camelbak, take every single thing out of it and tell me how many extra's you don't really need. Apart from filling a 3l bladder when you only need 2 x 750ml bottles. And most with a camelbak of sorts will also have a bottle anyway.

7 minutes ago, dave303e said:

When it comes to riding the camelbak effect is a real thing. If you have 2 bottles on the bike and a handful of tools/bars in your pocket you pack carefully due to space limitations. As soon as you have a camelbak with lots of space you will guaranteed pack things you would not have carried if you only had pockets. Like a car boot on a holiday- 10 people on holiday in a Corsa and the boot will be full. 2 people in a minivan and you will no doubt take a whole bunch of extra unnecessary stuff for just in case and have a full boot.

I challenge most that ride with a camelbak, take every single thing out of it and tell me how many extra's you don't really need. Apart from filling a 3l bladder when you only need 2 x 750ml bottles. And most with a camelbak of sorts will also have a bottle anyway.

Choose your camelbak wisely. Mine can only hold the 1.5 l bladder and contents. 

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Does the Hanger still give you a bike fitting by Spook Groenewald if you buy from them? Actually, even if they don't, it's a good idea to go to someone like him to get your bike fit done wgen buying a new bike that is so much different to your current bike. 

Just to be clear, since some of the comments suggest people think I've gone for the Scott - I've actually opted for the Cypher RS Team, but nobody seems to have L frames, so I'm going to try out an XL (the M seemed very small for me) and if it's too big, Bike Addict will build up a bike using a Cypher Pro frame. Unless @Titan Racing Bikes has news of more L frames arriving anytime soon. I'm not in a massive hurry, I can wait.

In answer to @PhilipV's question, the Hanger Bike Co. guys do still give that bike fitting for free, and I can't speak more highly of them, the professionalism etc when I went there. I've just been cautioned by enough people now about the integrated shock and stem cabling of the new Spark to wait and see how that pans out.

Edited by Darryl Pentz

39 minutes ago, Oodles said:

One point that was made to me that I hadn't thought of is that having 2 bottle cages on the bike allows you to ride without a pack when doing local long training rides. For a 2-4hr local training ride, 2 bottles means you don't need to wear a pack to still have sufficient nutrition on board.

13 minutes ago, Darryl Pentz said:

Just to be clear, since some of the comments suggest people think I've gone for the Scott - I've actually opted for the Cypher RS Team, but nobody seems to have L frames, so I'm going to try out an XL (the M seemed very small for me) and if it's too big, Bike Addict will build up a bike using a Cypher Pro frame. Unless @Titan Racing Bikes has news of more L frames arriving anytime soon. I'm not in a massive hurry, I can wait.

In answer to @PhilipV's question, the Hanger Bike Co. guys do still give that bike fitting for free, and I can't speak more highly of them, the professionalism etc when I went there. I've just been cautioned by enough people now about the integrated shock and stem cabling of the new Spark to wait and see how that pans out.

How tall are you ? I urge you not to buy a XL if large is what you need

Just now, BaGearA said:

How tall are you ? I urge you not to buy a XL if large is what you need

Ja thanks @BaGearA I hear you. I'm a weird build. I'm 179cm, but I've got short legs and a long body. The M felt very crammed on the Cypher RS Team. I absolutely won't buy an XL if it's not right for me though.

Just now, Darryl Pentz said:

Ja thanks @BaGearA I hear you. I'm a weird build. I'm 179cm, but I've got short legs and a long body. The M felt very crammed on the Cypher RS Team. I absolutely won't buy an XL if it's not right for me though.

then test ride the XL it might be perfect.

I'm also 179 but very long arms and some XL bikes feel perfect while some larges feel perfect.

like perfectly borderline 

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

then test ride the XL it might be perfect.

I'm also 179 but very long arms and some XL bikes feel perfect while some larges feel perfect.

like perfectly borderline 

That's good information to know, thanks!

24 minutes ago, Darryl Pentz said:

Let us know if we can help. I'm sure your LBS will have, or is speaking to our rep (Evert), but if it comes down to it let us know via DM and we'll see what we can do. 

(I have asked the team for an update on the next batch arriving and will update here as well as in our Stock Updates Thread.)

Darryl at 176cm I am between M and L on the different brands of bikes.

Reach wise the L certainly fits me way better !!  I also get that cramped feel on many of the M frames.

BUT ... often the dropper post at its lowest setting, on a L frame, is still 10mm too tall for my legs .....  HOWEVER, it is possible to get the shop to swop out the dropper for a shorter dropper.

Having paid the school fees of buying a bike that was too small for me, I add my vote to the various posts to take your time and to get the correct size bike.

For some reason I thought the Titan Cypher RS Team has 100mm forks. My Bergamont has 140mm! I know it's the difference between XC and Trail but what are the thoughts on 100mm vs at least 110mm?

CYpher RS Team is specced with a 100mm fork. DO you mean you thought it has a 120mm fork?

The Cypher Range comes with 120mm set up front and rear.

Cypher RS= Race Series =100mm travel

Cypher = 120mm

The 100mm SID Ultimate SL can't be stepped up to 120mm. For longer travel you will need the RS SID Ultimate (35mm stanchions) . It is available with 120/110/100mm airspring options.

Or you would need to consider a Fox 34. step Cast or Fox 32 Step cast but I would not uprgade to another 32mm stanchion fork, I'd go for 34/35mm stanchion unit.

Sorry forgot to add this bit: 100mm vs 110/120mm

A longer fork is an easy way to shorten the reach of the bike but it won't do anything for effective top tune length which is one of your main bike sizing metrics. Reach does not acccount for saddle position which is ultimately what your personal effective reach will be not the frames.

In terms of comfort the longer fork will give you more comfort on small bump if set up more active and gives your more travel to take the bigger hits obviously. It will also raise the stack height of the bars and his moves your centre of gravity back so you typically move the saddle forward about 10mm to compensate. this could mean a longer stem. I don't know for sure since I won't be doing your bike fitting but that is a likely outcome.

IMO performance wise and the typ of trail we enjoy in the WC, a 120mm fork is the way forward unless you are a hardeman XCO racer sniffing the podium

Edited by DieselnDust