Saddle for post prostatectomy riding

mikethebike234

So here I am on the other side of a robotic radical prostatectomy. This particular nightmare started last year when I was diagnosed with Gleason 7 prostate cancer. The op seems to have fixed the cancer issue for which I am eternally grateful. My prayers go out to those who are not so lucky.  First test was clear. Hopefully it stays that way. Unfortunately the op has left my body somewhat different everyone who has this op has a different experience. My post op experience wasn't great and it is only now after 3 and a half months that I am starting to feel like a human being again. The pain in my bits was absolutely horrible never mind the incontinence and I was wondering if things would ever come right. It's been quite a rough ride so to speak. I still have extremely severe ED as well and hope that comes right soon, unfortunately I had a bad reaction to the meds for the ED so I am still trying to figure that one out. Every week or so I try sit on my bike and see if things are ready and if the pain in the perineum is gone to an extent that I can ride my bike again which I am desparate to do although pre op I hadn't been riding much it's when you lose the ability to do something that it really hits you. This morning I actually got as far as riding a few metres so I am almost there ..thing is I think things have changed and I need a new saddle that supports me better in places that won't cause pain and leakage. My questions is : is there any way I can find out what will work for me, are there any people on this forum who have been through this op etc and how did they remedy the problem. Who is a good person to get advice from about this ....all bearing in mind that financially I am trashed from the combination of covid which totally did me over and going through this cancer crap. 

Edited by mikethebike234

I looked at the triathlon saddles but actually ended up tilting my saddle angle pointing down ..its a cut out saddle so now my rear but bones rest on the saddle ...it takes a little getting used to but I've now ridden like that for over 4 years so feels normal to me .all the best  .H

Also have a look at the SQLab saddles. GPM Sports brings them in locally. They are an awesome bunch to deal with

2 hours ago, HowardSteele said:

I looked at the triathlon saddles but actually ended up tilting my saddle angle pointing down ..its a cut out saddle so now my rear but bones rest on the saddle ...it takes a little getting used to but I've now ridden like that for over 4 years so feels normal to me .all the best  .H

I'm assuming you had the op as well. I actually did that this morning ...it looks hilarious but it definitely seems to help. I do think I will need to get a new saddle though ..mine is ancient and I don't think it has ever been quite right for me, it just never bothered me to the extent it does now ....

Edited by mikethebike234

Would a Sella Italia saddle possibly help ?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi557j1kIz4AhVS4ncKHZuOAPUYABAKGgJlZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJeRoSyHVdBZ44wRIGec6LDKQUbI-8bO2suI08UX5raBqkzSDxSs&sig=AOD64_3GVK-f-kedTT23ctN31Zl2vrjmqQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwizqLD1kIz4AhXeQ0EAHUm9ATwQwg8oAHoECAEQCw&adurl=

Got mine at Marks Workshop 👍

Use a hardcover A4 book to get a consistent measure, then measure the saddle angle.  Couple of phone apps available, such as "Spirit Level".  Really makes it easy to track your settings.

2 hours ago, thebob said:

Also have a look at the SQLab saddles. GPM Sports brings them in locally. They are an awesome bunch to deal with

Thank you for mentioning us 
The SQ Lab concept allows to reduce the pressure in the perineal area up to 70% (depending on model and sitting position) 

Can’t advise as I’m not familiar with post op challenges. I’d suggest approaching the sports science institute in Newlands Cape Town for medical guidances on your bike fit options. All you’ll get on an Internet forum is personal preferences and these are unlikely to work for your unique needs

Good that you have a positive prognosis and outlook , keep that up 🤙

A few years ago ,  a bike shop sold me a saddle for my wife , where there was a cutout for the soft tissue , and the wieght was on predomanantely on the sit bones with a correctly sized saddle.

Is this not the same area you would want to protect ?

Speacilized do a good saddle fit and some good options , some shops evern have test saddles.

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/stories/power-saddle-mimic