Shimano 105 goes 12-speed with Di2 electronic shifting

News bot

We can’t keep bashing the bike industry, they are doing their jobs - research and development.

You can buy VW polo today for more than an Audi A3 10/15 years ago. Would you rather have the polo or the audi? The polo has grown in size, has more features, more, more economical, etc but remains a VW. The A3 with the old tech remains ‘German luxury’.

Tiagra will always be the ‘group set under 105’, but that does not make it poor quality , slow shifting, heavy, etc

As much as products evolve, so should we. Accept the fact that the current and future Tiagras will be really good

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been happily training and racing with mechanical groupsets for 30 years using Shimano 105, 600, Ultegra and Dura Ace downtube and SIS. The milliseconds of power transfer loss vs the sound and feel of the very reliable and cost effective cable shift, is, for this relic, a no brainer. I'm sorry, I'm out, I won't be investing.

1 hour ago, sirmoun10goat said:

We can’t keep bashing the bike industry, they are doing their jobs - research and development.

You can buy VW polo today for more than an Audi A3 10/15 years ago. Would you rather have the polo or the audi? The polo has grown in size, has more features, more, more economical, etc but remains a VW. The A3 with the old tech remains ‘German luxury’.

Tiagra will always be the ‘group set under 105’, but that does not make it poor quality , slow shifting, heavy, etc

As much as products evolve, so should we. Accept the fact that the current and future Tiagras will be really good

except at 3kg for the groupset, it won't be going on anyones Sub 3 Argust target machine....

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

except at 3kg for the groupset, it won't be going on anyones Sub 3 Argust target machine....

3.067kg smooth precise shifting on Suikerbossie   ;)

Edited by Mongoose!

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

True. But for me the shift quality on my ten speed hydraulic Tiagra shifters is indistinguishable from my 5 year old Dura Ace. 

Fun facts 😎

105 is the reverse of 501, which came from Levi's Jeans, popular in the late 80s in Japan and matching the "workhorse reliable" nature of the 105.

105 reads as "SOI" or "501" when rotated 180 degrees. But SOI is not a Japanese nor English word, like Dura-Ace

( ***Duralumin alloy + Ace 'best')

or

Ultegra = ( ultimate" + Integrity)

***duralumin, strong, hard, lightweight alloy of aluminum, widely used in aircraft construction, discovered in 1906 and patented in 1909 by Alfred Wilm, a German metallurgist; it was originally made only at the company Dürener Metallwerke at Düren, Germany. (The name is a contraction of Dürener and aluminum.) 

Edited by Mongoose!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, ChrisF said:

Disc brakes .... mountain passes .... MTB e-BIKE .... it gets "interesting" !!!

Franschhoek pass is "okay".  The first U-bend at the top you have not picked up a lot of speed, breaks work perfect.  For the rest you hardly touch the breaks, if traffic allows, until you get to the second U-bend.  Full taps until you get into the dorp .... nice fresh breaks to slow you down past the museum.

Coming down from Table mountain cable car .... completely different experience !!  Couple of short sharp down sections, followed by sharp turns .... now those disc brakes WORK .....  could feel the break fade towards the last turn and "nipping" on the approach to the traffic circle.

Swartberg pass .... thanks to the blind turns and terrain I dont go full speed here, and the breaks hold up better.  Even so I prefer a short stop shortly after "Droe Waterval", to rest the breaks before getting to the faster section at the bottom.

Gifberg pass ..... OUCH !!!  Started with a standard saddle, ended with a Power Saddle ....  Two very steep sections have been tarred .... so very easy to misjudge and pick up too much speed .....  Approaching this bend, with a shear cliff drop to the side the brakes had enough !!  Three finger grab on both levers barely slowed down the bike. :eek:  Yes, this was after a good long down section, and the breaks had worked hard by now.

Gifberg-26.jpg.12fffa1dc4517291c86aabae3e276332.jpg

A 100kg person on a racing bike pushing the limits down some Alpine slope with hairpin after hairpin ..... have to wonder how much the disc breaks will take before fading ....

Breaks

"a pause in work or during an activity or event.
"I need a break from mental activity""

#EkSeMaarNet 😛

28 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Breaks

#EkSeMaarNet 😛

En ek het nogal reg begin .... 🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Breaks

#EkSeMaarNet 😛

He took a break from his spell checker LOL

or did he put the brakes on the spell checker

Edited by DieselnDust