Travelling overseas with a bicycle

DavidE373

22 minutes ago, Robrider said:

I'm also in this boat. 

Looking at going to Toronto with 2 bikes in the next few months. I'd also like to either take it with or send it at the same time. So please keep updating on your progress...

I haven't done any research just yet. I think for the flights I saw, it was 2x23kg and options for excess luggage. 23kg should cover both bikes. Would 2 bike boxes count as one checked in luggage?

Is there any way to send them separately (like courier) at a similar price to excess luggage?

You can forget about getting two bikes in under 23kg. My trail bike with sealant in the tires and pedals fitted is 13.4 kg. By the time I have boxed it, with helmet and toolbag also in the box, the whole lot normally comes to about 18kg. The airline will also count each bike box as a single piece of luggage regardless of cost, so you would need to book at least one extra bag in order to take two bikes and luggage.

Are you going for holiday or moving there? If holiday, forget about the courrier option. The bikes must travel with you. If you Courier them, they will be treated as an import and you will be charged duties. If you are emigrating you might be able to look at the courrier option, but speak to your visa consultant about that, as your duty free allowance differs from country to country, and dependent on what visa you have.

32 minutes ago, dave303e said:

No way you will get 2 bikes boxed for under 23kg in my honest opinion and from my experience...

The locally made and really solid travel bikebox is 5kg. Cardboard ones are like 3 ish from my guess. Then you add in a bit of bubble wrap, some extra protection, a rag here and there, a pool noodle and then a helmet and a pair of cleats and it all adds up fast.

Fair enough. I was planning to take most of the other stuff separately. Maybe there is possible to get a higher allocation like the 32kg mentioned previously

Edited by Robrider

4 minutes ago, Robrider said:

Fair enough. I was planning to take most of the other stuff separately. Maybe there is possible to get a higher allocation like the 32kg mentioned previously

Etihad offers 40kg total weight with no restriction on number of items. So consider that, but except a really long travel time to get to Toronto via the middle east. 

26 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

You can forget about getting two bikes in under 23kg. My trail bike with sealant in the tires and pedals fitted is 13.4 kg. By the time I have boxed it, with helmet and toolbag also in the box, the whole lot normally comes to about 18kg. The airline will also count each bike box as a single piece of luggage regardless of cost, so you would need to book at least one extra bag in order to take two bikes and luggage.

Are you going for holiday or moving there? If holiday, forget about the courrier option. The bikes must travel with you. If you Courier them, they will be treated as an import and you will be charged duties. If you are emigrating you might be able to look at the courrier option, but speak to your visa consultant about that, as your duty free allowance differs from country to country, and dependent on what visa you have.

Yeah, ok. I have weight weenie bikes, but the point is noted. 

Its for immigration. I will look at duties and so on. I know we have to get everything evaluated for that purpose. 

Anyone that's couriered?

6 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Etihad offers 40kg total weight with no restriction on number of items. So consider that, but except a really long travel time to get to Toronto via the middle east. 

Thanks will look in to it. Quite stressful balancing everything, also have young kids, so shortest travel time is also important.

Edited by Robrider

I am assuming it is road and mtb as the 2 bikes? I would honestly just load up the mtb and send the road bike with the household contents.

Going to arrive in time for Toronto winter anyway so road biking in snow and possibly ice could be a rude awakening. You can get away with using the mtb on road for a few months and then once your other bike arrives you good to go, it will jut be a few months with more limited riding.

Really sorry to be loosing so many young families to SA, but sincerely wishing you guys the best for the venture you are embarking on and fully support the decision to move if you have the opportunity. 
I used to fly emirates around three times a month from OR thambo on Sunday Nights and it was sad seeing so many young families on one way trips.
Hope you guys put your heads down and make the best of the transition. The first few months will not be easy, especially if you are leaving your family here for a few months. Good Luck.

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:15 AM, Robrider said:

I'm also in this boat. 

Looking at going to Toronto with 2 bikes in the next few months. I'd also like to either take it with or send it at the same time. So please keep updating on your progress...

I haven't done any research just yet. I think for the flights I saw, it was 2x23kg and options for excess luggage. 23kg should cover both bikes. Would 2 bike boxes count as one checked in luggage?

Is there any way to send them separately (like courier) at a similar price to excess luggage?

So, I thought I'd update this thread with my experience for anyone who searches in future:

I flew with Swiss Air and got 2x 23kg bags per person. We took 2 extra bags and 2 bike boxes, and no container (didn't want to take furniture and appliances don't work over here because of the voltage, so we made the call to sell almost everything and replace on this side)

Bikes should have cost us about R1500 per bike extra as sporting goods, according to the website, but they just checked it is a free sporting goods. On the flip side, we got screwed on the extra bags which should have cost R2k a bag and ended up costing R4.5k a bag, because we didn't pay for it online before hand. So in the end I paid what I expected, but I was still pretty annoyed because we phoned before hand and they told us to do it at the airport.

Travelling to and from the airport was a bit stressful with so much luggage, but it's a once in a lifetime journey (hopefully!!). We paid for a porter and 2 taxis on this side and that took the stress off.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, DavidE373 said:

Thank you, this is useful. From what I can see, I'll simply have to pay for the additional weight (as I'll be over my allocated 20kg) and check the bike in as luggage, as you said.

Unsure what airline you are flying, but Qatar Air presently has 23kg + 23kg as STANDARD Domestic luggage, a very innovative program…

Chris