Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Phase 1 of giving Eskom the middle finger completed. Harnessing the power of the sun.

Phase 2, gas installation for stove and geysers early next week.

Solar.jpg

Welcome to the light side

Edited by Frosty

On 4/2/2023 at 1:16 PM, Roadie_ said:

If anyone can please help... if my 8 batteries are used to say 50%, how long would it take to charge them back to 100% based on a charge of say 30 or 50v (or is that watts)?

50% depth of charge sounds too much. Google "lead acid life vs depth of discharge". Most sites show 500 to 1000 cycles at 50%. With today's loadshedding that is less than a year.

I have a 3kVA invertor with 4x100AH lead acid batteries. I try not use more than 15% depth of charge.

The recharge time for lead acid depends on what the batteries will take rather than what the inverter can deliver. I posted the following last month.

35 minutes ago, i24 said:

50% depth of charge sounds too much. Google "lead acid life vs depth of discharge". Most sites show 500 to 1000 cycles at 50%. With today's loadshedding that is less than a year.

I have a 3kVA invertor with 4x100AH lead acid batteries. I try not use more than 15% depth of charge.

The recharge time for lead acid depends on what the batteries will take rather than what the inverter can deliver. I posted the following last month.

Thanks for reply i24. However, thanks to Hairy & Frosty (and a mate of mine) I've been convinced Lithium-ion LiPO4 is the way to go. I'm waiting on stock, but am opting for the Lux SNA5k hybrid inverter and a 5KW 1C battery - either the Shoto or the new Hina Hi-5 (which is new tech sodium-ion, which is apparently better and safer than Lithium?). I'll decide when stock options arrive. I'll add panels later, possibly, but should be able to manage since I've got a solar geyser. 

1 hour ago, Roadie_ said:

thanks to Hairy & Frosty (and a mate of mine) I've been convinced Lithium-ion LiPO4 is the way to g

:clap:

On 4/18/2023 at 2:25 PM, FondTF2 said:

Phase 1 of giving Eskom the middle finger completed. Harnessing the power of the sun.

Phase 2, gas installation for stove and geysers early next week.

Solar.jpg

Edited by Roadie_

On 4/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, Gr3mlin131 said:

Got panels last week and with a short google and a few settings even the geyser is being supplied when I have enough battery and solar going. Next step is more bettery to maximise the panels I have, potentially more panel if I need after that. Currently already fully charged and running only on solar by lunch time.

Geyser.jpg

Hi Gr3mlin131. What brand and model inverter is this? Screen display is quite informative - many other inverters require the app to see this info?

27 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

Hi Gr3mlin131. What brand and model inverter is this? Screen display is quite informative - many other inverters require the app to see this info?

This is the Sunsynk 5,5kw. This specific view is only available if you have the CT clamp in the right position, before the main switch. So it monitors what is used before the inverter, and sends power back to power it if there is excess. The main reason I went for this inverter instead of the LuxPower/Growatt some others I know have. 

1 minute ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

This is the Sunsynk 5,5kw. This specific view is only available if you have the CT clamp in the right position, before the main switch. So it monitors what is used before the inverter, and sends power back to power it if there is excess. The main reason I went for this inverter instead of the LuxPower/Growatt some others I know have. 

Thanks for reply. Sunsynk, pity... it's R10k more than the others I was looking at.

11 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

Thanks for reply. Sunsynk, pity... it's R10k more than the others I was looking at.

Yeah, if you are not using the extra features of the SunSynk it is a waste to pay more for it. I am a bit of a tinkerer, so will be using this with smart geyser switch to use excess solar to power my geyser (and oven sometimes). The extra the inverter cost is still less than a geyser retrofit. And I get more toys to play with. 

27 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

What have you, or will you, end up with (inverter)?

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What have you, or will you, end up with (inverter)?

Hi Frosty. Lux sna5000 is on the shopping list.

Getting all the bits and pieces together for the install at my place, Sunsynk 5kw inverter, Sunsynk 10kwh battery, and 6 x 550w solar panels, looking forward to getting it installed and running.

Does anyone have a contact for a good, reliable installer in JHB East Rand?

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Getting all the bits and pieces together for the install at my place, Sunsynk 5kw inverter, Sunsynk 10kwh battery, and 6 x 550w solar panels, looking forward to getting it installed and running.

Does anyone have a contact for a good, reliable installer in JHB East Rand?

Harold Zero 79 5 zero 9 3059

Kempton Park based, very busy but a good job is done.

Load shedding has totally stuffed the 2 batteries in my one garage door motor. It had lost its limit settings and wont let me program  new one because of insufficient power.

Following a long thread on mybroadband the guys fit batteries with a high aH rating. These are also bigger in physical size and dont fit in the battery compartment, so the guys are building external "cages" to house them. 

Initially I thought i'd have to drop the entire motor to get to the batteries, but I managed to find a short enough screwdriver to get in there and unscrew the screws. 

I have 2 x 12v 9ah LA batteries that I bought for a UPS, the ups decided to let its smoke escape shortly after installing the batteries. Tested their voltage and they were still good, just a bit flat. I stuck them in the open battery department to connect them up and test with the thoughts of, if they work I'll build a "cage" to house them. But even though they dont fit the compartment properly, they still sit securely inside, all be it without being able to close the compartment after.

First test and there was enough power to start the programming sequence, but not enough to finish.

So I've left them on charge, the door on manual release for now. Once programmed I'm hoping the extra capacity will see me through the load shedding. for now

I still want to trace the conduit going to the garage, I can see where it enters the garage but not on the house side. The idea is to run power through there (it currently only holds the wire for the alarm PIR in the garage) from the Inverter. That way we're not depleting tiny batteries in the garage motors during loadshedding.

Hi guys. I have a technical question. If I opt for the 5kva with 1 x 5.12wkh battery (no pv's), I understand that during load shedding I'm limited to using certain appliances only at the same time, up to eg 5000 watts combined (1c battery). My question is...if there is no load shedding, can I run more than this...ie can I run eg 7000watts at the same time as I do now when using normal Eskom power? Or, does all power have to still go through the inverter and I'm limited to 5000 even though there is no load shedding? My non-essentials will be stove, geyser, pool-pump. During non-load shedding, I want to be able to use microwave, kettle, airfryer etc which are all on the essentials - at the same time?

Guidance would be appreciated.