Specialized Epic Comp Rear Suspension

JJDT

Replaced all the pivot bearings about two weeks ago while the rear shock was being serviced. After riding found that going over very rough terrain fast it felt like that the shock was bottoming out strange noise like something is hitting against something.

Before the next ride made sure that the sag is correctly setup and adjusted the rebound and also at the brain side adjusted the setting to a firmer ride. The problem was still there. Later I noticed that there is play on the bracket that connects to the rear seat stay when the bike was being washed.

Is is possible that those bearings are busted after just two very rough terrain rides?

22 hours ago, JJDT said:

Replaced all the pivot bearings about two weeks ago while the rear shock was being serviced. After riding found that going over very rough terrain fast it felt like that the shock was bottoming out strange noise like something is hitting against something.

Before the next ride made sure that the sag is correctly setup and adjusted the rebound and also at the brain side adjusted the setting to a firmer ride. The problem was still there. Later I noticed that there is play on the bracket that connects to the rear seat stay when the bike was being washed.

Is is possible that those bearings are busted after just two very rough terrain rides?

might not be that the bearings are shot after one ride, but might have been damaged in the install.

Sounds more like something wasn't tightened properly when it was being reassembled, or there's a spacer missing somewhere. If a bearing wears out on one ride it was either very badly installed or made of some sort of cheese.

Whoever did the service should be able to sort it out easily enough.

23 hours ago, droo said:

Sounds more like something wasn't tightened properly when it was being reassembled

This was the issue, when the shock was serviced the bracket that bolts onto the shock was not properly tightened, hence the play noticed although not big but just enough to cause the feeling of a shock bottoming out. When removing the shock I removed the bracket attached to the shock because it is of no use if the bracket is removed from the shock.

I went to the local Specialized store who diagnosed the problem and while I was there I also asked them to check whether my rebound settings is fine as I can not get it right. While trying to set the rebound they found that the rebound is not working. Shock was removed and sent back to specialized to repair.