Gravel Travel 100 Miler

mecheng89

Good afternoon Hubbers!

So is anyone going this event? I have a feeling it could be a pretty fast route, heading down to the Vaal and back on mostly gravel roads. 

"The route will be combined with signage and well marked as well as self navigation and a GPX file will be sent in the week of the race for riders to download, 

The 100mile route will take the riders from Cafe du cirque heading out Daleside on fast gravel district roads towards Three rivers. From there the route will head towards the Vaal dam also on a long decent (Generally assisted by some tail wind). The route then takes a turn and heads back towards the South of JHB through several farm roads and jeep track. From here it is about 100km to go. If you are too eager in the beginning, it is going to be a real uphill battle home! 

From here it is generally headwind most of the way home with a slight uphill gradient for around 20km until you get a nice flowing downhill. Here is where the fun starts where the route goes through some farms and winding jeep tracks with a bit of tar here and there. 

As you approach the latter end you find yourself back on the fast gravel roads towards Klipriver before turning back down to Cafe du cirque with a nice flat run to the finish!

4 Waterpoints- 56km/80km/105km/130km (These are subject to change but roughly where to expect the waterpoints)

105km Waterpoint will also have a tech zone."

https://www.entryninja.com/events/77902-gt-100-miler?fbclid=IwAR1XX6_W-LDoDPwJlY5cR366yQ3wP2FTfIRGfvJBYiEWopFBYyJN_bS9WRo#general

@DieseInDust, mine is probably dead but screw the thong i’ll only even look at it next weekend…and do a strip down deep clean. 

Look out for all the ‘only 100km done’ ones in classifieds this week🤣🤣🤣

Edited by MORNE

19 minutes ago, MORNE said:

@DieseInDust, mine is probably dead but screw the thong i’ll only even look at it next weekend…and do a strip down deep clean. 

Look out for all the ‘only 100km done’ ones in classifieds this week🤣🤣🤣

Mint condition 

Am not really fit enough to do the 160km . Would be my longest ride EVER 😬

Also not raced ( wouldn’t be racing really) for quite a while . Is the entry fee the going rate for this type of ride for what will definitely be a smaller field.

If the wind is no playing ball as it hasn’t done . Could be a bloody tough ride when you turn around to come home. 

12 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Am not really fit enough to do the 160km . Would be my longest ride EVER 😬

Also not raced ( wouldn’t be racing really) for quite a while . Is the entry fee the going rate for this type of ride for what will definitely be a smaller field.

If the wind is no playing ball as it hasn’t done . Could be a bloody tough ride when you turn around to come home. 

Weather prediction at Circus as of right now. Headwind home, joy. 

Screenshot 2022-07-24 184058.png

1 minute ago, mecheng89 said:

Weather prediction at Circus as of right now. Headwind home, joy. 

Screenshot 2022-07-24 184058.png

If only 🤞🏻

On 7/25/2022 at 5:17 PM, Tillaman said:

Does anyone know what time the 60km starts?

8:30

Edited by mecheng89
Got the time wrong, fixed it after reading the email from the organizer

Dear xxx,

We are so excited to welcome you to the GT-100 Miler. Following are just a few IMPORTANT things to remember before the event on Saturday. 

PRE - REGISTRATION AND NUMBER COLLECTION: 

BoutTime will be managing the timing, race boards and the results

• Friday 29 July 2022 (Cycle Lab Megastore, Fourways) 13:00pm – 18:00pm
  • Saturday 30 July 2022 (Café du Cirque) 06:30am – 09:00am
  • LATE ENTRIES can be done on Friday at CycleLab and on the day from 06:30am

START TIMES: 

• Bomani GT 100 (08:00am) 
  • Bomani GT 60 (08:30am)
  • Bomani GT 10 (09:00am)

GPX FILE:

A GPX file will be sent to you on Wednesday to download for the 100miler only. The 60km will be marked with arrow signs (Keep a look out)

We suggest that all participants download the GPX File for the 100miler. 

GEAR LIST: 

• As the weather is still cold, we suggest bringing along some warm clothes to wear. 
  • There will be water points along the route, but we suggest that you bring your own preferred nutrition. 
  • Bring along your headlamp for when the sun sets, and you are still on the route. 

SATURDAYS SCHEDULE:

• Bon fires will be going from 6am. Café du Cirque will have coffee and banana bread out and available to purchase.
  • Registration will start from 6:30am and end at 8:45am for the kiddies
  • Races start at 8:00am and the last race at 9:00am.
  • Prize giving for the 60km will be the top 3 Males overall and top 3 Females overall. We will do prize giving 10mins after we have a rounded podium.
  • Prize giving for the 100miler will cash prizes for top 3 Male and Female Elites as well as top 3 male and female for each age group.
  • Cut of times for the 100miler at specified points will be applicable. These will be announced on race day. Should you miss the cut of time, you will be directed to take a “short cut” to the finish.

All day music and entertainment
 Post race or not racing? Spend the day in this idyllic and well-known landmark and enjoy a menu that boasts a selection of delicious meals, presented with a flair all of its own; Relax in the epic beer garden or grab yourself a coffee and a slice of the BEST banana bread ever. This venue is an ideal host for our fun and family-friendly event

IMPORTANT 

• Your safety is a priority to us. We will take all necessary steps to ensure your safety, please note that there is no full road closure. We will have marshals marshalling key locations and road crossings, it remains your responsibility to obey all the rules of the road and to stay safe. Please keep a proper look our for cars.
  • There will be medical emergency services on standby and available at the event. Should you require any medical emergency assistance do not hesitate to contact the Contact Number below.
  • This is a CSA sanctioned event, all CSA rules are therefore applicable. 

CONTACT NUMBER

Do not hesitate to contact Nicola Biani on 084 597 3547, for all queries and medical emergencies or incidents on race day.

For more information please visit: https://www.entryninja.com/events/77902-gt-100-miler

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT – The BOMANI Team

On 7/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

I'll certainly be doing the 60, have entered for the full ride but depending how I feel Friday I'll decide.

Wish I could do the race this Saturday 😔....good luck mate , be strong .

11 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Dear xxx,

We are so excited to welcome you to the GT-100 Miler. Following are just a few IMPORTANT things to remember before the event on Saturday. 

PRE - REGISTRATION AND NUMBER COLLECTION: 

BoutTime will be managing the timing, race boards and the results

• Friday 29 July 2022 (Cycle Lab Megastore, Fourways) 13:00pm – 18:00pm
  • Saturday 30 July 2022 (Café du Cirque) 06:30am – 09:00am
  • LATE ENTRIES can be done on Friday at CycleLab and on the day from 06:30am

START TIMES: 

• Bomani GT 100 (08:00am) 
  • Bomani GT 60 (08:30am)
  • Bomani GT 10 (09:00am)

GPX FILE:

A GPX file will be sent to you on Wednesday to download for the 100miler only. The 60km will be marked with arrow signs (Keep a look out)

We suggest that all participants download the GPX File for the 100miler. 

GEAR LIST: 

• As the weather is still cold, we suggest bringing along some warm clothes to wear. 
  • There will be water points along the route, but we suggest that you bring your own preferred nutrition. 
  • Bring along your headlamp for when the sun sets, and you are still on the route. 

SATURDAYS SCHEDULE:

• Bon fires will be going from 6am. Café du Cirque will have coffee and banana bread out and available to purchase.
  • Registration will start from 6:30am and end at 8:45am for the kiddies
  • Races start at 8:00am and the last race at 9:00am.
  • Prize giving for the 60km will be the top 3 Males overall and top 3 Females overall. We will do prize giving 10mins after we have a rounded podium.
  • Prize giving for the 100miler will cash prizes for top 3 Male and Female Elites as well as top 3 male and female for each age group.
  • Cut of times for the 100miler at specified points will be applicable. These will be announced on race day. Should you miss the cut of time, you will be directed to take a “short cut” to the finish.

All day music and entertainment
 Post race or not racing? Spend the day in this idyllic and well-known landmark and enjoy a menu that boasts a selection of delicious meals, presented with a flair all of its own; Relax in the epic beer garden or grab yourself a coffee and a slice of the BEST banana bread ever. This venue is an ideal host for our fun and family-friendly event

IMPORTANT 

• Your safety is a priority to us. We will take all necessary steps to ensure your safety, please note that there is no full road closure. We will have marshals marshalling key locations and road crossings, it remains your responsibility to obey all the rules of the road and to stay safe. Please keep a proper look our for cars.
  • There will be medical emergency services on standby and available at the event. Should you require any medical emergency assistance do not hesitate to contact the Contact Number below.
  • This is a CSA sanctioned event, all CSA rules are therefore applicable. 

CONTACT NUMBER

Do not hesitate to contact Nicola Biani on 084 597 3547, for all queries and medical emergencies or incidents on race day.

For more information please visit: https://www.entryninja.com/events/77902-gt-100-miler

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT – The BOMANI Team

When did you get that, I haven't received anything .... Hope I get the GPX file 🤔

26 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

When did you get that, I haven't received anything .... Hope I get the GPX file 🤔

My partner and I have also not received any emails. 

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

Sooooooo R800 to ride a route that is always accessible, and you have to bring your own snacks?!?

Yeah nah yeah, I'll give this one a miss, as fun as 100 miler gravel rides are.

Good luck @mecheng89 and @NotSoBigBen!

Thanks man!

Like with many other things I do that are cycling related sometimes I do it just because I can no other reason 🤪