Overpricing…

OVERDRIVE

On 9/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, Spookie said:

😂😂😂 the answer is actually already provided! you can thank @ChrisF for his extensive 10 second google search on Saturday! 😉

Ha ha, that figures. I'd have put my money on them. They are useful for stocking up on small items I find. Would never buy a bike from them, or let mine go anywhere near them for a service.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, ChrisF said:

Unsuspecting buyer being the key term ....

In this modern era it takes 10 seconds to check typical prices ... and in this case to see O. Cycles as having this bike .....

Short of some serious extras, this is not a "good deal" ....

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/593404/cannondale-2022-top-stone-gravel-bike-demo

so much for that “buyer” they told me they had for it 👀😂

I am old enough to remember when you could post comments on a add and people would call out overpricing :).  Also calling dibs and fights would start on who had dibs first pm or post.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, lechatnoir said:

i bought peppers from Woolies and had them in the fridge. lasted forever. in fact, much longer than the one i picked fresh from my garden, which i can't imagine being fresher. so what am I putting into my body when I am extorted at Woolies? good things, I'm sure, but good for whom?

I doubt they are irradiating or adding anything. Could be that the strain you are growing isn't the same. Maybe GMO comes into it. If you've ever been to one of the Fresh Produce Markets you'll realize that there are different prices based on age. The cheaper it is the older it is. For eg a fresh pepper you could use as a mirror is close to what you see at Woolworths and maybe Checkers but the dull, limp peppers at Spar and Pnp are probably 3 weeks older.....same goes for all the other products. It's mind-blowing when you see a hall only for potatoes...

28 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I doubt they are irradiating or adding anything. Could be that the strain you are growing isn't the same. Maybe GMO comes into it. If you've ever been to one of the Fresh Produce Markets you'll realize that there are different prices based on age. The cheaper it is the older it is. For eg a fresh pepper you could use as a mirror is close to what you see at Woolworths and maybe Checkers but the dull, limp peppers at Spar and Pnp are probably 3 weeks older.....same goes for all the other products. It's mind-blowing when you see a hall only for potatoes...

who's to say? all I know is I grew my own peppers from seedlings, nurtured them, yet woolies peppers outlasted them by miles. I am curious as to what that's about and is it good for me? I truly don't know, that's why I ask.

But back to the topic at hand... my pepper was far cheaper.

20 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

who's to say? all I know is I grew my own peppers from seedlings, nurtured them, yet woolies peppers outlasted them by miles. I am curious as to what that's about and is it good for me? I truly don't know, that's why I ask.

But back to the topic at hand... my pepper was far cheaper.

My cousin grows peppers, and sells to woolies. They have the science down to a Tee. They grow in tunnels, using hydroponics, dosing fertilizer as needed, sorting out pests as needed and it goes into cold storage soon after picking. And woolies take great care in their supply chain. 

I'm guessing that you grew your peppers in the backyard, without spraying any pesticides? I'm also guessing that yours tasted nearly as good as the store bought peppers, even if they weren't as pretty?