Slx vs xt

Matt006

Just now, Matt006 said:

Which cassettes last longer slx or xt? 

I am pretty sure they both have the hardest 10 gears made of steel and the easiest 2 made of aluminium. So probably fairly similar. (I am referring to 12 speed)

But the simple answer is that DEORE lasts the longest because it is all steel. So if you prioritise longevity over weight, then go deore.

Just now, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I am pretty sure they both have the hardest 10 gears made of steel and the easiest 2 made of aluminium. So probably fairly similar. (I am referring to 12 speed)

But the simple answer is that DEORE lasts the longest because it is all steel. So if you prioritise longevity over weight, then go deore.

Deore don't make a 12 sp in a 10-45 range which is what I'm currently running 

They are basically the same thing ‘cept for the fact that slx has less alu carriers ( slx has more seperate loose cogs) and a few less alloy cogs at the top. Xt will be lighter..i guess technically the slx should last a tad longer (only because less alu cogs) but is heavier. Id get either or

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yes, but remember the two softer allu cogs can be individually replaced. Deore cassette needs to be binned once the two smaller gears are worn

1 minute ago, Matt006 said:

Deore don't make a 12 sp in a 10-45 range which is what I'm currently running 

ok I wasn't sure if you had a microspline hub, so I suggested Deore in case you were open to options...

So I guess the general consensus here is go SLX for longevity, but same-same really. 

2 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Yes, but remember the two softer allu cogs can be individually replaced. Deore cassette needs to be binned once the two smaller gears are worn

Haha actually forgot about that, so used to SRAM these days. But I think it will be a shitshow finding just those 2 cogs here in SA where shimano spares support basically doesn't exist. Also can't you replace the deore cogs, or am I being stupid? (my brain doesn't work on a friday arvo haha)

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

3 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Haha actually forgot about that, so used to SRAM these days. But I think it will be a shitshow finding just those 2 cogs here in SA where shimano spares support basically doesn't exist. Also can't you replace the deore cogs, or am I being stupid? (my brain doesn't work on a friday arvo haha)

Deore you can replace those 2 sprockets but as you said trying to source those 2 sprockets from shimano SA will be a mission

2 minutes ago, droo said:

Both will last a very long time if you replace your chain before it hist 0.5% wear.

Run your chain past that and they'll both be toast.

Drivetrain wear is caused by chains, not soft cassettes.

The amount of people I see who have a chain past 0.75% and just want to replace it and leave the rest of the drivetrain is shocking. You will never get shifting perfect and it will slip under power. IMO it is just better to leave it and ride it till it completely dies once the chain is past 0.75

3 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

The amount of people I see who have a chain past 0.75% and just want to replace it and leave the rest of the drivetrain is shocking. You will never get shifting perfect and it will slip under power. IMO it is just better to leave it and ride it till it completely dies once the chain is past 0.75

0.5% and a new chain will slip. Ride it into the ground and replace it when it's properly dead - you'd be surprised how far you can push a SRAM drivetrain.

I'll carry on with my 5 year old Eagle cassette in the meantime. Onto my 4th chain and still going strong.

1 minute ago, droo said:

0.5% and a new chain will slip. Ride it into the ground and replace it when it's properly dead - you'd be surprised how far you can push a SRAM drivetrain.

I'll carry on with my 5 year old Eagle cassette in the meantime. Onto my 4th chain and still going strong.

If you replace a chain before it hits 0.5, then your cassette will last 1000's of km. A lot of people also neglect to wax their chain and clean it, which doesn't exactly help...