Cannondale Fsi Hardtail Rear rim compatibility

Tothehills

Hi Hubbers

Is there any cyclists here that has knowledge on rear rim options for a NON boost Cannondale hardtail FSi frame (QR)

I recently purchased a new set STANS rims from some "mega" store in PTA.

Long story short, they send me the boost version. I was told that Cannondale can only use specific rims that are dished to one side? Is this true? So it should be an A-symmetrical setup?

Thanks

cannondale.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tothehills said:

Hi Hubbers

Is there any cyclists here that has knowledge on rear rim options for a NON boost Cannondale hardtail FSi frame (QR)

I recently purchased a new set STANS rims from some "mega" store in PTA.

Long story short, they send me the boost version. I was told that Cannondale can only use specific rims that are dished to one side? Is this true? So it should be an A-symmetrical setup?

Thanks

cannondale.jpg

Yeah that rim will work if the wheel gets dished. I haven't heard of boost and non-boost rims.

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

fSI need the rear rim dished 6mm to the non drive side 

no such thing as a boost rim but wait wait wait I smell opportunities 

Maybe you could sell boost rims and I sell boost tires? I also think boost brake rotors sound like money...

2 minutes ago, 117 said:

And boost chains.... 😉

can't forget boost seats, grips and most importantly boost helmets

Boost helmets exist already. They have 1-5 letter names 

Edited by 117

I would assume you bought a wheel, not a rim. If it was Boost and your frame wasn't you would have had to bend the dropouts open by 6mm to get the wheel in, and your through axle wouldn't be long enough.

What you have there is a wheel that's out of dish - any half-decent wheel builder can sort that out for you. As D&D says, Cannondale wheels from that era need to be dished 6mm to the left - it evens out spoke tension and makes for a stronger wheel.

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah that rim will work if the wheel gets dished. I haven't heard of boost and non-boost rims.

19 minutes ago, droo said:

I would assume you bought a wheel, not a rim. If it was Boost and your frame wasn't you would have had to bend the dropouts open by 6mm to get the wheel in, and your through axle wouldn't be long enough.

What you have there is a wheel that's out of dish - any half-decent wheel builder can sort that out for you. As D&D says, Cannondale wheels from that era need to be dished 6mm to the left - it evens out spoke tension and makes for a stronger wheel.

Thanks for that!

My Bad, i needed to say boost hubs, not rims.

Understanding woman would be easier that getting a set of non boost wheels, 15mm front through axle with 140mm rear with QR adaptors.

I'm from the great North, was in JHB over 2 weeks ago. Went to 7 cycling shops to buy wheels, no one has stock. Fitting a micro spline or XD driver is like asking for the correct lotto numbers!

Another Tool that was impossible to find in all the shops was a freaking Vernier to measure axle length.

The "mega" shop also sold me a used shimano RD, for the price of a new one off coarse. 

Cannondale FSI hard tail from 2016 used a 142mm thru axle rear hub. These are common and popular but you have to ask for a gravel hub because trendy shops only sprang up after 148mm boost came into existence. Guys like droo who were around BB (before boost) will know how to order “ gravel “ parts for your hard tail grav…. Sorry Mtb bike

6 minutes ago, Tothehills said:

Thanks for that!

My Bad, i needed to say boost hubs, not rims.

Understanding woman would be easier that getting a set of non boost wheels, 15mm front through axle with 140mm rear with QR adaptors.

I'm from the great North, was in JHB over 2 weeks ago. Went to 7 cycling shops to buy wheels, no one has stock. Fitting a micro spline or XD driver is like asking for the correct lotto numbers!

Another Tool that was impossible to find in all the shops was a freaking Vernier to measure axle length.

The "mega" shop also sold me a used shimano RD, for the price of a new one off coarse. 

Yeah there are so many hub standards it is crazy. Also non-boost wheels of any reasonable quality are a mission to find nowadays.

16 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah there are so many hub standards it is crazy. Also non-boost wheels of any reasonable quality are a mission to find nowadays.

Not really. Just speak to your LBS and they'll build you whatever you want, although it may not be the cheapest solution.

Or buy from Lyne. They usually have most widths in stock.

45 minutes ago, droo said:

Not really. Just speak to your LBS and they'll build you whatever you want, although it may not be the cheapest solution.

Or buy from Lyne. They usually have most widths in stock.

Non boost aka 142mm is very popular just not marketed as Mtb but rather “gravel”

plenty of hubs around and even rims are really just a lot of marketing limbo jumbo. A gravel rim is a nice light XCO rim or sometimes a heavy XCO rim. 

the rule applies: pick your rim width and be a Richard about it 😂

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Non boost aka 142mm is very popular just not marketed as Mtb but rather “gravel”

plenty of hubs around and even rims are really just a lot of marketing limbo jumbo. A gravel rim is a nice light XCO rim or sometimes a heavy XCO rim. 

the rule applies: pick your rim width and be a Richard about it 😂

Width? On bikes with skinny(ish) tyres it's all about depth isn't it?