40's challenge - I need a coach / club

rudi-h

Just turned the big Four-O.  Seeing some guys my age (Philippe Gilbert, Valverde) still performing pretty damn well, I thought it's time for a serious fitness challenge.  I've been pretty active for most of my adult life, but never felt that I really tested the edge of my capabilities.

My 40's challenge is to run 8km @ 4m/km pace, i.e. 32m00s flat or better.

Always more of a cyclist than a runner, my best runs were ~4m25/km over that distance in Jozi.  I'm currently closer to 5m15s/km so I have a lot of work to do.

I am also entered for 70.3 in Mosselbay, so looking for a multisport coach, but for this year the focus needs to be on running and losing weight (currently 92 and guess I'd need to drop to 85kg).

Can anyone recommend a coach / training group for someone with these kinds of goals?  Most clubs / groups / individuals my age are more focussed on stamina and endurance than speed.

3 hours ago, rudi-h said:

Just turned the big Four-O.  Seeing some guys my age (Philippe Gilbert, Valverde) still performing pretty damn well, I thought it's time for a serious fitness challenge.  I've been pretty active for most of my adult life, but never felt that I really tested the edge of my capabilities.

My 40's challenge is to run 8km @ 4m/km pace, i.e. 32m00s flat or better.

Always more of a cyclist than a runner, my best runs were ~4m25/km over that distance in Jozi.  I'm currently closer to 5m15s/km so I have a lot of work to do.

I am also entered for 70.3 in Mosselbay, so looking for a multisport coach, but for this year the focus needs to be on running and losing weight (currently 92 and guess I'd need to drop to 85kg).

Can anyone recommend a coach / training group for someone with these kinds of goals?  Most clubs / groups / individuals my age are more focussed on stamina and endurance than speed.

Most running clubs do track sessions and weekly TTs.

Training to be faster takes serious dedication and as with everything, consistency. Be careful of being heavier than normal and trying to train to be faster before you're 'comfortable' doing things as you are.

Getting faster often leads to niggles and little gripes from overdoing it too soon.

Build slowly and be consistent. 1km on, 1km off, 400m flat out and 400m off, (fartleks) and some hill repeats will be a good start.

If you can't get to a track, mark some stuff out on the road, use lamp posts or measure a loop around a block in your hood. 

How good is your swimming? The swim is important. You want to get it done as quickly as you can but feeling really fresh. It's a fine balance. 

Good luck