Fork Stanchion repair

Vinnige

54 minutes ago, reteid said:

Hi not to hijack the op's thread but does that also include fork stanchions and if yes what lube?

The oil inside is supposed to do that 

If you put oil on the outside and think that does anything then your seals likely should've been replaced 50hrs ago 

Stanchion oils tend to keep the lip of the seal wet which can't be a bad thing in my books but its not going to get more than 3mm deep after the seal lip.

Fancy external products will never be A replacement for good regular maintenance 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, Vinnige said:

Hi

Looking for a service provider that repair damage to stanchions. 

Regards

Black Sheep 

On 10/20/2022 at 1:10 PM, Vinnige said:

SRAM AXS dropper

Looks like I cant buy stanchion only.   Have to buy new unit. 

Try black sheep bikes. The have station filler(used to fill scratches). Not sure if it works on droppers. Don't see why it wouldn't though. 

On 10/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Vinnige said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-20 at 13.08.32.jpg

Serious lack of maintenance there and use in very dirty conditions without being cleaned?  Those haven't even been out that long. The only dropper I have seen with that kind of damage was a crumby Giant version I had - the design and execution was so weak it wore no mater what you did. It carried on working to a point even with the drag inducing wear at the back of the stanchion. As someone else pointed out this isn't a sealing surface - unlike some such as  the Specialized droppers - so it should still work for a while.

As BaGeara and Headshot have already said, that's straight up lack of maintenance. Some would say borderline abuse. Possibly coupled with crusty riding conditions and pressure washers.

There's no stanchion filler in the world that's going to make any difference to that upper tube now, nor are there any replacement parts available. It's either replace or ride it till it seizes, then replace.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/dropper-post-maintenance/

Post-ride service of your dropper post

The best thing you can do to prolong the life of your dropper seat post is to keep it clean. After every ride gently wash off any mud and grime from the post shaft. Just like all the sensitive parts of your bike, do not pressure wash the wiper seal of your dropper post. To keep the main wiper seal in good working order, it is recommended to apply a small amount of suspension lube to the clean seal to keep it lubricated. Stay away from degreasers or penetrating oil as they will strip out the factory grease from the wiper seal and reduce its longevity.

Edited by dasilvarsa

On 10/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, BaGearA said:

The oil inside is supposed to do that 

If you put oil on the outside and think that does anything then your seals likely should've been replaced 50hrs ago 

Stanchion oils tend to keep the lip of the seal wet which can't be a bad thing in my books but its not going to get more than 3mm deep after the seal lip.

Fancy external products will never be A replacement for good regular maintenance 

Was just wondering if anyone puts anything lube wise on them. My Rockshox still going strong with no wear after 12 years so obviously I am doing something right.

51 minutes ago, reteid said:

Was just wondering if anyone puts anything lube wise on them. My Rockshox still going strong with no wear after 12 years so obviously I am doing something right.

I use Brunox Fork Deo after every wash. I also service my fork every 50 hours at most.