Couple of general questions

Tokyo

So got the bike, clothes, shoes and bike rack.  But now I'm starting to remember how the buying never ends 😅.  

1.  What light is recommended for night riding.  Still have my led lenser so can always just use that. 

2.  What chain lube should I get use to use squirt is that still good.  

3.  This seems fine and pretty decent should I get something better quality?

Check this out on takealot: Bike cleaning tool set 7 pcs with chain cleaner Cycling cleaner
https://www.takealot.com/bike-cleaning-tool-set-7-pcs-with-chain-cleaner-cycling-cleaner/PLID70395501

4.  Do you buy specific cleaners for bike or just use car wash?

5.  What bike maintenance things should I absolutely get (got a hand pump and a multi tool without the bike chain attachment, and a couple of boms)

I'm going to be riding alone and doing some shorter races until I feel I can comfortably do atleast 50km before riding with others so need to rely on myself.   (I won't enjoy group rides if I feel I have to kill myself not to keep people back) 

I realy like the Extream Lights. Local brand down in Cape Town. Very good battery life and never had a day/nights problem with it. 

As for lube this might open a whole debate on what brand is better. I use Smoove but lets see what others say and use.

Squirt is good as is smoove.

Most lubes are and often your purchase is based on your cleaning regime and frequency.

Don't apply and go ride, apply to a clean chain to the rollers - the Ryder lube device works well for this.

Allow to dry before riding, so night before minimum I reckon but opinions may vary as will the product you use. Just stay away from the graphene snake oil stuff!

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

As for lube this might open a whole debate on what brand is better. I use Smoove but lets see what others say and use.

I can't really speak much on the other items, but Barry is right lube is one of those items where it boils down to personal choice. 

I have tried a lot brands but eventually settled on Max Wax. And in my limited experience in the sport I have found wax based lubes to be the best. I've managed to do just under 12000km on my chain with no issues. 

Lubes ... already answered.

Cleaning kit seems fine

I am happy with the Nam Gear range of products .

1. Polish on a rag ... wipe onto frame.  DONT get it near a brake discs !!!

2.  Wash ... Only after muddy rides ...

3. Degreaser .... only on the chain .... keep far far away from bearings .... damned expensive T.shirt that one

Avoid strong jets of water onto the bike .....

9 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Squirt is good as is smoove.

Most lubes are and often your purchase is based on your cleaning regime and frequency.

Don't apply and go ride, apply to a clean chain to the rollers - the Ryder lube device works well for this.

Allow to dry before riding, so night before minimum I reckon but opinions may vary as will the product you use. Just stay away from the graphene snake oil stuff!

That graphene black wax is supposed to be very good but never given it a go bit out of my price range. Recommend by Absolute Black Chainring's think is there product. 

Get a master link for your chain plus a spare.

I wash my chain in a glass bottle with degreaser and warm water. Rinse, dry, then lube. This is done the same day as the ride, so that it’s ready for the next ride; no forgetting to do something the night before or on the day.

if you use degreaser, dilute according to the general purpose use and not heavy-use.

1.     I use this: Rookiesports: Fluir Elite 1000lm light. (but out of stock)

2.  MTB squirt. RB: Oil based  

3.  I use paraffin for drivetrain cleaning and sunlight dish with a brush(the ones for shoes as it is nice an soft) and rag for wheels and frame

4.  paraffin and sunlight dish

5.  I bought Ryder Pump Digital Floor 3.0. Helps a lot with the MTB to get correct inflation. The rest I got as I go along with playing bike mechanic not necessary in the beginning.

on the bike RB: tube, bomb, tyre levers MTB: 2xbombs, plugs and tool, multitool (for short rides)

1: Use 2 sets of lights. A wide beam for the bars, and a narrow bean attached to your lid. I use a lezyne xl1000 for the wide, and one of those marvel jobs with the spare battery pack for the narrow beam

2: Dont over complicate lubing the chain, just make sure it is lubed. 

3: Elbow grease and a small soft brush. I also use a high pressure cleaner when I'm too lazy

4: Clean Green. I mix it around 10:1 ratio with normal water and use a foaming squirt bottle to apply it to the bikes

5: Again, dont over complicate it, as long as you have a decent floor pump and a basic set of tools (allen keys) in the garage you'll be fine. On the bike, you'll need whatever you want to carry. Sometimes less is more but at worst carry a bomb, allen key tool, tyre plugs and spare chain lube

Light - Ravemen PR1600 or PR2400. Handlebar remotes, and if you need extra battery life you can just plug a power bank in, for shorter rides they're self contained with no external battery pack. And they won't break the bank.

+1 on Namgear for cleaning stuff and Smoove for chain lube. Muc-Off if you're feeling fancy.  Brush kits are brush kits as long as they have all the right bits and there are at least a few that are soft enough not to scratch paint.

Trailside kit - multitool with chainbreaker, make sure it's got all the sizes you need. Spare quicklink, bombs, pump, gear cable, tube, tyre gaiter, a couple of zip ties and a bit of tape. This should cover most of what you'll encounter on the trail, for everything else there's Mastercard or walking shoes.