Thule Bike Rack and dust

Andretn

Thank you everyone for your contribution. I will only use it when doing dirt roads. We drove a 130km between Loeriesfontein to Britstown on a dirt road! I have never seen such a dirty bike in my life!

Will keep you posted when I had a bag made

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

ahh yes I forgot about the part where he is driving a barn door.

But I would imagine a modern MTB would still stick out past the sides, even on a tractor like the Amarok.

I also would not trust the buffeting of a cover like that against my bike.

Buy a V6 Amarok - we get +10km/l with a canopy plus bike rack

13 minutes ago, Andretn said:

Buy a V6 Amarok - we get +10km/l with a canopy plus bike rack

why would I want worse economy, worse performance, worse ride quality, worse repayments, worse insurance, .............. than I have now ?

1 hour ago, Andretn said:

Thank you everyone for your contribution. I will only use it when doing dirt roads. We drove a 130km between Loeriesfontein to Britstown on a dirt road! I have never seen such a dirty bike in my life!

Will keep you posted when I had a bag made

Maybe talk to Johnny a Velotex maybe he has an idea or might have a ready made solution 

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Agree. A mountain bike is going to get dusty as soon as you start your ride anyways. A cloth and a spray bottle with water is more than what you need to wipe the dust off your bike when you get to your destination. 

Nope .... :P

We did a LOT of gravel riding from Cape Town to Augrabies, including LOTS of dirt roads as it was part of working on various farms.

The bike was on a roof rack.

I did a lot of "track" riding on the farms ... litterally just following the animal tracks on the farms.  Sure, the bike gets a bit of dust on it, when riding.

Back at home the bike had minimal dust on it.  Most importantly, the chain was still in good condition.

The following Saturday we attended a ride outside Worcester.  For local rides I used the platform rack .... 5km of dusty farm road !!! OUCH !!!  A solid layer of fine dust on the drive train !!  Thats before the event !!  No way to really get it clean before the ride.

I avoid using the platform rack on dirt roads as much as possible ....

With the current slacker geometry the wheels stick out past the sides of the car.  So that cover will be solid wind brake !!!