Theunissa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/30/2022 at 7:11 PM, ChrisF said:

Our history ....

Maritz grew up with those horid black scooter bikes .... he just did not want to get going on a bicycle.

January 2017 I took him to Hazendal, he was 5 and half.  He grew up camping on 4x4 trips.  He was barely 6 months old during their first trip to North Namibia .... so once he saw the mud he just HAD to go through it, again and again ....  He was hooked :thumbup:

85765051_Fiets1-4.jpg.110b9373d350ef493c6dc26075b0e1a7.jpg

1909012355_Fiets1-10.jpg.84ca060ca3178fc8c871802926ce97b7.jpg

Two weeks later it was time to get going without training wheels.

IMG_0709.JPG.69815b96bcea8d598f241fd6b4f01b60.JPG

Meerendal-42.jpg.5b2edd456809f2a2e09722a75ad373d9.jpg

By 5 years and 11 months we did the 12km loop of Hermanus trails.  Stopped a couple of times for sweets and photos on the 6km out lap .... My wife was waiting at Plaaskombuis .... nope, Maritz is running around and PLAYING while we wait for our food.  On the way back he just kept going and going ..... Back at the start I could not get him off the pump track ....

1493298387_HermanusTrails-10.jpg.83ee7352246e45040688df2d8e730698.jpg

Willow Creek 2017 .... our first event.  Pace was too high, and he ran out of steam .... but he REFUSED to get on the back-up vehicle !!  He soldiered on to the end.  

1892325079_WillowCreek-36.jpg.708c233157469e3809abbc9de1524165.jpg

Should mention here - Maritz is our godson.  We only get to ride every second Saturday ....

With him now solidly hooked on cycling we spoke to his parents .... the Totem went to their house, and we bought him a "proper bike" .... jip, over spending on a 20" is a right of passage for every parent ... :P

1987563321_Momsen-25(Large).jpg.d8505651151feb6286d733f3bf394d84.jpg

And then THEE best investment .... a schools skills coach .... (hulle luister beter vir Meneer as vir jou...)

Training-5.jpg.9e4bcdcd457b8f2a8c5491542b5fe141.jpg

His first Schools SPUR race was a wash-out .... litterally ... NOTHING could wash that smile off his face !!!

1806811306_SPURSW2018-110.jpg.f85e3de05babc7dbcdbe944c10d4adad.jpg

Fast forward .... he is now 11 years old and rocking a 26" Mongoose.  Our last event, Eselfontein 2022.

EF-44.jpg.fc5ba4acf4f7ae60d761baa551c40bc7.jpg

I am having to make peace with the reality .... only riding every 2nd Saturday limits his progress ....  More importantly, we are still having FUN on our rides :clap:

This is lovely!!!

Lekker to read all the stories and see the pictures.
When did you guys move your kids to a pedal bike? I was thinking as soon as my son can use the brakes I'll put the pedals on because he is using his feet to stop at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

When did you guys move your kids to a pedal bike? I was thinking as soon as my son can use the brakes I'll put the pedals on because he is using his feet to stop at the moment.

Mine was around 4. The brakes aren't so much the problem as the learning to pedal. It take alot of patience to tech them to push left then right. And not back pedal they back pedal easy

Edited by Theunissa

1 minute ago, Theunissa said:

Mine was around 4. The brakes aren't so much the problem as the learning to pedal. It take alot of patience to tech them to push left then right. And not back pedal they back pedal easy

And remember even if they can pull brakes downhill is not the best idea. Because alot of new things to learn so maybe go slow on flats till peddling is stable then do brakes and then etc

8 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

Mine was around 4.

5 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

And remember even if they can pull brakes downhill is not the best idea. Because alot of new things to learn so maybe go slow on flats till peddling is stable then do brakes and then etc

True. His balance bike has brakes on already and you can remove the foot stand or foot plate (Not sure what to call it) and then attach the cranks so, he will be on this bike for a while. He is pretty confident but as you say it is a lot to take in at the same time.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:02 AM, Pieter1 said:

I did brakes 1st and removed the pedals from her bike. Took her down a VERY steep hill and asked her to stay behind me and said we will go very slow. She used her brakes very well.

I then asked her a few times in the few weeks to follow if I can put the pedals on. We had them in her front basket on every ride. She just one day said yes (after many no's) and that day she started cycling by herself. 

On 1/12/2023 at 9:33 PM, hayleyearth said:

I did brakes 1st and removed the pedals from her bike. Took her down a VERY steep hill and asked her to stay behind me and said we will go very slow. She used her brakes very well.

I then asked her a few times in the few weeks to follow if I can put the pedals on. We had them in her front basket on every ride. She just one day said yes (after many no's) and that day she started cycling by herself. 

This makes sense. Thanks Hayley.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:34 AM, Pieter1 said:

This makes sense. Thanks Hayley.

Also struggled with our girl on pedals, she got off of the side wheels quickly but the pedalling took her 3 or 4 rides to get right.
That being said, probably quicker than most as she has her older brother to emulate.
She is flying now, just can't take off and land on her own due to seat height and leg length.
She rockets now though, often gets speed wobbles when her speed on the SS exceeds the gear ratio.......

20 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Also struggled with our girl on pedals, she got off of the side wheels quickly but the pedalling took her 3 or 4 rides to get right.
That being said, probably quicker than most as she has her older brother to emulate.
She is flying now, just can't take off and land on her own due to seat height and leg length.
She rockets now though, often gets speed wobbles when her speed on the SS exceeds the gear ratio.......

Ja that's why I got him onto a balance bike straight away, I did not want to go through the whole side wheel thing. I need to get my bike up and running so he can follow me around again.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Anybody need a set of side wheels, free to a good home.
In Pretoria.

Yyo can post it in " I need something you might throw away" 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys.

His bike has just been in for it's first service, basically just checking the bearings and the drum brake thing in the back. Took a few goes but doing well with the pedals on. 

He now wants goggles like mine... Does anyone know where I could find a pair for the little guy?

Service.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Hey guys.

His bike has just been in for it's first service, basically just checking the bearings and the drum brake thing in the back. Took a few goes but doing well with the pedals on. 

He now wants goggles like mine... Does anyone know where I could find a pair for the little guy?

Service.jpg

Do you use "glasses" of "motocycle goggles" ?

For goggles ... maybe look at the options in the swimming division at your sportshop.