Solomon Cycles - any one else having issues?

Gucci

24 minutes ago, Gucci said:

I binned it after too many issues with Waltly so I bought a Open Wide instead and plan to get fit not just look cool getting a coffee :)

@Gucci, awesome choice!! 

Few years back a couple in Cape Town did custom amo paint on their Open`s with flipside his and hers.

From your previous builds, sure it is going to look very classy.

Enjoy your ride

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DJuice said:

@Gucci, awesome choice!! 

Few years back a couple in Cape Town did custom amo paint on their Open`s with flipside his and hers.

From your previous builds, sure it is going to look very classy.

Enjoy your ride

Ja I definitely feel a new paint job over winter!! 

I just opened my order - the Asos Shorts I bought arnt as advertised, the shorts shown are the current model (newer black logos) and the ones I received are from 2019 with the old shammie and white rubber logo!!! 

NOW IM NOT IMPRESSED 

6 minutes ago, Gucci said:

I just opened my order - the Asos Shorts I bought arnt as advertised, the shorts shown are the current model (newer black logos) and the ones I received are from 2019 with the old shammie and white rubber logo!!! 

NOW IM NOT IMPRESSED 

I haven't ever been to Solomon's, (unless you count their stand at the Argus expo).

I have however read a bit about them here on the hub.

Seems like the place where you go to bargain, the listed price is just a starting point. Buy something and find a bit of OEM switcharoos on the bike that are out of spec but not enough to be a trainsmash sort of thing. Find a deal there, take it, but don't ever bring it back, even for the first complimentary service. Online - you gadda be mad.

Some of this might be totally unfair, but reputations are not given, they are earned. Which is why I am not surprised to see a bait and switch Assos deal on, it just adds to the mystique of Solomon's.

but hey if the price is right, I might still take a chance.

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Had similar experience when my wife ask me to order clothes for the children, living in rural Northern Cape, the fancy online address "tracker" could not found our delivery address, after 30min just gave up.

Had many conversations with online retailers and couriers services they use, some can get it right to have a package delivered in 24hours, others 7 days plus.

@Guccihow is the bike project coming?

Off topic, but couriers need to start using What3Words... very clever app.

Final Update - Arshad explained the error and dealt with it very well. 

I will have the correct shorts delivered to me before the weekend. 

Problems happen  - it's how you deal with them that count. 

I feel this was dealt with properly and I would now order again from them!! 

1 hour ago, Cheabb78 said:

Off topic, but couriers need to start using What3Words... very clever app.

you mean the app that requires people around the world to understand english spelling even if it is not their first language?

techbrokid477: hi yes, can you deliver it knot.imprecise.yacht?

malawian scooter guy: come again?

techbrokid477: hi yes, it is WHAT THREE WORDS. can you deliver it knot.imprecise.yacht?

techbrokid477: hi type in  www.whatthreewords.com

techbrokid477: hi type in WWW.WHATTHREEWORDS.COM

malawian scooter guy: ok chief, it is loading

techbrokid477: hi type in knot.imprecise.clueless

techbrokid477: hi type in KNOT IMPRECISE CLUELESS

malawian scooter guy:  NOT IMPRESISE CLEWLISS?

techbrokid477: ag bliksem, you know the KFC on main road? I meet you there.

malawian scooter guy:  sure thing chief

May be an image of text that says "English is difficult. It can be understood though through tough thorough thought."

Edited by Shebeen

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

you mean the app that requires people around the world to understand english spelling even if it is not their first language?

techbrokid477: hi yes, it is WHAT THREE WORDS. can you deliver it knot.imprecise.yacht?

That's the one... but seemed to work a lot easier for me 😂

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

May be an image of text that says "English is difficult. It can be understood though through tough thorough thought."

i know you jest and we assume it's only far east countries who struggle with this, but this rings true for French and Germans too lol. Thats what weird nationalism gets you i guess haha

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I haven't ever been to Solomon's, (unless you count their stand at the Argus expo).

Seems like the place where you go to bargain, the listed price is just a starting point. Buy something and find a bit of OEM switcharoos on the bike that are out of spec but not enough to be a trainsmash sort of thing. Find a deal there, take it, but don't ever bring it back, even for the first complimentary service. Online - you gadda be mad.

Some of this might be totally unfair, but reputations are not given, they are earned. Which is why I am not surprised to see a bait and switch Assos deal on, it just adds to the mystique of Solomon's.

And that therein is why i support them.

They buyout last years stock from importers looking to make place for new years stock - Solomons retail it at very good prices so its a win win - but dont expect, in most cases, the latest models.

I have bought all my MTB's through them and nowhere could I find better prices - in 2012 i purchased a brand new TREK Superfly 10K cheaper than Cyclelab for exact same model of offer.

In 2020 i cracked the frame and Solomons arranged the replacement frame under the TREK lifetime warranty policy, even though they are not a TREK dealer or concept store.

Go into their Woodmead branch and see the wall of high end wheels on offer at prices you won't get anywhere else.

Their online platform might not be on a par with other local online shops but they getting there.

Arshard & Aghtar are really cool guys and always willing to go the extra mile for their customers - Sometimes their staff drop the ball - it happens - just speak to them and they will get it sorted.

14 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Hahaha - I had to use this thing for the first time in Uk looking for my Air BnB at first I thought WTF!! is this a joke.

But once I got it working and arrived in the middle of nowhere in Northern Wales at my accommodation, which was a cottage in the middle of a farmer's field I realised that no way any other navigation would have got me there.

It really works well

4 minutes ago, madmarc said:

They buyout last years stock from importers looking to make place for new years stock - Solomons retail it at very good prices so its a win win - but dont expect, in most cases, the latest models.

I have bought all my MTB's through them and nowhere could I find better prices - in 2012 i purchased a brand new TREK Superfly 10K cheaper than Cyclelab for exact same model of offer.

In 2020 i cracked the frame and Solomons arranged the replacement frame under the TREK lifetime warranty policy, even though they are not a TREK dealer or concept store.

Go into their Woodmead branch and see the wall of high end wheels on offer at prices you won't get anywhere else.

Their online platform might not be on a par with other local online shops but they getting there.

Arshard & Aghtar are really cool guys and always willing to go the extra mile for their customers - Sometimes their staff drop the ball - it happens - just speak to them and they will get it sorted.

Great to hear - I agree that Arshard did go above and beyond to sort my issue out .

13 hours ago, madmarc said:

Agree. This has been my experience with them too.

14 hours ago, madmarc said:

Hahaha - I had to use this thing for the first time in Uk looking for my Air BnB at first I thought WTF!! is this a joke.

But once I got it working and arrived in the middle of nowhere in Northern Wales at my accommodation, which was a cottage in the middle of a farmer's field I realised that no way any other navigation would have got me there.

It really works well

It's one of many options. You could have got an actual GPS reference or even a Google maps plus code. Postal codes in the UK are actually quite useful too.

Maybe one will be universally adopted, GPS co ordinates are way ahead in this race already, that's what a WhatsApp pin uses for instance.

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Every shop has their niche, Solomon's is an in person shopping experience I think.

They do tend to have a lot of old stock laying around and this is where the bargaining comes into play I think. 

14 hours ago, madmarc said:

What MadMarc said! ^^^ 

I go into Soloman's Woodmead when ever I an in the area. 

They have great bargains and are always polite.