Gravel tyres width... advice?

Maniax

I thought I'd create a new topic so not to hi-jack a fellow hubber's topic

I need some advice from Gravel riders please? I'm looking at the pirelli Centurato M but cant decide between the 700x 40 or 45mm

I currently run the Spez Pathfinder pro 42's.  The ride on compact gravel is amazing.  but it cannot handle sand or mud at all.... no jokes. 

Problem is here in mpumulanga we have a lot of both.  so I dont want to sacrifice too much of the pathfinder's rolling resistance (which is great). but I need more grip.  I had a walk-a-bike section at the Alzu race this year because of sand.  My buddy on his mtb just floated over it.  I have to carry my bike.  Im riding the Baberton xcm in Jan.  77km with 2.3k vertical climbing.  I need grip. 

any advice on Pirelli's 40mm or 45? my frame can handle both.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked them, I can understand they must be fast rolling, but on dirt I'd be scared to hit the brakes on a descent or stand on the pedals on steep climbs. I'm looking like you for something fast rolling but that also has a bit of patterns to generate grip/traction when needed.

I do like the look of the gravel king... cyclelab has zipps also but they look maybe a little too much like MTB tyres, not sure

I read your post diagonaly, Cinturato looks very nice, I'd take a 45 if I see one in store, where are you planning on buying ?

I have the 40 mm Pirelli’s on my gravel bike.

I like the 40’s as they are great for a bit of everything.

They may not look it, but they are quite capable on the dirt.

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I read your post diagonaly, Cinturato looks very nice, I'd take a 45 if I see one in store, where are you planning on buying ?

evobikes has a massive special

8 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I have the 40 mm Pirelli’s on my gravel bike.

I like the 40’s as they are great for a bit of everything.

They may not look it, but they are quite capable on the dirt.

thanks

44 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I just checked them, I can understand they must be fast rolling, but on dirt I'd be scared to hit the brakes on a descent or stand on the pedals on steep climbs. I'm looking like you for something fast rolling but that also has a bit of patterns to generate grip/traction when needed.

I do like the look of the gravel king... cyclelab has zipps also but they look maybe a little too much like MTB tyres, not sure

from the reviews Ive watched from capable gravelriders the pirelli's made a big impact for the good. especially the M's

I just bought the 40's - R695 each.  will test and revert.   I confess,  a deciding factor was quite a vain one.... I wanted the tan walls.... haha.

Thanks for the input guys 

Edited by Maniax

Thanks I checked evobikes, the M looks like a MTB tyre, the H isn't in stock anymore for my size ! I'll pop in store tomorrow after doing registration at CWC see what they have, they seem too have a wide range :)

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

Thanks I checked evobikes, the M looks like a MTB tyre, the H isn't in stock anymore for my size ! I'll pop in store tomorrow after doing registration at CWC see what they have, they seem too have a wide range :)

I have found tires on the shelv at CWC, that were not on their website.

Worth a look if you are going to be there

Is somthing like this an option ?

PANARACER GRAVEL KING SK 700C x 43C TYRE – BROWN SIDEWALL

At evobikes

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have found tires on the shelv at CWC, that were not on their website.

Worth a look if you are going to be there

of course that was the plan as well, ;) looking for gravel tires and a chainring, will go to evobikes if I don't find everything I need at CWC. CWC often has more in store than IRL, Evobikes often the oposite, but with both next to each other I often end up finding what I need !

2 hours ago, Maniax said:

I thought I'd create a new topic so not to hi-jack a fellow hubber's topic

I need some advice from Gravel riders please? I'm looking at the pirelli Centurato M but cant decide between the 700x 40 or 45mm

I currently run the Spez Pathfinder pro 42's.  The ride on compact gravel is amazing.  but it cannot handle sand or mud at all.... no jokes. 

Problem is here in mpumulanga we have a lot of both.  so I dont want to sacrifice too much of the pathfinder's rolling resistance (which is great). but I need more grip.  I had a walk-a-bike section at the Alzu race this year because of sand.  My buddy on his mtb just floated over it.  I have to carry my bike.  Im riding the Baberton xcm in Jan.  77km with 2.3k vertical climbing.  I need grip. 

any advice on Pirelli's 40mm or 45? my frame can handle both.

Barberton XCM on a gravel bike might not be the best option.... but I assume you have ridden it before, full marathon?

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Is somthing like this an option ?

PANARACER GRAVEL KING SK 700C x 43C TYRE – BROWN SIDEWALL

At evobikes

I did look at them. The reviews showed the Pirelli the better option though .. might just be down to subjective choice as well.