Hi. I am interested in starting to ride. Particularly for daily campus commute in the city and it would be nice to use the same bike for leisure otherwise (not too hard trails etc). I've seen the Raleigh Volt 24" e bike on sale and yet I've seen people saying not to buy raleighs or bikes from makro/game on this website? 

I used to ride when I was a kid (had one of those BMX bikes with reverse brakes for many years...a raleigh which held up well). Since then it's only been hiring bikes on holiday once in a while. I am not fit at all but I am young and do quite a bit of walking. 

I am about 60kg and 175-180cm tall (and wear size 11s...dk if that affects bike riding). Not fit at all (7 minutes of indoor football has me finished). It's a major reason I'd prefer an e bike.

Campus is about 5km away...it's a 40 min walk and a 10-15 min drive. It is near the city centre so regardless of the bike safety is an issue. I'm also an unemployed student. Both these reasons have me wanting a bike that is cheaper. Also I might be carrying heavy textbooks in a backpack/on a rack at the back so weight might increase even above 80kg. 

I wanted to know if the Raleigh Volt 24" e bike is a worthwhile buy. Both for my size/weight and long term use. Daily commute plus occasional trails. There's another Raleigh e bike called the Glide (29")  that's usually cheaper but rn the Volt 24" is on sale.

Anyone used Raleigh e bikes? (these 2 and Volt 29" as they seem to be of similiar build and are the only ones available in SA...there's much nicer ones overseas) . I've seen people talking quite negatively about them on this forum but I don't think they've even used them.

If anyone has ridden them or knows of someone who has please tell me if I will be wasting my money or is it a worthwhile investment. I'd love for it to last me years but honestly I'd be content if it holds up perfectly for over a year of daily use. I'd also need it to be comfortable enough especially with added textbook weight and not give me any problems to fix. 

Please assist.Screenshot_20221207-073332_Chrome.jpg.405960fddd6e9fe9072a4c04dc4d37d8.jpgScreenshot_20221220_115447_Chrome.jpg.870255b2ea378d59b790cd2532e1dbfa.jpg

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

jislaaikit.

an ebike with shimano and hydraulic disks on it for R5k?

the world has a come a long way

Ya, I was also quite surprised to see that but, it is a 24" - if you're fairly tall it is going to look and feel quite funny. If an e-bike is what you're in the market for then I suppose this can work 😁

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

jislaaikit.

an ebike with shimano and hydraulic disks on it for R5k?

the world has a come a long way

😂😂 in time for me not to have to break the bank I'd say. 

Question is if it's both cheap and reliable or just cheap and too good to be true

4 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Ya, I was also quite surprised to see that but, it is a 24" - if you're fairly tall it is going to look and feel quite funny. If an e-bike is what you're in the market for then I suppose this can work 😁

I was also thinking of that. For abt 178cm do you think it will be uncomfortable? Then again I rode a kids BMX bike till I was so big my knees would hit the handlebars if I sat down and pedaled 🤣

9 minutes ago, M.S. - new to cycling said:

😂😂 in time for me not to have to break the bank I'd say. 

Question is if it's both cheap and reliable or just cheap and too good to be true

Well if I have a look at the key components: 

So to answer your question: Cheap and reliable. 

But here's what I would do if it was me (full disclosure, I do have lots of parts so for me it will be easy) 

I would go ahead and buy this bike and then if the bike is "well used" then I will use the electrical bits and some other parts (and yes I will take a grinder to the frame) and carry it over to 26er frame :oops:- And yes, I am aware that it will be a 24" at the back with a 26" in the front but with an e-bike it wont matter too much 🤪

51 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

But here's what I would do if it was me (full disclosure, I do have lots of parts so for me it will be easy) 

I would go ahead and buy this bike and then if the bike is "well used" then I will use the electrical bits and some other parts (and yes I will take a grinder to the frame) and carry it over to 26er frame :oops:- And yes, I am aware that it will be a 24" at the back with a 26" in the front but with an e-bike it wont matter too much 🤪

Thank you so very much !

Before you buy...go to the return section at your Makro and go look if people returning these bikes. 

At our local Makro the return point in store is also the temporary storage for return goods. Besides Defy appliances there's always a lot of Raleigh bikes .   

As always, remember to keep your slip :ph34r:

7 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Bafang are not bad motors.

well i don't have personal experience but they are specced on a lot of brand name bikes who have done their homework.

Hi. We bought this bike for a family member and can confirm that it will be too small for your quoted length. The bike actually comes with a very cheap 7sp rear derailleur and not the 8sp quoted on the international site. The quality of the frame, motor and battery assembly cannot really be faulted but the tires are cheap cst ones and there are no real upgrades for 24" tyres. Rather get a normal 29" bike that will fit you properly.

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Bafang are not bad motors.

be careful not to look only at a name

Shimano makes good components ..... but the low end of their range (typically found on Macro / Game specials)  is maar k@#$k 🙃

On 12/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, M.S. - new to cycling said:

Hi. I am interested in starting to ride. Particularly for daily campus commute in the city and it would be nice to use the same bike for leisure otherwise (not too hard trails etc). I've seen the Raleigh Volt 24" e bike on sale and yet I've seen people saying not to buy raleighs or bikes from makro/game on this website? 

I used to ride when I was a kid (had one of those BMX bikes with reverse brakes for many years...a raleigh which held up well). Since then it's only been hiring bikes on holiday once in a while. I am not fit at all but I am young and do quite a bit of walking. 

I am about 60kg and 175-180cm tall (and wear size 11s...dk if that affects bike riding). Not fit at all (7 minutes of indoor football has me finished). It's a major reason I'd prefer an e bike.

Campus is about 5km away...it's a 40 min walk and a 10-15 min drive. It is near the city centre so regardless of the bike safety is an issue. I'm also an unemployed student. Both these reasons have me wanting a bike that is cheaper. Also I might be carrying heavy textbooks in a backpack/on a rack at the back so weight might increase even above 80kg. 

I wanted to know if the Raleigh Volt 24" e bike is a worthwhile buy. Both for my size/weight and long term use. Daily commute plus occasional trails. There's another Raleigh e bike called the Glide (29")  that's usually cheaper but rn the Volt 24" is on sale.

Anyone used Raleigh e bikes? (these 2 and Volt 29" as they seem to be of similiar build and are the only ones available in SA...there's much nicer ones overseas) . I've seen people talking quite negatively about them on this forum but I don't think they've even used them.

If anyone has ridden them or knows of someone who has please tell me if I will be wasting my money or is it a worthwhile investment. I'd love for it to last me years but honestly I'd be content if it holds up perfectly for over a year of daily use. I'd also need it to be comfortable enough especially with added textbook weight and not give me any problems to fix. 

Please assist.Screenshot_20221207-073332_Chrome.jpg.405960fddd6e9fe9072a4c04dc4d37d8.jpgScreenshot_20221220_115447_Chrome.jpg.870255b2ea378d59b790cd2532e1dbfa.jpg

Update: The Volt 1.0 29" was advertised online for R13k but in store its priced at R8k. This solves the sizing problem for one. Unsure if specs are same as the 24" 20221223_161250.jpg.eb73b5f6265301e20f4c093fa583a146.jpg20221223_161851.jpg.88cfd37cd3eb00f0b393184e4a60697d.jpg

Firstly...This is a kids bike. Don't buy it. 

Secondly, you are a young student, you don't need an eBike. Get a real bike and pedal to varsity. It's only 5kms. Even the most unfittest of people can cycle 5kms. Your fitness levels will improve quickly and you'll be happier for it. 

R5k will buy you a much better quality normal bike than an eBike.