Carbon Wheel options Mtb

figjam_sa

So I'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset on my Mtb to Carbon. Mostly do XCM and some trails, nothing too technical.

Looking at Lyne Pulse, but if the Hub rather recommends CSIXX, I am willing to save up for their XCM wheelset. 

I like that the CSIXX have a lifetime warranty.. I think the Pulse have 5 year warranty?

I can get Zero Two as well and they have a good warranty, but a friend have now had troubles on 2 occassions in races with them. They were replaced and repaired... but still..

What say you?

Edited by figjam_sa

I’ve got zero2 wheels and they’ve been great. I broke a rear thanks to riding through a rock garden at full pace with a tyre that had dropped pressure. They’re pretty light so the Trail version is probably the rim option to go for if you’re the finesse it type of rider. 
Csixx rims and Lyne components rims appear to be very similar to zero2. Could be the same manufacturer.

south industries would be my go too option.

from pure value for money the lyne or Zero2 will serve you well

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I’ve got zero2 wheels and they’ve been great. I broke a rear thanks to riding through a rock garden at full pace with a tyre that had dropped pressure. They’re pretty light so the Trail version is probably the rim option to go for if you’re the finesse it type of rider. 
Csixx rims and Lyne components rims appear to be very similar to zero2. Could be the same manufacturer.

south industries would be my go too option.

from pure value for money the lyne or Zero2 will serve you well

Thanks, who sells South Industries? Pricing?

1 hour ago, warick_wrx said:

If I had the choice I would build a set of Nextie Rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs or Aviee light weight Hubs. Doubt any local rims will be able to compete. 

Sounds great, but pricing? And who stocks them? 

I would go with south industries. They local, and offer a lifetime replacement warranty.

I have a set, cant compare them to another set of carbon wheels though, but they are strong enough.

1 hour ago, figjam_sa said:

Thanks, who sells South Industries? Pricing?

Most bike shops will be able to get them. I’d go with Williams bike shop in Somerset west for the rims and build

15 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

Cool, but I dont see any further specs? Are they more on the enduro side of the spectrum?

Yes, they are.  Nice and wide internal diameter.  I've used them for XC, Joberg2C, trail riding and they work great.  I have been to their business premises in Cape Town and they are legit. They even rebuilt a wheel for me at a great price, when i purchased a new fork.  

See specs below. 

image.png.a83eeebae9e1284f6f4ee2042fd16159.png

Checking some of the prices I could find so far. A set of South Industry wheels would set me back double the price of Lyne and almost 50% more than the Csixx..

Does nobody here ride any of these two brands or are there issues that I am unaware of? Feel free to dm me if you have some info or recommendations

Thanks for the input so far

Edited by figjam_sa