[Event] The Grind - 150km of Gravel Heaven or Hell?

Martin Olckers

Hi guys. 

I entered The Grind 150km MTB race going as a solo rider 150 that is taking place in Feb at the Crade of Humankind krugersdorp. Not much reviews about the race. Has anybody done it before?

TIA 

Edited by Martin Olckers
More detail added

Yes also think its a new event and look more like a gravel race than MTB.  Will be doing it also with my MTB.

Event Name: The Grind - 150km of Gravel Heaven or Hell?
When: 04/02/2023
Where: , Krugersdorp, Gauteng
Category: Gravel

Looking for a challenge? Try “The Grind”. 150km of gravel starting from Maropeng, in the Cradle of Humankind, on an out-and-back route. Something new from The Leverage Corporation. We have seen many offerings for this kind of race, but this will be done in True Leverage Corporation Style. Nice and slick, nice and classy, and an event to remember for all the right reasons.

(Special Note - this event is suited to MTB and gravel)

You will ride from Maropeng, into the Magalies region and then encounter areas that are little known to the average cyclist. Areas that are largely unexplored and that you probably have never heard of, such as Maanhaarrand, Vlakfontein, Koesterfontein, and a few more will be explored.

Can you do it in 12 hours or less? Well, that’s up to you.

We have tried to keep it reasonably flat, but there’s still just over 1700m of climbing.

On the route, we will have 5 checkpoints, and these will double as change-over points, well-stocked water tables, and rest stations.

The good news is that you can choose to do it as a solo rider, or you can get a team of two, or a team of four together and share the 150km load.

• Solo riders will do 150km
  • Teams of 2 will do 90km each
  • Teams of 4 will do 60km each

WHAT’S ON OFFER:

Solo Ride Category – ride the full 150km on your “ace”

Team of 2 Category

Team of 4 Category

COSTS:

Solo Rider – R450

Team of 2 – R800

Team of 4 – R1600

WHAT’S INCLUDED

• Race entry – solo or team of 2 or 4
  • Moisture management event shirt
  • Medical Support
  • Well-stocked water tables
  • Race timing
  • Post-race hospitality area
  • Prizes and lucky draw prizes
  • Shower facilities
  • Race medal
  • Complimentary photographs for you to download from our Facebook page after the event

Go to Event Page.

From the FAQ:  

Note that you will need a support driver as all riders have to complete Stage 1 and Stage 6. So if you are a solo rider, you will need a support driver. 

Just confirming that even solo riders require a support driver?   (And that it is not a typo, eg, with a missing 'not' :)

Thanks 

Edited by Pieter-za

2 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

From the FAQ:  

Just confirming that even solo riders require a support driver?   (And that it is not a typo, eg, with a missing 'not' :)

Thanks 

I suggest that you email the organizer direct with your query.

rob@leveragecorporation.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Have entered, anybody have any idea whether number collection is available on the day.?

I see on the site registration is Wednesday from 13:00-18:00 in Bryanston, however not feasible for myself to attend.

Thanx 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:42 AM, MysticBlack said:

Hi All

Have entered, anybody have any idea whether number collection is available on the day.?

I see on the site registration is Wednesday from 13:00-18:00 in Bryanston, however not feasible for myself to attend.

Thanx 

Jip. Just give them a call let them know. Getting mine on race day

22 hours ago, W@nted said:

I slept late on this one. Any late/line entries available?

My mate pulled out, have an entry, just not sure if they can transfer to your name.

Oops I forgot I entered....REALLY!! GULP. 😐

Ah well - not fit enough anyway. I have two entries - will even give away. Not sure if that is possible.