Mountain Bike Pedals for Cleats

Bundu Ric

I have decided that it is probably time to give cleats a go after riding flat pedals on my MTB for a while now. 

Most of my riding is Northern Farm, Red Barn and Cowhouse to give you an idea of what I ride. 

So, what pedals and cleats do I need to look at and why?

SPD's. There are various pedal options available to you based on what your budget can afford. Or, Crank Brothers for egg beaters, with the same various options depending on your budget

SPD's are the most common and popular by far. 

Both OEM's manufacture flat's with spd's or egg beaters inside them, maybe you want to look at that option if you ride flats most of the time. 

They're all bullet proof enough, and as they get more expensive, so do their ease of servicing increase and the weight is reduced. The cheapies you can just toss if they run a bearing. 

Edited by 117

I have some Shimano SPD and Look Quarts pedals spare if you would like to try them out for free before buying ... 

PM me if interested.  Where in Gauteng are you?

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Shimano Saints are also good... 

Happen to have a set of the latest ones. 

Heavy but so good. Too bad about I can’t get my feet to like being clipped in. 

If you're transitioning from flats, and want something more confidence inspiring, try looking for a pair of M530, ED500 or the ME700 or similar. 

VP, Look and Crankbrothers all make their own versions. 

Something with a platform so if you miss a clip in, or if you use your bike for shop runs in flats, it makes a huge difference. 

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Too bad about I can’t get my feet to like being clipped in. 

This is my concern as well, so hence want to try and see before I go all out. 

9 hours ago, Bundu Ric said:

This is my concern as well, so hence want to try and see before I go all out. 

Where are you based?

Don't over think it. 

If you were racing to win the xco world champs and miss a clip in, then I'd say sure, over think it. 

The idea of flats with clipless inside is that you are able to un-clip and use the flats for the down runs and position your feet as you want them, then re-clip when you get to the bottom. They're not there for a miss fire of the left foot or brain 

36 minutes ago, 117 said:

Don't over think it. 

If you were racing to win the xco world champs and miss a clip in, then I'd say sure, over think it. 

The idea of flats with clipless inside is that you are able to un-clip and use the flats for the down runs and position your feet as you want them, then re-clip when you get to the bottom. They're not there for a miss fire of the left foot or brain 

Thanks, this makes sense. 

Flats with clipless it is then! :)