Convert 3X to 1X gearing on MTB?

DodgeB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, I made many mistakes but if I were you, do research and preferably buy you'd set together not sperate parts

I have 1x10 and 1x11 bikes (both all shimano), can't say I notice much difference. For MTB 32 chainring in the front is fine combined with 11 smallest at the back, you won't spin this out on a dirt road, also smaller chainring makes the gears closer together. The older 10 speed shimano derailleurs will work with large cogs at the back if you use a derailleur extender. I use an old XT derailleur with derailleur extender on with my 1x10 and it is flawless. The 10 speed cassettes seem to be more available than 11 speed, also cheaper. I would recommend 46-11 or 42-11 in the ten speed depending on how strong you are. Also stick with Shimano (my opinion), the clutch derailleur is a great invention for mud. 10 speed shimano derailleur will also work with 11 speed shifter / 11 speed cassette and vice versus (11 speed derailleur with 10 speed shifter / 10 speed cassette) , so keep this in mind for future upgrades. I don't like oval chainrings, I have one on the 1x11 speed and the round chainring is better. Also 11 speed SRAM ratios are nearly identical to 11 speed shimano (so you can mix and match here). I would say the two most important things about 1x is that the easiest gear should be suitable for you (i.e. easy enough) and use a clutch derailleur.

15 hours ago, 117 said:

You want a rear mechanism with a long cage, this allows you to get to the 51t granny gear cassettes if you want to, but most cassettes go to the 46t which is fine for a long cage

Scratch around on the hub classifieds for a Shimano XT 11speed derailleur - best in class and bullet proof (read as idiot proof). 

I have a new, unused XT 11 speed derailleur and shifter if you are interested. I bought an upgrade kit some time ago and decided to stick with SS.

DM me.

Ps. I also have a well used matching drivetrain (34 chainring, cassette and chain) I'll throw in for the cost of the shipping 

20 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I'd personally go for 1x11. Still great range and performs better than most 12spd setups. 
(Personal opinion and experience. Put away the torches)

Could you please expand on how you got to that?

I would love to hear why you say or what experience you had that made you decicde this

My guess: 11 speed has more space than a 12 speed to do the shifting between gearing. Sure, in that vein then 10 and by default the 9 speed would have more spacing too making it easier. But you dont get the best gear ratio's on a 1x9 or 1x10, so 11 is the magical number for the best ratios and shift settings

With the advent of electronic shifting in the 12 speed market, the goal posts are moved. And no, its got nothing to do with a boost frame giving you more space on the rear triangle

23 minutes ago, 117 said:

My guess: 11 speed has more space than a 12 speed to do the shifting between gearing. Sure, in that vein then 10 and by default the 9 speed would have more spacing too making it easier. But you dont get the best gear ratio's on a 1x9 or 1x10, so 11 is the magical number for the best ratios and shift settings

With the advent of electronic shifting in the 12 speed market, the goal posts are moved. And no, its got nothing to do with a boost frame giving you more space on the rear triangle

Agree, electronic shifting does make a huge difference to have nice smooth shifting on 12sp.

1 hour ago, Quagga said:

Could you please expand on how you got to that?

I would love to hear why you say or what experience you had that made you decicde this

My first experience with 1x12 SRAM GX was a conversion done by a bike shop.  Worked perfect for about 1 000km ... they never got it set properly again !  It would always by "off" on 2 or 3 gears ... barrel adjustments just moved the issue up and down the cassette.

Took the bike to a different bike shop .... they also could not get it sorted properly. 

I then sold the Trek and bought a Scott Spark, factory fitted with the 1x12 SRAM GX ... exact same experience ....

Two of my riding buddies are now going through the same experience, one with a GX the other with a NX setup.  Different brands, different bike shops ... same issues.

We currently have 4 bikes running 1x11 setups.  the only issue I have had was trying to re-use an outer cable, causing some cable tension issues.  Did the internal routing for the new outer cable, and the system runs perfectly.

SURE, the electronic 1x12 systems probably work perfectly .... but this is a totally different price bracket.  AND, not applicable to the OP's question of a reasonable price conversion from 3x to 1x.

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My first experience with 1x12 SRAM GX was a conversion done by a bike shop.  Worked perfect for about 1 000km ... they never got it set properly again !  It would always by "off" on 2 or 3 gears ... barrel adjustments just moved the issue up and down the cassette.

Took the bike to a different bike shop .... they also could not get it sorted properly. 

I then sold the Trek and bought a Scott Spark, factory fitted with the 1x12 SRAM GX ... exact same experience ....

Two of my riding buddies are now going through the same experience, one with a GX the other with a NX setup.  Different brands, different bike shops ... same issues.

We currently have 4 bikes running 1x11 setups.  the only issue I have had was trying to re-use an outer cable, causing some cable tension issues.  Did the internal routing for the new outer cable, and the system runs perfectly.

SURE, the electronic 1x12 systems probably work perfectly .... but this is a totally different price bracket.  AND, not applicable to the OP's question of a reasonable price conversion from 3x to 1x.

Did you ever try Shimano 12sp.  On my rigid fork hardtail I have manual Shimano 12sp.  No issues what so ever.  Shifting is just as good as the electronic shifting on my full sus bike.

The cost of a 12sp axs system is quickly made up in the cost of servicing a manual system. You should try it sometime 😉

But yes, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, a 1x11 is the bullet proof way to go on a budget. 

And I think we're all missing something here - the beloved crank. What is the BCD for a 3x system? Can you fit a 1x chainring on it? Or do you need to change it?

2 minutes ago, 117 said:

And I think we're all missing something here - the beloved crank. What is the BCD for a 3x system? Can you fit a 1x chainring on it? Or do you need to change it?

Yep. Mine is 104 BCD so I think I'm good.

image.png.c373a7555607044760182710794f7353.png

What I'm more curious about is whether some sort of spacer is needed upfront? Seeing as the crank normally has three rings to share the load, would a 1x not be somewhat off-centre?

Although I admit bias to Shimano, my wife's bike has SRAM NX 1x12, the cable is old too (about a year). It surprises me how well it works still. No issues with gear changes.

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

What I'm more curious about is whether some sort of spacer is needed upfront? Seeing as the crank normally has three rings to share the load, would a 1x not be somewhat off-centre?

I found the "center ring" of the 3x worked well for me.  On a 2x, use the inner side of the big cog to mount.  It will however all depend on your specific setup.  Fit it these positions (probably the 104 BCD) and check the chain line.

If the chain line is too far out, you might need spacers of some sort, but first check as is.

Edited by TheoG

Just now, Martin PJ said:

Although I admit bias to Shimano, my wife's bike has SRAM NX 1x12, the cable is old too (about a year). It surprises me how well it works still. No issues with gear changes.

I ride mine hard and it holds up well. It was fitted back in March 2019 and has been faultless since then.