[Event] Witfontein Enduro 2023

Christofison

2 minutes ago, Jako De Wet said:

Anything to watch out for, or just point and shoot?

Lets wait and see once the stages are out, but actually it's not... atleast in my opinion. There's nothing like it in Cape Town so...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jako De Wet if you can stage 3 4 and 6... would be nice to go check out...

the rest is "okay" doing blind

... this again in my unskillful opinion! the rest are still hard make no mistake just less hard and you don't have as a big sigh of relief once you've made it through unharmed!! 🤐

On 7/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, Sprockets said:

Damn, I thought I had put a password on this...oops.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, here's what's to expect:
Stage 1 was not in the race last year. This is the longest with the most peddling.
Stage 4 will be a little bit shorter (omit Chigger trail at the bottom)
Stage 5 will be a bit longer than (new start all the way up at the railway tracks)
Stage 2,3 & 6 are the same as last year.

Total distance is 6km further, with 250m more climbing.

As @Meezo correctly established, Lite category will be stages 1, 2 & 5.

Course previews via Bike Network, once all the wind damage has been cleared, for the third time this year.

CANCELLED

I'm sad to inform you that the race is cancelled. After 3 months of fighting, Forestry has finally made it clear that I won't get a permit this year. I can't risk the liability of not having CSA sanctioning and the insurance that comes with it. I will hopefully be able to get a permit to move the race nice and early next year.

Edited by Christofison

Bummer was pretty keen for it this year. While i'm heading that way anyway, I might just do a few runs there seeing as I'll be in Mossels for the week. Can't let the opportunity go by to not ride there, trail there are just to good. Nothing like that in Plat Elizabeth.

20 minutes ago, Louw S said:

Bummer was pretty keen for it this year. While i'm heading that way anyway, I might just do a few runs there seeing as I'll be in Mossels for the week. Can't let the opportunity go by to not ride there, trail there are just to good. Nothing like that in Plat Elizabeth.

I was thinking the same. I was really looking forward to this and bummed it's cancelled, but maybe we can get a few guys that were planning on going and just have a fun Sunday morning ride?

Im always keen to meet up with a few guys and train down some trails on Sunday AM. 

Has to Suck if you booked and paid for accommodation. 

But i guess nothing is stopping anyone from having an informal/ untimed group ride and just enjoy the vibes. Thats what it’s about anyway right? 

To be honest, i think thats where these are heading anyway. This ‘class’ of riding/ event just doesn't seem to want to get going,  which is unfortunate. Also, you can only have so many Jonkershoek days before that becomes boring too.

thanks for trying though @Christofison

Edited by MORNE

major bummer...

had just plotted the time off work and booked accommodation.

Thank you @Christofison for putting in such effort and fighting the good fight. guys like you keep SA enduro racing alive. I have thoroughly enjoyed the past events, they have become an annual highlight for me.

unfortunate, but major gratitude for what you do! 

Interesting side note to this is the overall economic hit that is created. From people having paid for accommodation, possibly flights, restaurants not being visited, fuel not being bought, expenses incurred that can't be recovered. This must be a tough pill to swallow. I was also planning to head that way to the family and spend the day riding the light - I don't have the legs nor lungs this year for the full judging by my effort during the last round at Jonkers.

Thanks @Christofison for taking the time and stress to keep this event on the calendar. I will definitely be there next year.

Alright, it's official...THE RACE IS BACK ON!
I sincerely apologize for the back & forth. The land use permit is now in-hand.

Find the entry link via https://wcenduro.co.za/

Full Race - 6 Stages (32km & 1200m climbing)
Lite Race - 3 Stages (23km & 750m climbing)
I'll share Trailforks routes when the course previews are ready, in a week or so.