Road Seeding for non-WC races

'Kaze Pete

Not looking for training advise. I just have a few road seeding questions.

I've been out of the cycling thing after 2 unfortunate "not keeping the rubber side down" events (external parties induced), family stuff and moving from Joburg, discovering gravel-grinding/dirt-roadie stuff (okay the others riding with me think of what they are doing as a MTBing! - different debate though).

I'm tempted to do the 94.7 (Ride Joburg) again this year after being away from roadie stuff for a half a decade. Riding with, around or at the same time with the back bunches terrifies me - my last (bad) experience was doing a second lap with a RR rider - the rider was great, but it felt like the others on the road had no idea of cycling safety!

So, in general, but specific to the above race:

1. Is there still a single seeding ladder as used to be with Racetec races?
  2. Can I just go do any Racetec timed road event (90kmm+) to improve my seeding?
  3. Is Racetec still a thing?
  4. Any events recommended to use to accelerate moving up a/the seeding ladder?

PS: my seeding was OK in yonder years; sub 20, good enough to have landed up in Vets for the 94.7

Dare I ask the "weekend warrior" @Cyclewizz? (if he is even still around) for any advise?
Anybody else welcome to chip in!

Racetec no longer times 94.7 and last year the seeding at the 94.7 was like they drew your name out of a lucky packet.

I applied for a re-seeding last year and they did nothing, however some of my friends were re-seeded.

Racetec isn't has big as when when you were racing, some races have adapted the same system that 94.7 uses (a card that goes on your seat post like a racing number)

Your best bet would probably be to do those races at the beginning of Spring (like Race 4 Victory) and submit that result to get re-seeded at 94.7.

I think Emperor's is still coming up, that would also probably help.

94.7 have always done their own seeding but now since the new organizers took over it's a bit more of a lucky packet.

x

3 minutes ago, Cyclewizz said:

Racetec no longer times 94.7 and last year the seeding at the 94.7 was like they drew your name out of a lucky packet.

I applied for a re-seeding last year and they did nothing, however some of my friends were re-seeded.

Racetec isn't has big as when when you were racing, some races have adapted the same system that 94.7 uses (a card that goes on your seat post like a racing number)

Your best bet would probably be to do those races at the beginning of Spring (like Race 4 Victory) and submit that result to get re-seeded at 94.7.

I think Emperor's is still coming up, that would also probably help.

94.7 have always done their own seeding but now since the new organizers took over it's a bit more of a lucky packet.

Oh no, where do I put my saddle bag?

3 minutes ago, 'Kaze Pete said:

x

Oh no, where do I put my saddle bag?

Stays in the same place where it normally is.
You'll have to buy a mount and an electronic card (timing chip) then use cable ties to make it nice and tight onto the seat post.

3 minutes ago, 'Kaze Pete said:

Does Emperors still have that mad sprint towards a 90 degree bend at the start?

Can't even remember when last I did the Emperor's race.

The one year there was lost of crazy stuff happening in some of the intersections so I decided to skip it after that and haven't been back. Also had some friends that crashed there so now I just stay away completely from that race.

But just remember that I'm soft so rather ask somebody else's opinion 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Here at the seeding events for 947.

D28DA392-9AA3-4B70-8B28-B76515A6A850.png.ff4491cb5bed5719409fda9b3be8018d.png

Most if not all are Racetec timed events? Do you think they dropped the current timing company and moved back to Racetec? Would not be entirely surprised given the timing and seeding shambles of 2022

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Most if not all are Racetec timed events? Do you think they dropped the current timing company and moved back to Racetec? Would not be entirely surprised given the timing and seeding shambles of 2022

And nice to see the Knysna Road event is back on...

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

They are still using the same timing system, but have asked for, and are sharing, results from the listed events. I’ve shared “our” event’s results with them, and we’ll use theirs for “our” event.

15 hours ago, Skubarra said:

It is? 

🤨

16 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Listed under road events that are official seeding events for the 94.7 🤔

Unless they just picked random events from old racetec results 🤣

Edited by Skubarra