Building & maintaining fitness with regular travel?

I started riding seriously around 10 years ago. I had a rep job so could train and race regularly, and while nowhere even close to fast, I could ride far and lost a good bit of weight doing so. 

a few years back my job changed and I travelled a lot. Covid happened, and a new job means even more travel - I spend about half the month away from home, all in different locations around SA and the SADC region. 

I’ve lost my fitness and gained a lot of weight. Currently over 20kgs heavier than I should be, and while i can jump on the bike and ride a good 50-60kms without completely dying, I’m not finding any chance to build fitness or lose those kgs. 

a health scare with a bad cholesterol reading has made me take things seriously - I’ve changed my diet as best as I can, and got back on the bike when home. But my struggle is - what to do when I travel? I don’t have consistency in gyms, and travelling with a bike is next to impossible with the work I do. 

anyone out there have some ideas and advice to build and maintain some form of fitness going forward? I will be attempting to keep travel trips to Tuesdays - Thursdays in the week, but not sure if inactivity during those days will massively hinder my progress. Any help is appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

I started riding seriously around 10 years ago. I had a rep job so could train and race regularly, and while nowhere even close to fast, I could ride far and lost a good bit of weight doing so. 

a few years back my job changed and I travelled a lot. Covid happened, and a new job means even more travel - I spend about half the month away from home, all in different locations around SA and the SADC region. 

I’ve lost my fitness and gained a lot of weight. Currently over 20kgs heavier than I should be, and while i can jump on the bike and ride a good 50-60kms without completely dying, I’m not finding any chance to build fitness or lose those kgs. 

a health scare with a bad cholesterol reading has made me take things seriously - I’ve changed my diet as best as I can, and got back on the bike when home. But my struggle is - what to do when I travel? I don’t have consistency in gyms, and travelling with a bike is next to impossible with the work I do. 

anyone out there have some ideas and advice to build and maintain some form of fitness going forward? I will be attempting to keep travel trips to Tuesdays - Thursdays in the week, but not sure if inactivity during those days will massively hinder my progress. Any help is appreciated!

Eat correctly and start waliking / jogging

jogging is relatively simple and can be done anywhere

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/running-basics.html

43 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

“If information was the answer, we’d all be millionaires with six packs”

have you read or heard about the book called the 4hr body by Tim Ferris? It’s the highest signal book I’ve ever read, and as long as you ignore all the advice you get from friends/dr’s/YouTubers clearly on steroids, and just follow the advice in this book, you will succeed.

It changed my life! 130kgs at the start, now fit and stable at 83kgs.

Used to do a lot of Africa travel, wasn't allowed to leave the hotel after being dropped off from the office. 

Used to do burpees, squats and some other stuff type protocol , came from a Green Beret when they used to get stuck on a ops base. 

Got the job done, I'll try find it somewhere. 

I've traveled extensively in SA and in Africa for work. Nigeria, Zim, Malawi, Ghana. My most recent trip was to Ghana for a month straight. Horrible. I've taken the following approach with various levels of success over the years.

I would attack this from 2 angles. What you put into your mouth and the fitness aspect.

Eating

While it's not always possible, try to stay in a self catering accommodation so that you can provide your own meals. If you can set it up that you are shopping at a spar or whatever and cooking your own meals that will make a big difference

If you do have to stay in a hotel employ intermittent fasting. Those big bacony breakfasts are terrible for your waistline and even worse for your cholesterol.

One of my colleagues takes her own breakfast cereal and has that in her room so she's not tempted.

Fitness 

Simple.

I'm assuming you have a smart watch. Go to a running store and get yourself a good pair of running shoes. Spend more than 2k. You can run anywhere and your running will ensure that you don't lose your cardiovascular fitness.

If you are staying in a hotel in Africa insist that the hotel has a treadmill. Most of them do. If not map out a route that you can run 5km. Cover the distance. The speed does not matter. Do that 3-4 times a week and you'll be golden.

If you are doing repeat trips to the same location try to stay in the same hotel (that has a treadmill) every time. The familiarity will make it easier to head to the hotel gym. Take your laptop/tablet down there, watch some vids and zone out on the treadmill. You'll be in a better mood and sleep better too.

From personal experience. Make sure the treadmill actually exists and that the pics of the gym aren't from 2007 when the hotel opened and now it's just a dark musty room with some weights and a gym mat.

Things to AVOID

The hotel bar

Boozy lunches

Bacon

3 massive meals a day simply because you are bored.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

A pilot I know, who is also a very accomplished cyclist runs the stairs of the hotel he is staying in to keep/build fitness. Definitely works for him.

Ya as above - running is the answer. It will help your cycling and shoes, shorts and a shirt are easy to add in to your luggage. You also need less time. 35mins-1 hour a day will get you plenty fit.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I've traveled extensively in SA and in Africa for work. Nigeria, Zim, Malawi, Ghana. My most recent trip was to Ghana for a month straight. Horrible. I've taken the following approach with various levels of success over the years.

I would attack this from 2 angles. What you put into your mouth and the fitness aspect.

Eating

While it's not always possible, try to stay in a self catering accommodation so that you can provide your own meals. If you can set it up that you are shopping at a spar or whatever and cooking your own meals that will make a big difference

If you do have to stay in a hotel employ intermittent fasting. Those big bacony breakfasts are terrible for your waistline and even worse for your cholesterol.

One of my colleagues takes her own breakfast cereal and has that in her room so she's not tempted.

Fitness 

Simple.

I'm assuming you have a smart watch. Go to a running store and get yourself a good pair of running shoes. Spend more than 2k. You can run anywhere and your running will ensure that you don't lose your cardiovascular fitness.

If you are staying in a hotel in Africa insist that the hotel has a treadmill. Most of them do. If not map out a route that you can run 5km. Cover the distance. The speed does not matter. Do that 3-4 times a week and you'll be golden.

If you are doing repeat trips to the same location try to stay in the same hotel (that has a treadmill) every time. The familiarity will make it easier to head to the hotel gym. Take your laptop/tablet down there, watch some vids and zone out on the treadmill. You'll be in a better mood and sleep better too.

From personal experience. Make sure the treadmill actually exists and that the pics of the gym aren't from 2007 when the hotel opened and now it's just a dark musty room with some weights and a gym mat.

Things to AVOID

The hotel bar

Boozy lunches

Bacon

This is great advice.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Eating

Fitness 

Simple.

Things to AVOID

The hotel bar

Boozy lunches

Bacon

Seconded, this is really good advice. My two cents from having done this a lot over the years:

• Running and hotel gyms are your best friends
  • There are lots of examples of hotel room and hotel gym workouts out there - use them for inspiration if you don't feel like running every day
  • Remaining disciplined about doing something (walk, run, gym etc) every day is vital, especially when you're tempted to overeat / drink etc
  • Find a goal to motivate yourself (like a race to prepare for) and if you're tempted to have a huge dinner or drink too much, ask yourself "does doing this get me closer or further from my goal?"  
  • Intermittent fasting helps, especially if you're in a hotel and can't cook for yourself and have to rely on room service / takeout