Gravel & Grape 2023

Bub Marley

Anyone perhaps have the route for this event? Website is offline.

Seems like it’s now a 1 day event only. 

Im going to be in Worcester that weekend so thought i might as well give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Please post a ride report :thumbup:

Holding thumbs the weather plays nicely ....

the route will be good....the base is in Slanghoek...the trails there are technical but very rewarding..

enjoy all...

the food and drink...hospitality are excellent around the Rawsonville...enjoy the event 

Wow. What an amazing route. Way more technical than what I was expecting. Super rocky, rough terrain throughout and some seriously technical singletrack especially on a hard tail. That climb at the end with tired legs was so challenging. 

Was a great event. Well organised and route was marked quite well. My distance said 49km so a bit more than the 45 advertised  

IMG_4059.jpeg

Absolutely worth it. The 45km had a lekker warm up section where people could find their pace and place before starting the climb to the single track - and it was excellent. Quite a few people got to behold the amazing agility flat pedals gives you 🙃 the entire route was ridable. No complaints about the terrain, it was exactly as expected and not too demanding on my hardtail. Also clocked just under 49km. 

IMG_20230506_075205_stitch.jpg.fa17524b024792867a7f76a2b7ba6cfc.jpg

IMG_20230506_075227_stitch.jpg.4ee5232b21f0bfba6e93c68802d0ac4b.jpg

IMG_20230506_083223.jpg.ee01dc4aa35e23188fe773d919c94a29.jpg

IMG_20230506_0859102.jpg.fc7d029e7428e449439526006a431b1b.jpg

Edited by Rouxenator

My experience of this event was some what different.

To start the renta-toilets were not flushing when I got there.  In my opinion there were to little toilets as queues got long before the race.  The first part (15km) of the race was great, but got confusing later on. The colour boards for the long race changed mid race and some people missed some of the route markers even before then. 

10km into the race at a dam, I saw a racing snake coming from the opposite direction indicating that he missed the route markers, which our group would have missed to.  Post race I heard of 2 other youngsters also missed boards and took off in the wrong direction a long way off.  I also missed a sign but a few hundred meters I linked up with the trail again.  

Half way in the race, the long and short route shared the same jeep track. Generally thats okay, but not when the short route ascends up a jeep track and the long route descends that same track at pace.  That was a bit dodgy. 

It was very rocky and technical. Respect to the guys on hard tails though. I saw at least 4 mechanical retirements.  I also have to replace peddles as a rock smack my left peddle.

Will I race it again, ... not likely.