Holdfast Bike Carrier - how to secure against bike theft?

Ant in the NL

Hey there, what's the best way to secure this bike carrier to a Hyundai i20 hatchback to prevent theft thereof, as well as the bikes it might be carrying? Mate was nearly robbed of his bike while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the main road running passed Dunoon this AM.

Much appreciated 👍🏼

Screenshot_20230510-212838_Chrome.jpg

Big bright visible cable lock.

BUT, it is just a deterent.

Too easy to cut the straps and remove the bike and frame .... though they cant ride it with a lock through the wheels and frame.

1. Cable lock 

2. Insurance

Best solution ... keep the bike in the vehicle

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Big bright visible cable lock.

BUT, it is just a deterent.

Too easy to cut the straps and remove the bike and frame .... though they cant ride it with a lock through the wheels and frame.

1. Cable lock 

2. Insurance

Best solution ... keep the bike in the vehicle

Thanks bud, I have contemplated using heavy duty tiedowns as a deterrent too; the nylon is extremely tough and can't simply be cut with a knife or scissors. 

Agree though, inside the car is the best bet or keeping the vehicle visible while you're not driving is vital. 

Holdfast do sell a 2m heavy plastic coated cable that you can thread through the bike, rack and towing eye/ attach to car.

You could probably make it with some plastic coated cable and cable clamps from local hardware.

hfbj-6225-g290.0.photo.X3VG7AAS55.jpg

I see sportsmans also have a cable for R250. It is 2m x 10mm flexible with vinal coating. This won't stop someone with a big bolt cutter but it should delay them. Also don't use the conventional padlock they  are broken open in 2sec with 2 simple 17mm flat spanners. 

1135328-SILVER-1-18Z.jpg

Thick cable, preferably bright so that the opportunist can see there is a cable, and a proper lock. Preferably a disc lock. (Normal locks are easily broken) You want to deter the opportunist from taking a chance. Most of the bikes stolen from bike racks were never locked down properly. The thule rack locks are a joke.

But even a cable and good lock won't keep a determined thief away, cables can be cut and locks picked. 

Disc lock like so:

23D2599B-CE4D-407D-A15A-FD53DCC48583.jpeg

I used to have one of these "Strapabiketome" carriers and used a laptop security cable attached to the carrier and into the boot. Was only a deterrent for smash and grabs but also made me feel happier leaving my car and bike carrier at the trails.

Edit: Oh and cut up some old inner tubes to put on the contact points of the carrier, your cars paint will thank you 🙂

Edited by Albatross
Additional info

32 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Thick cable, preferably bright so that the opportunist can see there is a cable, and a proper lock. Preferably a disc lock. (Normal locks are easily broken) You want to deter the opportunist from taking a chance. Most of the bikes stolen from bike racks were never locked down properly. The thule rack locks are a joke.

But even a cable and good lock won't keep a determined thief away, cables can be cut and locks picked. 

Disc lock like so:

23D2599B-CE4D-407D-A15A-FD53DCC48583.jpeg

The average opportunist without an 18v grinder should find a 10mm braided cable a bit of a challenge to cut. 

7 hours ago, Barry said:

Holdfast do sell a 2m heavy plastic coated cable that you can thread through the bike, rack and towing eye/ attach to car.

You could probably make it with some plastic coated cable and cable clamps from local hardware.

hfbj-6225-g290.0.photo.X3VG7AAS55.jpg

💯, My mate in question did this MacGyver earlier today.....are you suggesting something similair?

2 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

💯, My mate in question did this MacGyver earlier today.....are you suggesting something similair?

I probably wouldn't run it through the door but find a towing eye on the back or somthing solid to thread the cable through. And use the cable through the rack, bike frame and wheels. 

Just now, Barry said:

I probably wouldn't run it through the door but find a towing eye on the back or somthing solid to thread the cable through. And use the cable through the rack, bike frame and wheels. 

Shot, got it. Tks 👍🏼

6 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Even if he gets everything off the car he still can't get away as the cable is looped through everything and attached to the car

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

Even if he gets everything off the car he still can't get away as the cable is looped through everything and attached to the car

Just off topic. Does your friend use sea water to wash his car🤣 thank my stars i stay in Gauteng.