Holdfast Bike Carrier - how to secure against bike theft?

Ant in the NL

22 minutes ago, Brawler said:

Those "strap ons" freak me out. Put a towbar on. At least you don't have a VW with LED lights 🤭

Probably a good idea on that car. Can't see the straps going over the plastic  boot spoiler been a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Just off topic. Does your friend use sea water to wash his car🤣 thank my stars i stay in Gauteng.

As a Ford owner, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to build quality. That rust is terrible. 

Unpopular opinion:

I lock my bikes to the rack and the towbar using cable locks…but i’ve made the decision that anyone attempting to take it off while im stood at a light has chosen to proceed through life maimed. Im willing to sacrifice my bike and damage the car to teach them a lesson😅

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Just off topic. Does your friend use sea water to wash his car🤣 thank my stars i stay in Gauteng.

Bruuuuuu......😆😆😆....ex Vaalie indeed. Also, he used to own a huge panelshop in the East Rand that handled most major vehicle brands. Go figure 😆, price to pay when having a sea view in Blouberg 

13 hours ago, Barry said:

I see sportsmans also have a cable for R250. It is 2m x 10mm flexible with vinal coating. This won't stop someone with a big bolt cutter but it should delay them. Also don't use the conventional padlock they  are broken open in 2sec with 2 simple 17mm flat spanners. 

1135328-SILVER-1-18Z.jpg

13 hours ago, Barry said:

Holdfast do sell a 2m heavy plastic coated cable that you can thread through the bike, rack and towing eye/ attach to car.

You could probably make it with some plastic coated cable and cable clamps from local hardware.

hfbj-6225-g290.0.photo.X3VG7AAS55.jpg

This cost R80 and cuts easy. I use it to do farm electric fences. And to cut fences when in firefighting. If that cable is 8mm I need 3 tries if 6mm I need 2

16838263486545366285865966953512.jpg

A towbar unit with a normal chain and lock and don't park in dangerous places. I regularly go to shops less than 10min on Saturdays after my ride. I still have my bike. Have a used holdfast I think platform one. 

12 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

This cost R80 and cuts easy. I use it to do farm electric fences. And to cut fences when in firefighting. If that cable is 8mm I need 3 tries if 6mm I need 2

The cable is 10mm braided so i think you might need to upsize size the cutters. Yes if they want somthing and they have the correct tool on the day the opportunist might have a chance. A bolt cutter will be one cut or a portable grinder 2sec just a deterrent and hope they move to an easier target.

Somewhere I have an alarm lock - a cable lock with an alarm (loud I was told) that is triggered if anyone fiddles with it. Never used as I lost it in a heap of other kit. A thought though.

19 hours ago, Theunissa said:

I have a 900mm one that lives in my cars boot and it will cut most things without even trying.

I offer a wheel clamping removal services around the offices where i work.
They only clamped my car once….👀

Edited by MORNE