Ltwoo groupset - gear cables

Ant in the NL

21 hours ago, tubed said:

@droo out of interest, have you had any experience working with either the LTwoo or Sensah components? I see a lot of thorough testing online by independent commentators (ie not incentivised to support the big 3 manufacturers), generally the conclusions are positive. I'd be keen to hear your views, thanks 

Not much, but from what I've seen the Microshift and LTwoo stuff is decent - for the price. Won't hold a candle to Deore, but at half the price it's worth a shot if you're on a budget.

I reckon it'll improve over the next few years though, the current stuff is quite a bit better than the first gen.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:38 AM, droo said:

Not much, but from what I've seen the Microshift and LTwoo stuff is decent - for the price. Won't hold a candle to Deore, but at half the price it's worth a shot if you're on a budget.

I reckon it'll improve over the next few years though, the current stuff is quite a bit better than the first gen.

I have Microshift on one bike and LTwoo

on the other, and both are 1x10. 

The Microshift (B’Twin branding, seems to be Advent) is so cool and the range is just perfect. It’s needed 4 adjustments in 2000km. 

The LTwoo A7 needs constant adjustment. It feels like after every 20km it needs to be adjusted. It gets adjusted by LBS - I’m not trying to do it myself. It’s really irritating. I don’t think the bike has even done 300km and it’s currently in again (5th time). Even when it’s adjusted it’s an ugly range with not much fun between 4 and 7 - bit of a dead spot.  

My kiddo has Microshift Mezzo 1x8 and I must say it performs well. It’s needed one adjustment and she rides every day. 

Big Microshift fan but not so easy to get spares, which is sad. 

6 minutes ago, RobynE said:

The Microshift (B’Twin branding, seems to be Advent) is so cool and the range is just perfect. It’s needed 4 adjustments in 2000km. 

The LTwoo A7 needs constant adjustment. It feels like after every 20km it needs to be adjusted. It gets adjusted by LBS - I’m not trying to do it myself. It’s really irritating. I don’t think the bike has even done 300km and it’s currently in again (5th time). Even when it’s adjusted it’s an ugly range with not much fun between 4 and 7 - bit of a dead spot.  

My kiddo has Microshift Mezzo 1x8 and I must say it performs well. It’s needed one adjustment and she rides every day. 

Wait until you get your new steed

2 hours ago, RobynE said:

Yeah so I tried the "adjusting while on the move" trick today. Which seems to work in certain gears, but then lacks in others. Maybe I'm too aggressive on the adjustments, but will continue to test to find the balance. 

31 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Yeah so I tried the "adjusting while on the move" trick today. Which seems to work in certain gears, but then lacks in others. Maybe I'm too aggressive on the adjustments, but will continue to test to find the balance. 

I did it myself yesterday after reading this thread - fixed it a bit but still clicky. Gave up and took it to LBS.

Maybe I need to ride the bike more. It’s my wife’s bike but I ride it a couple of times a week, so I think it should be good, but it’s never smooth through all the gears unless it’s *just been set. 

18 hours ago, RobynE said:

I did it myself yesterday after reading this thread - fixed it a bit but still clicky. Gave up and took it to LBS.

Maybe I need to ride the bike more. It’s my wife’s bike but I ride it a couple of times a week, so I think it should be good, but it’s never smooth through all the gears unless it’s *just been set. 

Is the derailleur hanger straight?

18 hours ago, AntVanR said:

One click (quarter turn ) at a time while pedaling through the gears. 

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Is the derailleur hanger straight?

Yep, I saw a post earlier on the thread along the lines of the factory standard issue derailleur being "not right" .....any idea what that means? I posted the URL to the factory photo gallery of the bike on the original post I think 

3 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Yep, I saw a post earlier on the thread along the lines of the factory standard issue derailleur being "not right" .....any idea what that means? I posted the URL to the factory photo gallery of the bike on the original post I think 

A bike shop can check, and adjust the derailure hanger in 10 minutes.

They will then fine tune the B-screw, and the gear shifting.

On older bikes a sticky cable can really mess you about .... should not be an issue on your new bike, unless a cable is pinched somewhere ....

1 hour ago, AntVanR said:

The chain is too short on that link. If a chain is too short it wears the rear mech prematurely. The rear mech also drops the chain from time to time 

25 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

The chain is too short on that link. If a chain is too short it wears the rear mech prematurely. The rear mech also drops the chain from time to time 

So would a new chain be a good upgrade?

On 5/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, RobynE said:

Agreed. I have Microshift R8. Shifting is positive and reliable, and components are good quality - at basically the same price as Shimano Tourney (which is terrible in comparison). 2500km and not a single problem. I've been looking for the Advent X groupset with drop shifters,  but availability is a problem. 

• 8 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:35 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

What the actual? Do they actually allow the bike to leave the factory like that? That rear mech :oops:

image.png.75662e61e6a8f128516cbd6f1e487de8.png

@RobertWhitehead - tell me more here buddy....I am now sukkeling with chainslap on the bike (specially in the small gear and when you are pedalling hard and then stop, the chain runs ahead and then returns to its place as if its not under enough tension to keep it in position) - tried with the bike on a stand as well, and the same happens. Maybe also to add, when you start pedalling (from coasting, etc...) it takes a bit of a while/rotation of the pedals before the drivetrain engages it seems. This cant be normal?

On 5/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, RobynE said:

Last I spoke to the guys from Cytek (Merida agents/Titan) they said they have the agency for Microshift. 

On 1/31/2024 at 1:54 PM, AntVanR said:

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts: if the chain is too short and you ride in the granny gear a lot then the springs inside the rear mech becomes "lazy" (for lack of a better word). Once this happens you will have the scenario you're currently faced with, the gears work on some of the cogs and on others they're rubbish, obviously I can't say that this is the case with certainty, I will only be able to confirm if I have the bike :D.

PS: if you need a 12 speed Shimano rear mech I do have some options for cheaper than the LBS 

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts: if the chain is too short and you ride in the granny gear a lot then the springs inside the rear mech becomes "lazy" (for lack of a better word). Once this happens you will have the scenario you're currently faced with, the gears work on some of the cogs and on others they're rubbish, obviously I can't say that this is the case with certainty, I will only be able to confirm if I have the bike :D.

PS: if you need a 12 speed Shimano rear mech I do have some options for cheaper than the LBS 

You have a DM 🤘