Clarens Route

thebob

9 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

Some options are:  (coming from Jhb side)

N3 - Frankfort - Reitz - Bhm - Clarens (The are still a couple of gravel stretches between FF and Reitz, but the rest are in good condition)

N3 - Warden - Bhm - Clarens (More and more potholes on the Warden - Bhm strectch)

Sasolburg - Heilbron - Petrus Steyn - Reitz - Bhm - Clarens  (Quite a nice Sasol garage at Petrus Steyn)

When last you travel this.. For me it's been years. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, thebob said:

Hi All

I'm off to Clarens on Friday for the Amohela Classic. I've always taken the Reitz route, but when we went two years ago the road was under construction. I'd like to know if it has been completed or if travelling further down the N3 is the better bet

Which one are you doing 

7 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Also off to Clarens on Friday for the Amohela. We going through Golden Gate. It is longer by about an hour according to google maps(from Joburg) but we want to see if the dinosaur place has opened up yet and we can't find anything on the internet(which makes us think is hasn't opened up yet).

Going home we were just planning on Bethlehem but will keep an eye on here to see what the road conditions are like.

What time is everyone leaving? We fetching the kids from school early and want to leave around 11h00.

Anyone doing the enduro on Friday? Got an sms about it this morning.

Im leaving early at 8-9. Taking kids out of school. Wanted to do the Enduro. But I dont want to break before I start 

2 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

When last you travel this.. For me it's been years. 

Easter this year.  Going via FF - Bhm, returning via Heilbron

2 minutes ago, Pieter-za said:

Easter this year.  Going via FF - Bhm, returning via Heilbron

There was a time when that area was great to go. Have fam around there 

9 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

N3 to Harrismith, then Kestell. 

Alternatively, you can do the scenic route through Golden Gate past that unpronounceable village with a P (LOL)

Put-a-di-chaba

35 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

Im leaving early at 8-9. Taking kids out of school. Wanted to do the Enduro. But I dont want to break before I start 

We were considering taking them out all together but the twins have a reptile show and they don’t want to miss it. So the oldest we will fetch at 1st break(09h50) and the twins the teacher reckons they will be done by 10h30. 
I have a HT, not sure it is ideal for enduro anyway but otherwise I would have been keen. I’ll probably go check it out for future reference as we are probably doing the amohela again next year. 

19 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

We were considering taking them out all together but the twins have a reptile show and they don’t want to miss it. So the oldest we will fetch at 1st break(09h50) and the twins the teacher reckons they will be done by 10h30. 
I have a HT, not sure it is ideal for enduro anyway but otherwise I would have been keen. I’ll probably go check it out for future reference as we are probably doing the amohela again next year. 

Same. My dual suspension is not 100%:ready. Butbi have done some hardcore stuff on my ht. But haven't ridden from 2019 till beginning of this year. Will Def do next. Year. This is also my first stage. Race. So Friday is planning with coach and lekker time with fam 

11 hours ago, Theunissa said:

I'm chicken doing small one 

I entered big mountain, changed to small mountain, and now I am having serious fomo thoughts because of the EPIC descent on day 2 🤔🤔🤔

There's an epic climb to get to the epic descent on day 2 Chad....

Rewards aint for free. But that descent is a cracker if you can box it out on single track for 11km

15 minutes ago, 117 said:

Rewards aint for free. But that descent is a cracker if you can box it out on single track for 11km

Chad knows that climb well 😆

I am going to go =>Warden, Bethlehem, Clarens same as last year.

Entered big mountain, but I can still barely grip a handlebar after tripping and falling on Sunday so we will see. If I am in tears after day one then the mrs gets to say 'I told you so' and I will go get Xrays.

1 hour ago, 117 said:

I did big mountain in 2021, so the longer climb, I walked a lot of it 🤣🤣 this year sounds a bit "better" being 4km shorter and on a concrete paved path....

Best and shortest route at moment is Jhb, Sasol, Heilbron, Petrus Steyn, Reitz Bhm.

Travelled it last week. Road is great with only a small section between Sasol and Heilbron with rough (repaired potholes) surface