Clarens Route

thebob

Hi All

I'm off to Clarens on Friday for the Amohela Classic. I've always taken the Reitz route, but when we went two years ago the road was under construction. I'd like to know if it has been completed or if travelling further down the N3 is the better bet

Edited by thebob

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

N3 to Harrismith, then Kestell. 

Alternatively, you can do the scenic route through Golden Gate past that unpronounceable village with a P (LOL)

Some options are:  (coming from Jhb side)

N3 - Frankfort - Reitz - Bhm - Clarens (The are still a couple of gravel stretches between FF and Reitz, but the rest are in good condition)

N3 - Warden - Bhm - Clarens (More and more potholes on the Warden - Bhm strectch)

Sasolburg - Heilbron - Petrus Steyn - Reitz - Bhm - Clarens  (Quite a nice Sasol garage at Petrus Steyn)

Edited by Pieter-za

When I went down for the D90 I took Reitz route and still a couple of detours, first one not too bad, next one was I think about 6km and will depend on what car you driving. On the way back I went via Heilbron and Sasolburg. Quiet road no issues, pleasant drive.

Also off to Clarens on Friday for the Amohela. We going through Golden Gate. It is longer by about an hour according to google maps(from Joburg) but we want to see if the dinosaur place has opened up yet and we can't find anything on the internet(which makes us think is hasn't opened up yet).

Going home we were just planning on Bethlehem but will keep an eye on here to see what the road conditions are like.

What time is everyone leaving? We fetching the kids from school early and want to leave around 11h00.

Anyone doing the enduro on Friday? Got an sms about it this morning.

4 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Also off to Clarens on Friday for the Amohela. We going through Golden Gate. It is longer by about an hour according to google maps(from Joburg) but we want to see if the dinosaur place has opened up yet and we can't find anything on the internet(which makes us think is hasn't opened up yet).

Going home we were just planning on Bethlehem but will keep an eye on here to see what the road conditions are like.

What time is everyone leaving? We fetching the kids from school early and want to leave around 11h00.

Anyone doing the enduro on Friday? Got an sms about it this morning.

I would like to do the Enduro on Friday, but not sure if I am going to yet 

2 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I would like to do the Enduro on Friday, but not sure if I am going to yet 

Do you have any idea what it's all about? I have never done one before. 

17 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Do you have any idea what it's all about? I have never done one before. 

As far as the Amohela Enduro thing, it sounds like a short 3km lap, that we will ride 3 times, I am assuming there will be a climb that will not timed, and a descent that will be timed, but I am not 100% sure how they are going to work this one

Just now, Chadvdw67 said:

As far as the Amohela Enduro thing, it sounds like a short 3km lap, that we will ride 3 times, I am assuming there will be a climb that will not timed, and a descent that will be timed, but I am not 100% sure how they are going to work this one

I just went onto the website, for the first time 🫣

Saw this.

ENDURO

Hosted on the Friday afternoon before the main event, this is an optional enduro ride for those keen to warm up their legs. The concept is completely a trial and if it takes off, we will expand into it in 2024.

What is it? : -

This is a 1,8km loop which will need to be completed 4 times as part of the event. Riders will be seeded for this to make sure you don't end up stuck in the course. As a trial concept, we have decided not to make this too technical, but there is still work to be done.

The slowest batches will go first and a single batch will last 30 minutes with fastest batch going off at 16:00.

Why? : -

We obviously have a long term plan, but we need to see interest in these kinds of events first.

Will this count towards my results? : -

No, this is stand alone and considered a warm up to the main event.

Do you have to enter? : -

Riders must be entered into any of the 2 day events to qualify for this, there is no entry fee, you will be sent an sms to opt in or out of the enduro.

Where is it? : -

This is on course, just 1km from town, we will send an exact pin. Vehicles cannot readily get to this part of the course, but there is parking at the gate leading to the trail.

There is nothing there : -

Please do take note that barring a hydration station, there are no other facilities there. The route is spectator friendly, you can literally see the riders for 90% of the course from the Start / Finish.

2 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I just went onto the website, for the first time 🫣

Saw this.

ENDURO

Hosted on the Friday afternoon before the main event, this is an optional enduro ride for those keen to warm up their legs. The concept is completely a trial and if it takes off, we will expand into it in 2024.

What is it? : -

This is a 1,8km loop which will need to be completed 4 times as part of the event. Riders will be seeded for this to make sure you don't end up stuck in the course. As a trial concept, we have decided not to make this too technical, but there is still work to be done.

The slowest batches will go first and a single batch will last 30 minutes with fastest batch going off at 16:00.

Why? : -

We obviously have a long term plan, but we need to see interest in these kinds of events first.

Will this count towards my results? : -

No, this is stand alone and considered a warm up to the main event.

Do you have to enter? : -

Riders must be entered into any of the 2 day events to qualify for this, there is no entry fee, you will be sent an sms to opt in or out of the enduro.

Where is it? : -

This is on course, just 1km from town, we will send an exact pin. Vehicles cannot readily get to this part of the course, but there is parking at the gate leading to the trail.

There is nothing there : -

Please do take note that barring a hydration station, there are no other facilities there. The route is spectator friendly, you can literally see the riders for 90% of the course from the Start / Finish.

This is from the link in the message they sent out this morning 

Screenshot_20230523_113924_Chrome.jpg

30 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

This is from the link in the message they sent out this morning 

Screenshot_20230523_113924_Chrome.jpg

Yeah I won't make it there on time. Only leaving Joburg at 11h00 earliest.

I entered the race way back when, last year some time and we would've traveled through Golden Gate but I just can't bring myself to go and do the event.