'ShimErgo' ... Campag Shimano mix ... experiences?

NotSoBigBen

• 2 months later...

Some updates ... got a 'wider' range cassette so now it has an 11-32, luckily as I had to change the crank (that carbon one is toast) so now has a 53 blade instead of the 50!

The chain does come off on rare occasions and that just irritated me, have 3D printed and fitted this chain guide for peace of mind. 

50x11-21 vs 53x11-32 I'll take it 😎

20230802_170707.jpg

20230802_170717.jpg

• 6 months later...

Right so .... on my weekend long ride I got to thinking.

How about trying that 'SRAMErgo' 10sp hodge podge, I have a derailleur. I also know someone that would surely have an old 11-3x 10sp cassette hanging around.

So I happen to see both my 'dealers' this morning over at my LBS The Workshop in Alberhoughton 

Grumpy did not disappoint of course, provided an 11-34 10sp cassette straight from the dustbin!

Big Wayne from Cape Cycles just casually mentions 'you'll need a hanger extender' ... how these okes know these things. I had one 😎

Anyway to cut a long story shorter, fitted it all and yes it works a bloody treat! I have also swopped that front 53 crank setup with a compact 50 and also a 'cool kid' Pauls Chainkeeper

Gone from a 1x8 53x11-32 (Campag 10sp shifter, Shimano 8sp cassette, chain and derailleur) to a 1x10 50x11-34 (Campag 10sp shifter, Shimano 10sp cassette, chain and 10sp SRAM RED derailleur)

Should be kinder on my old legs 😎

The workstand and round the block tests have been successful but the real test will be the next few rides!

P.S I have already been chastised by Grumpy about that '1m white cable that must double as a lock when I go the corner cafe' 😒

He did offer an elegant solution using a V-Pipe which I will pursue in the next day or 2

20240219_160451.jpg

20240219_160501.jpg

On 2/19/2024 at 4:48 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

Right so .... on my weekend long ride I got to thinking.

How about trying that 'SRAMErgo' 10sp hodge podge, I have a derailleur. I also know someone that would surely have an old 11-3x 10sp cassette hanging around.

So I happen to see both my 'dealers' this morning over at my LBS The Workshop in Alberhoughton 

Grumpy did not disappoint of course, provided an 11-34 10sp cassette straight from the dustbin!

Big Wayne from Cape Cycles just casually mentions 'you'll need a hanger extender' ... how these okes know these things. I had one 😎

Anyway to cut a long story shorter, fitted it all and yes it works a bloody treat! I have also swopped that front 53 crank setup with a compact 50 and also a 'cool kid' Pauls Chainkeeper

Gone from a 1x8 53x11-32 (Campag 10sp shifter, Shimano 8sp cassette, chain and derailleur) to a 1x10 50x11-34 (Campag 10sp shifter, Shimano 10sp cassette, chain and 10sp SRAM RED derailleur)

Should be kinder on my old legs 😎

The workstand and round the block tests have been successful but the real test will be the next few rides!

P.S I have already been chastised by Grumpy about that '1m white cable that must double as a lock when I go the corner cafe' 😒

He did offer an elegant solution using a V-Pipe which I will pursue in the next day or 2

20240219_160451.jpg

20240219_160501.jpg

A proper bastard. 

The Yanks and Japanese working under the control of the Italians. With no infighting.  2024 is certainly weird!!!