'ShimErgo' ... Campag Shimano mix ... experiences?

NotSoBigBen

Just wondering if any hubbers have experimented with mixing these? I have heard anecdotal stories but don't know of anyone that's running any mix of these, It also really irritates me when people say ' something should work'. Thought it might be interesting to hear of 'real world' stories and how successful they've been.

And just because I'm bored and have time and a 'box(es) of stuff' I experimented with something myself of course 😜

I'll post that later .... with pics and also how the test ride went!

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

surely it's Campano (or Shimapagno)?

Don't come at me bro 😜 

Google gave me this ... no I have no idea what 'portmanteau' means

"Shimergo. This portmanteau word combines a Shimano mech and cassette with Campagnolo"

The starting point was that I have the Bianchi 'Ducati' road bike I have posted before built as a single speed ... being bored and thinking about something to keep busy I decided to experiment

It was anyway built with a set of Campag Veloce 10sp shifters of which the left lever was faulty and not working, was all good as it was really only for the brakes. It would therefore have to be a 1x which also meant no fiddling with front dérailleurs and stuff.

With some extensive research (trolled the Web for an hour) it appeared that using an 8sp Shimano derailleur and cassette would work as the 'pull ratio' was the same. Keeping in mind I don't anyway have any wheels with campag freehubs ...

Checked the 'vintage part box' as Grumpy calls it and low and behold an 11-21 8sp cassette (from my young and stupid days) and chain and an Ultegra 9sp Derailleur.

The downside ... could clearly only use 8 gears but hey for fun of it that's fine and 'BECAUSE I CAN' 😜

20230110_193700.jpg

Thankfully and this I never knew ... because as I always do I ran my idea passed Grumpy ( @GrahamW ) ... he informed me that I can't just slap a Shimano gear cable in a Campag shifter 😵  - that man is a bloody treasure trove of useful information!

Campag 10spd shifters work with sram 10spd rd and shimano/sram cassette.

4 minutes ago, NISI said:

Whoop whoop ok now we talking ... assuming you're running that?

I do have a 10sp SRAM rear derailleur and that'll certainly be my next test 😃

It’s all about cable throw, you can get an aftermarket product that you add into the shift assembly to aid the process. 
I have a chart with all the compatible specs. Will post it for you here. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, NISI said:

Ish.

Never got one to work perfectly.

2 minutes ago, droo said:

Ish.

Never got one to work perfectly.

OK then I'm not going to rush into it ... thanks droo

Going to test the 8sp botch just now and if it's OK I'll leave it like that till I'm really bored again then try the 10sp option 

Shifts fine on the bike stand but we all know that's not necessarily the litmus test!

20230524_135245.jpg

20230524_135306.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

I guess the bigger question is - why would you downgrade your campy setup like that?

2 reasons, it was single speed so if anything some would say its an upgrade having gears?

And BECAUSE I CAN 😁

So I can report that it works an absolute charm, meaning it shifts up and down perfect with no noise or any little 'over shifts' needed 😁

Clearly not for everyone or any bike ... I know I'm fortunate enough to have bikes to just try obscure stuff on so the fact it only has 8 gears and 'only' 12-21 doesn't phase me. I'll just ride it on roads that suite it, it can stay a while ... in time I may well try that 10sp option and report back then. 

P.S I'll get all the necessary bits together in the meantime for that test. I have the RD just need a chain and cassette

Edited by NotSoBigBen