4iiii Power Meter Repairs

vert space

My Power Meter has recently stopped working. i have had it since 2015 with no problems at all. I changed the battery twice to make sure that it was not a faulty battery. The APP and my Garmin are not picking it up.

Does anyone know if power meters can be repaired or not?

Thanks

Exactly, I think it's time to let it go, I hope mine will last this long ☺️

I helped two friends who had problems. Here was the first response from 4iiii.

Kerry (4iiii Innovations) 

Aug 30, 2021, 12:11 MDT 

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try the following troubleshooting to correct the issue:

If applicable, update your cycling computer to the latest firmware. 

Connect to the 4iiii app (iOS - 2.4.0; Android - 2.6.0) and ensure you have updated the power meter with the latest firmware (3.2.0). This includes the Chipolo Tracking feature. Ensure that your phone is connected to Wi-Fi.

Perform a Factory Reset via the 4iiii App to restore factory calibration values:

1. Connect to your powermeter by Adding Device
  2. Advance to the Device Settings Page by tapping the powermeter field/box
  3. Under PRECISION Settings, tap Factory Reset

Open your battery cap and gently nudge the two copper battery contacts with your finger to make sure they are well attached. There should be a little one near the edge and a large rectangular one in the centre. 

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FnaU4mJXmRVDvFSbtRi4OmVayr%2F%3Fname%3D_MG_0074.JPG&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=o7wzymtj4B3GAbN3di3Dkg--~D

If it looks like the large rectangular one is flat against the bottom, use a jeweler's screwdriver or similar tool to very gently lift the ends of the prongs 1mm off the bottom of the pod, so that they press against the battery more firmly. Make sure to hold down the center of the battery tab while lifting the prongs. 

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2F3gdM2NhNziP3sPYbkK71l4LAw%2F%3Fname%3DIMG_0703.JPG&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=ebtjNUK3Rc7_drxmyd3zYQ--~D

Then, place an upside-down (+ terminal down) battery into the pod so that it touches both of the battery contacts for a few seconds before reinstalling the battery in the correct orientation.
This will remove any residual charge. 

The powermeter takes a standard CR2032 Lithium-ion coin cell battery. Make sure to remove any stickers from the battery itself.

Check the battery cap to ensure the metal clip is present:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FUQlkoZqlphoenDoc0qEEPHKsC%2F%3Fname%3D_MG_0058.JPG&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=CYp.7sxediv1Pi2iANUstw--~D
Check locking tabs on the body are undamaged:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FFEebDoW2gXmeLTHZOJ05JNlvj%2F%3Fname%3D_MG_0070.JPG&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=0Po7acCqAmTCQhczLOTKTg--~D

Connect to your cycling computer:
  • Ensure power meter is awake (spin 4 times)

• Make sure you are paired to Left ANT+ ID (see picture)

• Remove other ANT+ sensors from the cycling computer

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2FMtM4vQEZ7SJvryW1NmpBJ5ban%2F%3Fname%3D_MG_0063.JPG&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=vbalZw4U0GJ0h6DnDqrE_g--~D

Can you also please send a screenshot of our powermeters Device Info? This is accessed through the 4iiii App Device Settings after you have connected the powermeter to the app. 

Devices>Precision>#### Settings>Device Info

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2F4iiii.zendesk.com%2Fattachments%2Ftoken%2Famu6Mi3T6QZs0cpr0Xxj5dF1O%2F%3Fname%3DImage.png&t=1685687317&ymreqid=a10d8021-f1a1-cbae-21e7-480040010a00&sig=9h.ctf.oLe12cuVddOKw6g--~D

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
Kerry 

Contact Us: 4iiii.com/support
FAQs: https://4iiii.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

They tried it, didn’t work, so they shipped it back to them.

Kerry (4iiii Innovations) 

Sep 9, 2021, 11:01 MDT 

Good morning,

Thank you for attempting the troubleshooting steps suggested. Since the powermeter is out of warranty, it was my hope that this would reset the powermeter and save you the time and money in replacing the unit. 

We are cyclists as well so I would like to offer you 50% off the cost of a Factory Installed powermeter to replace your current one; you will ship us your current crank arm with powermeter.

The cost of the repair is $299.99 - 50% = $149.99USD plus shipping and VAT (if applicable).

*You will be given shipping options and rates prior to finalizing the purchase in our online shop, so simply proceeding to the shipping method during checkout is a good way of determining these costs. You will have to inquire about what the VAT costs might be as we are not able to estimate these for you. 

With this replacement, your powermeter will come with a full three (3) year warranty from the replacement order date. 

Please let me know if you would like to take advantage of this and I can send you the further ordering details.

Thanks,

Kerry 

Contact Us: 4iiii.com/support
FAQs: https://4iiii.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

This thread has made me very glad that I have a 4iiii power meter - at last some proper customer service. I really liked the troubleshooting tips, simple steps yet detailed enough to cover any easy fixes. Well done 4iii.

47 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

This thread has made me very glad that I have a 4iiii power meter - at last some proper customer service. I really liked the troubleshooting tips, simple steps yet detailed enough to cover any easy fixes. Well done 4iii.

much better than Rotor that basically showed me the middle finger. I ended up throwing away a R10k crankset after less than 6 months of use. Now I've got left arm 4iiiis on both my road bikes and they have shown more consistency than some spided based units.

Also by the way, since we are singing their praises, they have updated the firmware for the last gen, that is now just as good as the prev gen. 

Edited by Jbr

I did that factory reset & restore calibration values a couple of years back which brought my powermeter back to life and it worked flawlessly for years after that. The most difficult thing about it was finding an old phone that would run the old version of their software. Think I had to dig out a Samsung S3 to get it working 😂

c33c81f8-820a-4420-a65a-7f0f9d6a4313.jpeg
introducing the 4iiii crank buyback trade in program you get cash when you send us an old crank arm

Looking to reduce your footprint while saving money? 

Our Ride Ready reCYCLED Cranks are lightly used Shimano cranks with a brand new 4iiii PRECISION or PRECISION 3 Powermeter. All Ride Ready reCYCLED Cranks have the same accuracy and reliability at an even better price!

If next-to-new will work for you, check out our selection of reCYCLED cranks starting at $214.99 USD, while quantities last!

5 STAR REVIEWS FOR 4iiii 
RIDE READY reCYCLED CRANKS!
"4iiii had a previously ridden option at a price I couldn't ignore. I was expecting to see a crank arm that looked like it had been ridden and the condition was way beyond expectation!"
★★★★★
"Arrived and looks like new, very happy with the purchase."
★★★★★
"Bought a clearance left side power meter from 4iiii. Shipping was quick to the US. The clearance left cranks are previously owned left cranks to which 4iiii installs their PM. Could hardly tell that the crank arm had been previously used."
★★★★★
RIDE READYreCYCLED

b30ad606-3aaf-483d-822c-3cd222423ca3.jpe
PRECISION 3 Powermeter 
Left-Side 
Ride Ready reCYCLED
Starting at $267.99 USD
2ecaa87b-a077-46eb-bce2-eeeb6db4e793.jpe
PRECISION Powermeter 
Left-Side 
Ride Ready reCYCLED
Starting at $214.99 USD
37598dcf-61b4-4c34-bf15-82ceb81f653f.jpeg

Have an extra Shimano crank you aren't using?  Send it to us and receive cash for it!

#PoweredBy4iiii

Facebook

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I bought mine at a very good price when 4iiii introduced them.  I sent my SRAM Rival crank to them for installation.  Unfortunately they can only replace if i send my crank to them at my cost. Cost of having SRAM i guess.  I am not happy to spend the extra money on a courier . After riding with a PM for a while I have come to the conclusion that i don't really need it when on group rides. I only use it properly when doing interval training on the IDT in winter.

So I will submit an insurance claim and hopefully they are happy to give me the cash which would help to buy  other gear 

1 hour ago, shaper said:

yeah... I got my precision 3 2 months ago when I bought my SL7... doesn't have those serial numbers, bit *** that you have to send it to canada to unlock that feature, not worth it