Which cross country to get?

goosy

Hi all

my wife has started cycling a few months ago on a cheap GT which I bought for 1.5K. She is into it now and I got her a trek xcalibre 9 yesterday which was sold here on bikehub.  

While doing all the research and watching numerous youtube videos on part comparisons, the cycle bug has bitten me now too, and I want to give it a go.

I would like to get something I do not have to replace again in the next few months as I get fitter and faster. My budget is 20k.

Ill be mostly doing tar and gravel. I am 1.90cm and around 100kg. 

Any recommendations? Thanks

1 hour ago, goosy said:

Ill be mostly doing tar and gravel.

Sounds like you need a gravel bike with two wheel sets.

At 1.9m you probably need >60cm.

At R20k you're going to get alloy/alu, but thats not always a bad thing.

Budget for a decent alloy hardtail with a few add ons. Helmet, tubeless etc 

Titan Racing, Signal, Silverback and Marvel are all some of the options that will be a good first call. Good spec, geometry and support to go along with the pricing.
In brief, this will be tubeless-ready tyres, 1x groupset and an air fork. 

2 hours ago, goosy said:

Hi all

my wife has started cycling a few months ago on a cheap GT which I bought for 1.5K. She is into it now and I got her a trek xcalibre 9 yesterday which was sold here on bikehub.  

While doing all the research and watching numerous youtube videos on part comparisons, the cycle bug has bitten me now too, and I want to give it a go.

I would like to get something I do not have to replace again in the next few months as I get fitter and faster. My budget is 20k.

Have a look at Zini as well. Very good specs for the price. I would suggest either the Zini trail or elite. You get a 1X drivetrain,  hydraulic disc brakes ,both  from Shimano, and an adjustable air fork.

Think the trail retails for around R11 500 and the Elite for around R15 000, which leaves you room for upgrades and/or accessories.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will go through them tonight. 

I also don't mind a used/second hand bike if it's in great condition and could get me better components for the same amount or less.

Edited by goosy

4 hours ago, goosy said:

Hi all

Hang on a minute, I have an XL, I built it, listed it, no-one wanted it so I stripped it again. It is currently just the frame but I do have a few parts to complete the build 

20230505_121157.jpg

13 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Hang on a minute, I have an XL, I built it, listed it, no-one wanted it so I stripped it again. It is currently just the frame but I do have a few parts to complete the build 

20230505_121157.jpg

That's a good looking bike. I'll drop you a PM

20 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Try hustle a Titan Racing Switch at that price. Should be perfect for you and your intentions. Seem to have been a few deals lately. 

👍👍👍