IndieVelo

Matu

Hi Hub, 

Has anyone tried IndieVelo?

Installed yesterday to check the graphics.

Been reading some comments and some people are loving racing there...

Will do a ride this week and share my thoughts

https://indievelo.com/

Edited by Matu
spelling

Certainly looks interesting, with the main focus being on racing.

It will be interesting to see if they get the numbers for some proper races.

34 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Thank you, I was under the impression that they still busy testing, will download and install tonight.

No worries!

They also do dual recording from the word go, 

There's also wind.

Would be good to see how much traction they get and how other players (Zwift, RGT) respond to the new competitor

1 minute ago, Schnavel said:

Certainly looks interesting, with the main focus being on racing.

It will be interesting to see if they get the numbers for some proper races.

Per my reading, they currently have a number of BOTS, but they have some sort of AI and a CP number that enables the BOT to act on its own accord depending on the CP given.

Sounds cool

and will they do workouts? hoping so.

I also see if you buy in now @ 12.99 per month you will get reduced rated later, so I am not holding my breath for much better pricing than compared to Zwift or the likes.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

47 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

and will they do workouts? hoping so.

I also see if you buy in now @ 12.99 per month you will get reduced rated later, so I am not holding my breath for much better pricing than compared to Zwift or the likes.

apparently workouts are there already and comparable to Zwift.

Pricing-wise, I don't think you'll get much of a saving, but competition is always good.

I'll take a few screenshots and share

Instructions are not exactly straight forward? Where is the download link?

Everything they send is more of a FAQ?

• 5 months later...

I tried Indievelo this morning, just a quick ride with a bot group. It seems quite good so far, should be interesting to see how events etc work, for the inevitable bad weather days where I don't feel like yet another VO2 workout on Trainerroad.

• 4 months later...

I tried IndieVelo out for the first time yesterday (Cape of storms), and it's almost indistinguishable from Zwift. Mainly less features and gamification, but perfectly viable as a free virtual training app. To me, it's the perfect solution - I cycle indoors less than 20x per year so I am too cheap to pay R300 a month for a subscription (on top of gym fees, bike maintenance, events, nutrition, permits, kit, etc, etc)

Since last week's update it is available to all on Android; and currently the iOS version is available to subscribers.

The bots' AI is pretty good, enough that even races with mostly bots can be interesting. But there are events with no bots if you prefer. https://events.indievelohub.com/
I like that the wind direction and draft has an impact on your trainer resistance.

Different areas in Zwift are more visually distinct though, much easier to know where you are on a route.

Edited by HdB

I have also tried Indievelo (along with pretty much ALL the other virtual sims, none of the other ones got close to grabbing my attention). It is a direct competitor to zwift but worse in many ways - far less people, routes, gamification, training plans, worse graphical design, etc. Zwift racing also has no peer in my opinion.

However, it has some KEY advantages:

1. Zwift is amazing but justifying 17 USD per month is hard when there is a similar option for free (for now)

2. Indievelo allows for offsetting of your gears. Not the "trainer difficulty" setting that just changes the slope simulation (although they have that too) - with Indievelo I can actually do fast speeds on the flat without spinning out on my gravel bike, which I can't in Zwift. Potentially fixed with virtual gearing, but only limited trainer supported for now.

3. Indievelo has a functioning gradient / profile map (this is more an annoyance that Zwift just can't get this right for some reason)

I've cancelled zwift and it will remain cancelled until indievelo starts charging, after which I'll have to re-evaluate.

They released their apple tv version, keen to try that. I havent managed to see if TrainingPeaks workouts sync.