Newbie to cycling - asking advice for entry level road bike to buy

Thoneshan

Hi all, 

I'm a marathon runner and now looking to transition to cycling, but my google search so far says this is quite a complex (and possibly expensive) sport to get into.
Can I get some suggestions for entry level road bikes to buy, my budget is R5k and can stretch a little bit. I aim to ride the 947 this year.  
I'm happy to  buy a pre-owned bike, but what should I look out for when inspecting a pre-owned bike?
I'm 1.81cm and live in Joburg area.

Appreciate your advice.

Hi 

So this comment is based on my experience so please take it with a pinch of salt. Cycling is not really a cheap sport (but that's all relative) and it can even be more expensive when you have little experience and knowledge. Mistakes can be costly.

1. Size of bike: You need to ensure that whatever bike you buy fits you. My first bike was an entry level size 57 (top tube legth) which was way to big for me. The shop owner probably new and didn't say anything but my shoulders, lower back and knees let me know.  We are similar in hieght but I have long legs and a short torso. I ride a size 56 with a 100m stem and 172.5mm cranks and that somehow works for me.
  2. Components: At your price point you will probably get an alloy bike, which is absolutely fine to get used to the sport. It may not be the coolest bike in the block but it will do the job. The market has changed a bit so prices are slightly higher. For reference, in 2020 I got an alloy 8 speed (shimano claris) for R4500. Just make sure the components are not old, that means the chain, chainrings cassette etc. Look out for rust. You can ask to meet your potential seller at a bike shop and ask the shop to do a basic inspection for you.
  3. Buy decent Bibshorts: I won't get into the weeds about this as the are numerous threads discussing which bib shorts are superior etc. But just get shorts that are comfortable as bike saddles can be a pain to deal with when you start out. I am big unit so whatever bibshorts I use, my bum will complain after a while. But I have used Ciovita Corsa, First Ascent Domestique and Pro. Just make sure you try them on before buying any Bibshorts 

I'm sure other more experienced hubbers will provide some guidance as well. There will be some trial and error but with accurate info you can keep the cost of those errors relatively low.

Edited by Ncayi

3 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

Hi 

So this comment is based on my experience so please take it with a pinch of salt. Cycling is not really a cheap sport (but that's all relative) and it can even be more expensive when you have little experience and knowledge. Mistakes can be costly.

1. Size of bike: You need to ensure that whatever bike you buy fits you. My first bike was I used entry level size 57 (top tube legth) which was way to big for me. The shop owner probably new and didn't say anything but my shoulder, lower back and knees let me know.  We are similar in hieght but I have long legs and a short torso. I ride a size 56 with a 100m stem and 172.5mm cranks and that somehow works for me.
  2. Components: At your price point you will probably get an alloy bike, which is absolutely fine to get used to the sport. It may not be the coolest bike in the block but it will do the job. The market has changed a bit so prices are slightly higher. For reference, in 2020 I got an alloy 8 speed (shimano claris) for R4500. Just make sure the components are not old, that means the chain, chainrings cassette etc. Look out for rust. You can ask to meet your potential seller at a bike shop and ask the shop to do a basic inspection for you.
  3. Buy decent Bibshorts: I won't get into the weeds about this as the are numerous threads discussing which bib shorts are superior etc. But just get shorts that are comfortable as bike saddles can be a pain to deal with when you start out. I am big unit so whatever bibshorts I use, my bum will complain after a while. But I have used Ciovita Corsa, First Ascent Domestique and Pro. Just make sure you try them on before buying any Bibshorts 

I'm sure other more experienced rubbers will provide some guidance as well. There will be some trial and error but with accurate info you can keep the cost of those errors relatively low.

Thanks Ncayi, that's super useful and will keep in mind

Expensive is relative to the amount of disposable income/savings that you have. Once setup, it isn’t as costly as one would think, again relative to starting out.

Facebook has a second hand bike group, where there are some good deals on their.

If you don’t have a friend who knows a bit about bikes, feel free to ask questions, or post links to the bikes you’re interested in. A bike shop can also in telling you the condition of the components.

Lastly, you don’t mention your weight. Some wheels aren’t built to handle the buffalo riders (>100kg). That’s also something to consider if you fit into that category.

If you come from many years of being active, marathons in your case, it's likely that you'll be cycling for a long time, as opposed to giving it up as a novelty after a few months. So, instead, save up a little more and aim for a better-specced used bike than what R5K will get you. At R5K you WILL need to upgrade here and there in the first couple of years which would be costlier in the long run.  Keep a keen eye on the classifieds, bargains may pop up and knowledgeable hubbers can offer opinions.

29 minutes ago, KidCharlemagne said:

save up a little more and aim for a better-specced used bike than what R5K will get you. At R5K you WILL need to upgrade here and there in the first couple of years which would be costlier in the long run.

I don't like telling people keen to start riding to wait, but in this case saving up is the right advice.

Where I disagree with the comment is the "in the first couple of years" part. If you buy a R5k bike you will have to immediately spend money to get it in good running order. At the very least a service, new chain, tyres, cables. Add to that the need for riding gear and you've spent another R5k already.

What you are considering is equivalent to suggesting to a prospective runner running their first marathon to do so in whatever shoes and kit they have lying around the house. They won't have a good experience, and they won't continue with the sport.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Expensive is relative to the amount of disposable income/savings that you have. Once setup, it isn’t as costly as one would think, again relative to starting out.

Facebook has a second hand bike group, where there are some good deals on their.

If you don’t have a friend who knows a bit about bikes, feel free to ask questions, or post links to the bikes you’re interested in. A bike shop can also in telling you the condition of the components.

Lastly, you don’t mention your weight. Some wheels aren’t built to handle the buffalo riders (>100kg). That’s also something to consider if you fit into that category.

Thanks, I'm scouting out the facebook posts for deals but will post in this forum once I've found something of inerest. Cycling is far more technical now than when I had my first BMX bike back in the 80's...

I'm 78kg 

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

I don't like telling people keen to start riding to wait, but in this case saving up is the right advice.

Where I disagree with the comment is the "in the first couple of years" part. If you buy a R5k bike you will have to immediately spend money to get it in good running order. At the very least a service, new chain, tyres, cables. Add to that the need for riding gear and you've spent another R5k already.

What you are considering is equivalent to suggesting to a prospective runner running their first marathon to do so in whatever shoes and kit they have lying around the house. They won't have a good experience, and they won't continue with the sport.

The running analogy is so true... 

5 hours ago, Thoneshan said:

Hi all, 

I'm a marathon runner and now looking to transition to cycling, but my google search so far says this is quite a complex (and possibly expensive) sport to get into.
Can I get some suggestions for entry level road bikes to buy, my budget is R5k and can stretch a little bit. I aim to ride the 947 this year.  
I'm happy to  buy a pre-owned bike, but what should I look out for when inspecting a pre-owned bike?
I'm 1.81cm and live in Joburg area.

Appreciate your advice.

When buying second hand take a chain checker tool with. YouTube has many videos showing how to use it. A worn out chain and therefore very likely casette can push a new purchase way over budget very quickly. 

Most people's entry to this sport including mine is to buy a cheap bike and then when the bug bites, which it tends to do very hard 'cos it's just so much fun, almost immediately be consumed with the desire to upgrade so I echo the advice of others here, spend as much as you can off the bat because in the medium term it will save you money.

You should be able to get a Cannondale CAAD for R5k. Those are easy bikes to live with and while not aero or carbon are not going to hold you back for quite a few years if you put decent tyres on. They are easy to get to a light weight and durable. 

Hi all,
One of the options is a Giant TCR c2 as shown in the pictures and is on sale for R7k (neg). 
Do you have any views on this bike and the price?
Also the size looks like 55.5 which I'm struggling to find on google - do  you know about the Giant size 55.5?  I'm 1.81m and 78 kg and think will be around the right size for me?

343758994_6652419844777577_273641286151437409_n.jpg

345464316_5640919929342638_8223544324636808469_n.jpg

345527825_6613773871975567_4293389489912189995_n.jpg

349994716_9711111755595864_6804788786847810799_n.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-30 at 12.26.58.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-30 at 14.20.43.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-30 at 14.21.01.jpg

Would negotiate them down a bit, the tyres will need replacing and the gears look like they're at least halfway through their lifespan, which makes chain replacement questionable to extend the drivetrain lifespan and to find replacement parts.