Carbon frames in SA

tinmug

It seems few shops sell carbon frames (MTB, both HT and FS) in South Africa.

Who are the (local) manufacturers? I know about Pyga 🤩 and Core. But who else is out there? Recommendations? Experience with any of these? Worth importing?

Exploring going lighter for the wife's bike. She's running reasonably good bits on an ageing and heavy full-suspension frame; could be handy to carry those (inasmuch as could be carried over, probably not rear shock) over to a lighter frame. 

Hardtail is tempting for the weight saving (and simplicity). 

But also just curious who makes carbon frames in SA. 

Not sure if Rush are doing the Signal Spectra. I have yet to see this carbon bike in a retail environment. 

The Spectre isn’t officially available yet.

Pyga is locally made, the Mobu would be the one to go for. Not cheap and not exceptionally light but man is it well made!

other frame sets in carbon would be Specialized S-Works epic, trek supercalibre in project one, ibis Exie, and Giant anthem. Core is an open mould Chinese frame with some customisation for the brand. You can probably order something direct if you have the patience 

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Pyga is locally made, the Mobu would be the one to go for. Not cheap and not exceptionally light but man is it well made!

other frame sets in carbon would be Specialized S-Works epic, trek supercalibre in project one, ibis Exie, and Giant anthem. Core is an open mould Chinese frame with some customisation for the brand. You can probably order something direct if you have the patience 

Sling bikes are local. Only available in titanium but they can custom make a frame and or build.

50 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Exploring going lighter for the wife's bike. She's running reasonably good bits on an ageing and heavy full-suspension frame; could be handy to carry those (inasmuch as could be carried over, probably not rear shock) over to a lighter frame. 

Hardtail is tempting for the weight saving (and simplicity). 

But also just curious who makes carbon frames in SA. 

How ageing are we talking? If it's non-Boost maybe sell as is and get a complete new bike.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Sling bikes are local. Only available in titanium but they can custom make a frame and or build.

Op specifically wanted carbon so I didn’t offer metallic options because then I would have thrown in mercer bikes as well

(Get well soon Dave!)

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The Mobu looks amazing. But yeah. 🤑 Ibis available locally (as a frame-only arrangement)?

2 hours ago, Barry said:

The Sling does look good (much better than ate-something-sour face of their aircraft 😅), and the attitude of the Sling founders is infectious (have been following their antics for many years). But better half favours carbon (she already has a steel GB). 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

How ageing are we talking? If it's non-Boost maybe sell as is and get a complete new bike.

Not that old really, boost hubs. She'll likely want to keep her current frame (because god knows the 5 bikes in the garage is nearly enough yet!); so a nice rebuild project sounds like a nice way to upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Giant Bicycles South Africa said:

Have you had a look at our Giant Anthem Advanced Pro frame? https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/anthem-advanced-pro-29-frame

Really nice. Really, really nice. Price?

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Op specifically wanted carbon so I didn’t offer metallic options because then I would have thrown in mercer bikes as well

(Get well soon Dave!)

Also darn nice, admired the Mercers in the article that appeared about Dave somewhere recently. But yeah, carbon (at least you think it's lighter). 😂

Edited by tinmug