Dualride Pedals

Thoneshan

Hi,
I just started cycling in July 2023 and have a hybrid bike Fuji one.3 with normal pedals. My intention is to ride Amashova & 947, and don't plan on using this bike for any off road trails. The most would be riding around the local parks in Jhb like Emmarantia / Zoo lake.

I'm in the process of buying SPD bike shoes and looking to get these concept dual ride pedals from Sportsmans Warehouse, to suit the races and casual rides.

Has anyone tried them out and any reviews / suggestions.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/concept-dualride-pedal/ 

image.png.94ed98027c93df2e629340799665e42e.png

I would probably go for a Shimano EH500 over the cheeper stuff way better quality and will last longer. For your application you would probably get away with a decent set of flats and comfortable shoes. I am not a fan of the 50/50 thing fiddling for 2min to find the correct side to clip before you move off. 

My suggestion would be that if you are going to go with clipless pedals to get something like the shimano PD-520. A fully dedicated clipless pedal. I began riding clipless with this dual type of pedal and trying to find the right side to clip in can be a real pain. It was so nice to switch over to a dedicated pedal and it is so much easier to clip in. With a dedicate pedal you can pretty much just stamp on it and you are clipped in and good to go. Once you have the shoes you will probably find yourself riding clipped in 95% of the time anyway

12 minutes ago, Brett CT said:

My suggestion would be that if you are going to go with clipless pedals to get something like the shimano PD-520. A fully dedicated clipless pedal. I began riding clipless with this dual type of pedal and trying to find the right side to clip in can be a real pain. It was so nice to switch over to a dedicated pedal and it is so much easier to clip in. With a dedicate pedal you can pretty much just stamp on it and you are clipped in and good to go. Once you have the shoes you will probably find yourself riding clipped in 95% of the time anyway

☝️ what Brett said.

Check out the classifieds for some m520's, these look good...

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/pedals/653275/shimano-pd-m520-mtb-pedals

Don't forget to practice once you've got the new pedals ON GRASS. EVERYONE will fall, clipped in, on you first couple of rides.

You just forget to unclip, stop and BAM, you're on the ground. Your brain needs that experience a few times to let it sink in that you must unclip before stopping. Once you've got it mastered, you'll never look back...