[Event] Tour de Worcester Road Race

MyriadEventsSA

Event Name: Tour de Worcester Road Race
When: 10/09/2023
Where: Nuy, Western Cape
Category: Road

The Tour de Worcester is an iconic race of long standing. We have 2 distances to please everyone. A challenging 140km which starts in the Nuy Valley and heads out to Rawsonville before returning and looping around the Nuy Valley a couple of times. Then we have an 86km race that misses out on the loops. Join us at Leipzig Farm for some relaxation afterwards with wine tasting and beers from Saggy Stone, as well as the Leipzig renown Flammkucken to nibble on.

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Is this a road race or a gravel race? I’m confused. 

You need to follow the link to their webpage.  Scroll down to "Cources and Distances"

Here you see:

- Criterium event detail

- ROAD event detail

- GRAVEL event detail

Might have helped to have a single page on the Hub and then clarifying the various options ....

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

You need to follow the link to their webpage.  Scroll down to "Cources and Distances"

Here you see:

- Criterium event detail

- ROAD event detail

- GRAVEL event detail

Might have helped to have a single page on the Hub and then clarifying the various options ....

Yeah but on the road race is talking about doing a gravel climb 3 times?

21 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Jip ... very confusing ....

3 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

There's a 3km stretch of gravel that we do every yea. The route changes every year (or most years) but always includes this gravel climb. This year it's done 3 times, but even so 9km gravel in a 140km race is still a road race.

10 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

There's a 3km stretch of gravel that we do every yea. The route changes every year (or most years) but always includes this gravel climb. This year it's done 3 times, but even so 9km gravel in a 140km race is still a road race.

This gravel section. Is it all uphill? 

29 minutes ago, Mamil said:

This gravel section. Is it all uphill? 

There's a very short downhill of about 200m in it. If you're sensible you just freewheel it. Last year I was in the breakaway and Alan Hatherly attacked the entire segment to thin out the breakaway numbers so we pedalled full gas through the decent and only hit 45km/h max speed. Here's the segment:
https://www.strava.com/segments/6002208

Edited by bleedToWin

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

There's a very short downhill of about 200m in it. If you're sensible you just freewheel it. Last year I was in the breakaway and Alan Hatherly attacked the entire segment to thin out the breakaway numbers so we pedalled full gas through the decent and only hit 45km/h max speed. Here's the segment:
https://www.strava.com/segments/6002208

as far as I remember it was also fullgas in the chasing group. Not very keen on doing it 3 times this year... I wasn't sure what to pick between Ceder and TdW. I'm thinking Ceder now

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

as far as I remember it was also fullgas in the chasing group. Not very keen on doing it 3 times this year... I wasn't sure what to pick between Ceder and TdW. I'm thinking Ceder now

Do you have a link to the Ceder event ?  (not seeing it on the Hub Events)

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I wasn't sure what to pick between Ceder and TdW. I'm thinking Ceder now

The Saturday crit not drawing you in?

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

The Saturday crit not drawing you in?

ouh, not sure who's going to make the effort to go ride that crit the saturday and stay the weekend in Worcester on the same weekend as the Ceder. If it's to end up in a 10 guys race like half that crit series we had earlier in the year I'd rather do something else. Plus I'm not exactly in Crit shape right now 🤣

Edited by Jbr

I think the new route could be interesting. The gravel climb straight out the gate followed by 80km flat (and possibly windy) before doing the 30km loop with the gravel climb twice, and then finishing the race with a long drag climb sprint a good 23km after the final climb. Hard race to predict.