Welcome back Tom

betaboy

Hmm....For now just an ambassador...is there a next step? Perhaps too big a risk. He retired, came back, retired again. Most teams may be hesitant to back him. Every year the pro-peloton demands more, both mentally and physically. But did he have talent..OH HELL YEAH! Imagine a TdF with an in form Pogacar, Vingegaard, Evenepoel and Dumoulin. 

6 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Hmm....For now just an ambassador...is there a next step? Perhaps too big a risk. He retired, came back, retired again. Most teams may be hesitant to back him. Every year the pro-peloton demands more, both mentally and physically. But did he have talent..OH HELL YEAH! Imagine a TdF with an in form Pogacar, Vingegaard, Evenepoel and Dumoulin. 

When I say back, I mean on the bike, he was away from it like mentally. If you’d followed his progress, this was a big deal! Hehated the bike, so to see him back on and enjoying it.. for me is a return in many ways, sure he might not go all the way to a Pro Tour position but at least his not a Froome who really should hang it up! Tom is the nicest guy who fell into the trap of Cycling Fame!

Expecting to see him on a gravel bike soon, although that chilled, flannel vibe is dying extremely fast with the prize money on offer.

28 minutes ago, Mamil said:

It is an interesting thing - to be so talented at something and yet also to feel that it takes more than it gives.

what did he win again, grand tours, world champs, olympic medals? can;t remember much more beyond the World Boskak champs.

It's HARD being a pro cyclist. riding bikes is fun, but when you are forced to do it - not so much.

Must be way more fun than being an olympic level swimmer. the amount of pool training to maybe potentially have your name in lights once every four years must be. Plenty of elites retire "young", not surprised to see more cyclists doing it these days.

He has been very clear that he has no intention of ever going back to serious competitive riding incl gravel.

Says he is very happy being a cycling commentator for NOS

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

It is an interesting thing - to be so talented at something and yet also to feel that it takes more than it gives.

This was my main reason for not going pro.